[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

On 2/2/2019 at 2:50 PM, NavyFish said:

Anyway, I have no decision here. If someone wants to take over maintenance of this mod, given the full disclosure above, then feel free to contact me and we can figure out how to proceed. Otherwise I will do my best to give this plugin some love when the time and opportunity affords itself.

@NavyFish

Of course I don't need another mod to maintain.

But, I'd be willing to take this over in a maintenance mode, with no promise of any refactoring.  This is absolutely essential for me, so I'd be willing to deal with it.

LGG

On 2/2/2019 at 12:50 PM, NavyFish said:

If you're willing to help set that up it could be a really good thing for this plugin.  I have really neglected DPAI for most of this/last year. Not going to go into the details but there have been some large shifts in my personal/professional life that have basically eliminated any free time I used to have for playing video games.  I honestly haven't played KSP other than to test the mod since early 2015.

I've been reticent to completely hand over the mod to another developer for maintenance but perhaps it is time to do so as I clearly have not prioritized updates into the rest of my schedule. 

Part of my reluctance to do so is that the codebase feels super messy.  The feature set of this mod has expanded substantially since the first release and so the whole thing really is due for a complete refactor. Furthermore, the KSP API seems to have evolved tremendously (not to mention the new unity gui stuff... I'm still using immediate mode gui in DPAI...) since I first wrote the plugin back around KSP 0.21 or so.  I'm sure DPAI could take advantage of several of the new game events and other hooks that have been added. TBH I'm surprised and happy the this thing still works at all given the numerous KSP API changes it has withstood.

Anyway, I have no decision here. If someone wants to take over maintenance of this mod, given the full disclosure above, then feel free to contact me and we can figure out how to proceed. Otherwise I will do my best to give this plugin some love when the time and opportunity affords itself.

I must admit to feeling a bit sad that I am no longer really involved with this fantastic community as I was in the past. I think that speaks volumes to the quality of the folks we find here.

Best regards for now

Navy

I'm still working on moving, but I've done a bit of research and this looks completely possible. I'll keep reading up on it and when I get where I'm headed next (mid-April) I'll clone the repo and see about automating the build/release process. Then I can work with you to walk through setting it up.

Any chance you could either give me a rundown on your steps to go from code-change to release on ckan/spacedock/wherever, or else point me to a post where you've done this already? Automating builds I can do, but I've never actually built a KSP mod, so I'm not sure what all goes into it from code to release.

Thanks!

Edited by Casvah

On 2/26/2019 at 2:19 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

@NavyFish

Of course I don't need another mod to maintain.

But, I'd be willing to take this over in a maintenance mode, with no promise of any refactoring.  This is absolutely essential for me, so I'd be willing to deal with it.

LGG

PLEASE do!!!  I wholeheartedly agree that this tool is "essential" to game play. Beyond belief that this functionality is not native to the game and that there is no alternative to this single offering from NavyFish. This has been a mainstay in my toolbox and fortunately still works despite module managers warnings, but is inevitable that it will eventually cease to work if someone with the skills does not keep it going.

Dockers,

Here's the long awaited update to KSP 1.6.1.   I am sorry it has been so long.  @linuxgurugamer  @Casvah @micha  and everyone else.... thank you for your offers of assistance. I'm going to do better about maintaining this mod (I know, I know.. we've heard that one before ;-) ), so let's hold off on any transition plans for the time being. And now...

DPAI Updated to 6.8.3:

Version 6.8.3 - 03/03/18

• [updated] Recompiled for KSP 1.6.1
  • [fixed] RPM MFD Display would not work unless DPAI UI app was toggled visible at least once
  • [fixed] Module Manager warnings

Download From Curse Forge

Edited by NavyFish

55 minutes ago, NavyFish said:

Dockers,

Here's the long awaited update to KSP 1.6.1.   I am sorry it has been so long.  @linuxgurugamer  @Casvah @micha  and everyone else.... thank you for your offers of assistance. I'm going to do better about maintaining this mod (I know, I know.. we've heard that one before ;-) ), so let's hold off on any transition plans for the time being. And now...

