[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

how do i use this mod when i do a docking with mechjeb?

IMHO: Not at all. Its for manual docking. Kick out mechjeb, seriously, its killing the fun.

Well it might frustrating if you don't get something accomplished (anyway that's what quicksaves are for) but its so more satisfying if you can get it done by hand.

Essentially you don't. I agree that you should try it yourself. If you still want to use MechJeb, I'd say let it line you up, then turn it off, roll the way you want it to be, and then either dock yourself or turn MechJeb back on.

Disclaimer: I've never used MechJeb and don't know if the above is possible. I can't imagine, though, that it's not.

It will automatically open when you select a docking port as your "control from here" part and select a docking port as target on the other vessel. While it's not strictly needed with Mechjeb, I use it with MJ to monitor the progress of the docking, especially because it gives accurate closing speed and distance between docking ports readings. During long automatic maneuvers (like moving a tug from one end of a station to the other) I find this handy because MJ is somewhat opaque as to what it's actually doing. In other cases, MJ can sometimes try and approach with (IMO) too high a lateral velocity, this mod lets me detect that, disable autodocking, and tap 'H' (or 'N' as appropriate) to kill the closing velocity and allow for better lateral alignment before re-enabling autodocking.

Ignore the folks who try to tell you how to play. It's your game, your choice. Not theirs.

Usually i only use auto-docking when i'm really not in the mood to concentrate on such a maneuver.

When i dock, here's how it works:

I set a Custom window on MJ with speed and position relative to target target (it's all between the "Control From Here" part and the target dock) and then can check how everythin's doing more precisely.

Also, set SmartA.S.S. to "PAR-" in the target section once you get into translation mode, saves you some work with the orange circle thingy.

Kick out mechjeb, seriously, its killing the fun.

Appointing oneself as the arbiter of others' fun is even less fun, wouldn't you agree? :wink:

That said, it's not strictly necessary with MJ and you won't get the most use out of it that way. Several pages back, I explained how the DPAI will let anyone dock manually far faster and more efficiently than an autopilot can anyhow.

I used ORDA computer to dock before Docking port alignment. Docking was automatic, like with MJ.

Seriously, DPA is so easy to use, even with big ship ( easier if your ship is well balanced) that it's a waste of time to use automatic docking. It's so easy that you can warp during docking process to save time.

Try RCSBuildAid to balance RCS when building your ship. It will help greatly..

I tried the MechJeb auto-docking once, just to see what it did. I quickly burst out laughing and turned it back off again as it was doing things all wrong. It may get the job done, eventually, but there are much better ways to go about it. You'll even have RCS left over at the end, too.

Manual docking really is simple, once you figure out the concepts. Tools like this indicator take "simple" and make it "easy."

Awesome mod Navyfish!!! BY FAR THE BEST AND EASIEST docking addon ever, I have problems docking manually, I can do it most times but it is a huge pain. With your addon I was able to dock my huge tug to my space station on the first try in less than 5 minutes!! Again awesome mod and many thanks for your hard work!!!

A very easy way to dock quickly using mechJeb 2 and Docking port Alignment.

Let's say you want to dock your Lander to an Orbiter.

Make approach to be between 200 and 100m from Orbiter. Orbiter as been designed as target for the Lander

When you are less than 1000m, jump to the Orbiter and select the Lander as Target. And then use MECHJEB, Smart ASS, Target +. That way your Orbiter will always point towards your Lander.

Now jump back to Lander, once Relative velocity is<1, use ASAS target + to point your lander towards your Orbiter

When less than 200m, You click "set as target" when selecting the Orbiter docking clamp o tron. Docking port alignment window appears. Yellow and green circles should be centered

You select "control from here" from the Lander clamp o tron.

Then switch off Smart ASS and use RCS to control Your lander. Use of RCS should be minimised because this way both ships stay aligned, you just have to take care of velocity and warp to save time.

Helped a lot, I am using MechJeb to get close, but i can`t use the docking pilot, as my spacecraft docks with four clamps a time. With this tool, I am able to maneuver the craft into the exact right position to dock, and dont crash my crafts into one another.

Greetings and many thanks

Y0URD34D

NEW VERSION

Version 2.2 - Released 10/27/13

• [update] Verified compatibility with KSP v0.22
  • [changed] Roll degrees now range from 0-359.9 (was -180 to +180)
  • [fixed] Stock lateral docking ports (Inline Clampotron) now orient correctly!
  • [fixed] Settings window toggle-buttons now much more visible

Many thanks NavyFish for making a truly Must have mod.

I do have one question/request. Your mod's interface is quite simular to that of an ILS system on an airplane showing glide slope and course correction info. I've often thought of possibly using a docking port on a rover at the end of the runway to help fly my space planes in. Have you given any thought as to possibly making something similar that can be targeted from as far away as the mountain ridge?

Again, many thanks for a great mod.

Thanks for the update - and for linking my guide! I'm glad I could help people understand how powerful this little plugin can truly be. :)

I love how fast you did the approach in the video - it's so easy once you know how.

Edited by HeadHunter67

Many thanks NavyFish for making a truly Must have mod.

I do have one question/request. Your mod's interface is quite simular to that of an ILS system on an airplane showing glide slope and course correction info. I've often thought of possibly using a docking port on a rover at the end of the runway to help fly my space planes in. Have you given any thought as to possibly making something similar that can be targeted from as far away as the mountain ridge?

Again, many thanks for a great mod.

That's a nice idea. I'm currently trying to crack the code to enable targeting at distances > 200m. If/when that happens, I'll look into making an ILS plugin! Thanks :)

Even if you crack targeting, all objects further than xx km(I don't remember if it was 10 or 25) are unloaded from memory by default, right?

Laztek's plugin had an option to increase this, but it does increase memory usage, especially when you do it in a place with more than 2 craft.

Also I don't know how would you go into incorporating this option in your plugin, even if Laztek still exists and works with 0.22.

Even if you crack targeting, all objects further than xx km(I don't remember if it was 10 or 25) are unloaded from memory by default, right?

Laztek's plugin had an option to increase this, but it does increase memory usage, especially when you do it in a place with more than 2 craft.

Also I don't know how would you go into incorporating this option in your plugin, even if Laztek still exists and works with 0.22.

I'd probably take a look at this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/48720-TT-NeverUnload-Vessel-Unloading-Preventer :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.