[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

Ohhh, that's new. Good luck then!

It never hurts to have more features on a mod, even though I don't see what could you possibly use the larger distance for, aside from the example given by Malsheck.

Bit of a low-priority and selfish request, but would it be possible to add a numerical horizontal and vertical velocity indicator (VVEL, HVEL) to the instrument as well? The lines and pips are great for general alignment (and have made docking MUCH easier) but seem to lack the "resolution" if you will to allow for complete zeroing out of my translational velocity.

Well, here's an idea and I have no clue if it's even possible.... is to create a new part that the game sees as a probe but your mod sees as a docking port. So that when you target it you get the alignment bars. That would fit nicely with the robitics mods where you can fine tune the slope and course angles. The design wouldn't have to be fancy. The real ones sure as heck aren't: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/instrument-landing-system-23744865.jpg

But again, I got no clue if you can give a part the properties of both a pod and docking port.

Edit: Ok, I think I get the jist of what was being said above... where even if you are able to target an object you can't load it's properties until you get within a certain range?

Edited by Malsheck

Hey, So I am having a problem trying to get this to work. First off, I'm using KSP version 0.22. I will Select to control from my docking ships port, and Set the Target to the other port. Docking Port Alignment does not come up.

I tried the original setup to just extract straight into GameData so it looks like:

GameData

>NavyFish

>>Plugins

>>>DockingPortAlignment.DLL

>>>PluginData

----->DockingPortAlignment

And about 35 other combinations to include putting stuff in the original Squad folder with no luck. It's my understanding the with V0.22.0 I shouldn't have to do anything except drop everything into the GameData folder which is all I've ever had to do with other plugins. So, anyway. Can I please get some help to get this thing working, it looks wonderful and I'd really like to use it.

Thanks,

Edited by AngelFire

The structure you listed is absolutely correct. Are you running many other mods? I'm not aware of any incompatibilities, but I suppose that would be possible.

If you had version 1.0 installed, it used a totally different structure - I believe "DockingPortAlignment" was the top-level folder under GameData. If so, definitely remove that.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Only other Mods I am running are MechJeb. I tried installing Procedural Fairings today and I couldn't get them to work right either. The parts are all there but I can't get the blue lines to show up nor will it place the side panels around my Payload. So...

I broke down and did a complete Uninstall of everything KSP and then Reinstalled 0.22. Then installed each Mod from scratch again. I still can only get MechJeb to work properly. Nothing else. :mad::huh:

I broke down and did a complete Uninstall of everything KSP and then Reinstalled 0.22. Then installed each Mod from scratch again. I still can only get MechJeb to work properly. Nothing else.

First of all, posting in multiple places on the same issue isn't going to help - it does not improve your chances of a response - it dilutes the ability of others to collaborate on a remedy, as well as being the kind of nuisance that the powers-that-be frown upon around here.

Given that these mods are definitely compatible with one another, if installed properly they will work. If a complete uninstall and reinstall didn't work, then the only possible explanation is that you are installing mods improperly. Please elaborate, in detail, on the process by which you are installing these mods, so that we can see where it's going wrong.

:huh: That's confounding. Try reading through your ksp.log file. If you post it I'll be happy to take a look myself. It's possible something's throwing a null reference error, which tends to cause a lot of down-stream silent script failures.

First of all, posting in multiple places on the same issue isn't going to help - it does not improve your chances of a response - it dilutes the ability of others to collaborate on a remedy, as well as being the kind of nuisance that the powers-that-be frown upon around here.

I'm sorry for plugging up the system, it was not my original intention to post so many times on the same topic. I originally made a new post but then decided to post in here so that I could get support from NavyFish himself. Then after realizing it wasn't just NavyFish's plug-in and it was all of my plugins I decided to post a New post for all my mods not working. Again, Sorry.

Anyway. I have gotten my problem solved and it appears to be a windows compatibility issue. See THIS HERE to get a further explanation.

Thanks for your help guys.

Used the plugin yesterday and earlier today for my apollo style mission and space station construction, and everything seems to be working just fine like in the previous version of the game.

This is a great plugin that makes docking a piece of cake and i totally love it. Good work navyfish :)

Anyway. I have gotten my problem solved and it appears to be a windows compatibility issue.

Glad you were able to find a workaround. In fact, in your case it might even be as simple as running KSP as an administrator - I know that often resolves those kind of issues.

NavyFish can you make this mod work with the lower graphics? the display becomes all blurry when I play with the low settings :/

I'll look into it, it's probably something to do with the texture size/resolution. Are the CDI (green) lines blurry? Is text blurry?

Edited by NavyFish

Ah, great, that's what I suspected. The CDI lines and digits are dynamic graphics, while everything else are textured sprites. I'll have to see if KSP/Unity have some kind of flag indicating the game is using low-res textures. If so I could package a lower res version of my textures and switch to them when appropriate. The blurriness you're seeing is because of downsampling (and subsequent filtering).

• 3 weeks later...

It wouldn't be hard to calculate, but displaying those numbers might require a small redesign of the gauge to accommodate them.

Frankly I've been opposed to overloading the indicator with numeric displays in the past. But now that other modders have come out with on-nav-ball instrumentation, I can see this plugin filling the niche for people who want all the details and extreme precision.

This would include X and Y (planar) translation offset and relative velocity. I'll make this information toggleable. Still, I'd like to integrate it with the gauge as opposed to just throwing text on there haphazardly, so will need to make a few design choices. Feel free to post your ideas.

In all, this constitutes a good a weekend or two of effort, which unfortunately I do not have at this time due to military commitments. I might find some time during the upcoming holidays, however, so stay tuned!

Another option that some (like myself, heh) might find very handy is an option to lock in positioning relative to the target.

For example, I have a vessel on an inclined orbit around Duna, which makes it quite difficult to maintain perfect alignment on approach due to the vessel's tendency to rotate at odd angles during its orbit, and especially so when the docking ports are on the sides of the vessel instead of the ends.

What I've been hoping to find is a mod capable of maintaining the docking vessel's orientation relative to the target during approach, without resorting to trying MechJeb (which has way more functionality than I'll ever need, to say nothing of the cluttered UI and memory requirements).

All that said, I remain a massive fan of this mod. Even though it makes me incredibly OCD over docking maneuvers now, the fact that I can now dock almost perfectly every time thanks to the additional information the gauge provides is a colossal boon. I simply think it would be even more cool to have this unit capable of "latching in" to the flight systems to maintain relative orientation once it has been locked in via ASAS, freeing me up to focus on the velocities alone, rather than having to re-orient slightly again and again as the target rotates in its orbit.

Targeting is only active with the ship currently in control. Anyway, ASAS will only hold its own orientation, which is still influenced by the rotation induced by the vessel's orbit. It can't actually hold an orientation relative to another ship.

When your target vessel's orbit is oriented along the prime axes (direct north/south or east/west) it's not that hard to orient the target properly, predict movement and compensate on approach. Where it gets difficult is when the target is on an oddly-inclined orbit, which induces screwy rotations that I can't predict (yet).

EDIT:

Oh, he was talking about MJ? LOL that makes sense now. I was thinking he was under the impression ASAS could hold a relative orientation on its own as stock! >_<

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.