DPAI Updated to 6.8.3:

Version 6.8.3 - 03/03/18

• [updated] Recompiled for KSP 1.6.1
  • [fixed] RPM MFD Display would not work unless DPAI UI app was toggled visible at least once
  • [fixed] Module Manager warnings

Download From Curse Forge

Just curious, how long does this take to get into CKAN?

12 hours ago, NavyFish said:

Dockers,

Thank you very, very much!

On 3/3/2019 at 2:40 PM, NavyFish said:

DPAI Updated to 6.8.3:

Awesome!

Hands down, the all-time-fav / they-should-pay-you-to-make-this-stock / so-useful-it's-impossible-to-play-KSP-without-it mod is updated! 

Thanks for all your work!

(Is that too many exclamations?? :D )

@NavyFish Glad to hear you're still keeping it up. Two questions:

1) Since I intend to figure out how to automate KSP addon deployment anyways (because I want to learn to make addons and also I'm lazy) would you like a walkthrough still when I get it working?

2) Is there any official documentation on this plugin or do we just read through this 56 page long post? Only reason I ask is because I don't know what "RMP" is in your changenotes...

33 minutes ago, Casvah said:

@NavyFish Glad to hear you're still keeping it up. Two questions:

2) Is there any official documentation on this plugin or do we just read through this 56 page long post? Only reason I ask is because I don't know what "RMP" is in your changenotes...

First of all, let me add my thanks to Navy for updating this super mod.  Definitely on my "must have" list.

Having said that, for future reference I'll just note that the "NavHud" mod provides similar functionality and much more in a (to me) slightly less appealing way.

Finally, to address Casvah's second question:

"RPM" is short for RasterPropMonitor, a perfectly wonderful mod that makes IVAs (the view from inside your command pod) much more fun and immersive.  This mod is integrated with RPM so that you can dock efficiently from inside the command pod: lots of fun!  "MFD" is short for "MultiFunction Display", which is the cockpit display inside of RPM on which the DPAI information is displayed when using RPM.  Unfortunately, RPM is now deprecated and is being replaced by a new mod which (for now) does not have DPAI integration as far as I know.

Really finally, the first video on the first page of this thread gives you a good idea about how to use this mod:

1) select "control from here" for the docking port on your craft

2) select "set as target" for the docking port that you want to dock to

3) turn on SAS and RCS

4) hit keys on your keyboard until you find out which ones move the different cross hairs which direction... (wasd centers the orange crosshair (angle), ijkl centers the yellow (velocity) and green (position))

5) center everything using those keys

6) accelerate toward your target with the h key, decelerate with n

7) dock slowly!

Good luck!

Ainamogel

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 10:03 AM, RW-1 said:

I've updated but not seing the icon when in ships, I'm fairly sure my file structure is as explained, anyone else having this issue?

I'm having the same issue. The icon isn't in my toolbar and it doesn't automagically pull up when I target another port (while controlling my ship from a port). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 3:21 AM, micha said:

@RW-1 and @dbentbroad : works fine for me and I don't use RPM either.  Try it in a vanilla version of KSP (no other mods) and if that works, then it might be one of your other mods interfering.

I'm sure it may be a mod, but none of my mods have changed between updates. I'll miss it for simplicity in IVA because it enhanced the realism using in cockpit screens, but I'm just going to uninstall for now revert to the internal navball/noggin method.

UPDATE:

Well, I had a fresh copy of 1.7.0 anyway, so I just started moving my mods over to gamedata starting with DPAI first, checking if it stayed up after each. To my amazement I had t through all of my mods.

So then I did the last thing, recopied my save folder over, and I still have it. Something must have been borked somewhere. but I don't know where. Anyways I have it back for now, which makes the IVA slightly easier overall.

Edited by RW-1
Update

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.