[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

Perhaps I don't understand what you're talking about. The gauge is always relative to your ship's up vector. This is not aligned to the camera unless you enter chase mode by hitting v, but that is a function of the game and not the mod.

That's not it either. The gauge aligns to the targeted docking port, so it doesn't matter how that port is oriented on the targeted ship. And as long as you select control from here, the gauge is perfectly aligned to your controlling ship's docking port.

I think he's confused by the fact that up on the gauge is not necessarily up on the screen, but that will be resolved if be uses chase cam.

Edited by NavyFish

That's not it either. The gauge aligns to the targeted docking port, so it doesn't matter how that port is oriented on the targeted ship. And as long as you select control from here, the gauge is perfectly aligned to your controlling ship's docking port.

Doesn't the orientation of the target port affect the roll indicator?

The symptoms sound like those of trying to dock without using "locked" mode on the camera, not really related to DPAI.

Yes, and yes.

The gauge will line things up so two ports mate face to face with each others 'up' vectors aligned - ie on a clamp o tron, the yellow handle is considered to be in the 'up' direction relative to the port's center.

Perhaps he wants it so that the ports are naturally mated at a different roll alignment, which is not an option in the mod, but the same effect can be achieved by rotating thhe target port in the editor. Still, I think that chase cam is what he's looking for.

Edited by NavyFish

Anyone know if it works in 1.05? (lol)

(In fairness, I'm not at home right now!)

dont have another ship to dock with yet.. holding off on playing till a bunch of other mods update but it is opening and nothing seems to be broken.. no exceptions or anything ill try building something on the launch pad to see if targeting and stuff works properly..

dont have another ship to dock with yet.. holding off on playing till a bunch of other mods update but it is opening and nothing seems to be broken.. no exceptions or anything ill try building something on the launch pad to see if targeting and stuff works properly..

Thanks, and no rush. I would be very surprised if it was broken with 1.05.

1.1 on the other hand...

Thanks, and no rush. I would be very surprised if it was broken with 1.05.

1.1 on the other hand...

everything seems to be working fine on 1.05 tried all features and they seem to be working dont have rpm installed so cant test that but all information seems to be correct and all settings work as intended

yea 1.1 is gonna break alot of stuff lol but maybe it will be for the better in terms of what gets fixed and new features

Edited by dewdkorn6969

Yes, and yes.

The gauge will line things up so two ports mate face to face with each others 'up' vectors aligned - ie on a clamp o tron, the yellow handle is considered to be in the 'up' direction relative to the port's center.

Perhaps he wants it so that the ports are naturally mated at a different roll alignment, which is not an option in the mod, but the same effect can be achieved by rotating thhe target port in the editor. Still, I think that chase cam is what he's looking for.

Maybe I am just doing things old school before the docking port was invented.... Lets say you have a long tube as a ship and off the side of it in dead center you have a port.

Now lets say you have two of them in space.

So when you doc the two of them up... you can technically dock them aligned so from a horizontal view they will look aligned like the letter "I" or you can dock them so they will look like an "X"

Now lets say the two piece have to be docked aligned or it wont be weighted properly in space.

The problem I always have is that when I start rotating the ships around the rcs gets all messed up. Up becomes down and down becomes up. I would like to specify my docking port (control from here) [this I can do], I would like to specify "target port" [this I can do].... but when I rotate the ship around, I would like to specify which way is "up down left right" on my rcs so I can properly align stuff in space.

Hard to explain. Probably not able to be modified by a mod but by ksp dudes.

Either "Locked" camera, or don't even worry about looking at it. Just use the DPAI and ignore what you see out the window. Trust what the instrument is telling you.

Agreed. Ignore the camera Completely. Plus, it prepares you for docking from IVA

I disagree on one point: checking out the window is good for verifying that you have the right port targeted and that you are controlling your vessel from the correct part. Otherwise, yes, trust the instruments.

If you remember to rename the docking ports, and give each one a unique name, you can identify them in IVA with the RPM targeting menu.

Yo NavyFish, could you update it in CKAN, it's still 0.25 so I can't download it there (and since I like to have everything in 1 place it would be cool :P)

I don't agree - I'm using CKAN only for my mods and this mod is the latest version - no 0.25 anywhere...

CKAN.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2015, 5:51:40, nukeboyt said:

Agreed. Ignore the camera Completely. Plus, it prepares you for docking from IVA

Docking from IVA is just great. Using RPM and this, works like a charm. Plus it's a rush to see the docking port slide into camera view. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.