Jump to content

[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)


NavyFish
 Share

Recommended Posts

@NavyFish Hey there. I tried to install this via CKAN and initially I couldn't. The key was that CKAN was checking the compatibility mod between the mod version and the game version. It seems like, as I run KSP 1.3.1, your mod was "listed" as "only" KSP1.3 compatible. I don't say this is a problem, just that some people that want to install it won't find it in the list even with a name filter or author filter. The workaround was to go to setting and set CKAN to check on more KSP version compatible mods (Settings, Compatible KSP versions), so setting it to check for 1.3 as well did the job for me. Can you modify the mod in order to be displayed on CKAN for KSP 1.3.1 too?

I'd say "nice mod, great job", but I haven't tested it myself yet, as I write this immediately after I downloaded it with CKAN, but after seeing all the positive reviews on yt and here in the comment, all I can say is: "Nice mod, great job" :) Keep it up.

 

Edit: Weird. After I posted this I thought I might get few screenshots, maybe that will help you figure out what I was talking about. Seems like I can't do it, since now, even if I set CKAN to display only KSP1.3.1 compatible mods, your mod still shows in the result feed. Restarting didn't help either. Sorry for not being able to provide images regarding this issue before fixing it :(

Edited by ygr3ku
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ygr3ku said:

@NavyFish Hey there. I tried to install this via CKAN and initially I couldn't. The key was that CKAN was checking the compatibility mod between the mod version and the game version. It seems like, as I run KSP 1.3.1, your mod was "listed" as "only" KSP1.3 compatible. I don't say this is a problem, just that some people that want to install it won't find it in the list even with a name filter or author filter. The workaround was to go to setting and set CKAN to check on more KSP version compatible mods, so setting it on 1.3 as well did the job for me. Can you modify the mod in order to be displayed on CKAN for KSP 1.3.1 too?

I'd say "nice mod, great job", but I haven't tested it myself yet, as I write this immediately after I downloaded it with CKAN, but after seeing all the positive reviews on yt and here in the comment, all I can say is: "Nice mod, great job" :) Keep it up

Odd, it should have updated CKAN via Spacedock.  Thanks for the report.

@Olympic1  mind helping out with this?  I am traveling and don't want to do any pull requests from my phone..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can confirm the compatibility warning. I installed manually along with the AVC version checker - I don't use CKAN.  Every time I run KSP, I get the warning about compatibility with 1.3. I just click through. I've done several basic docks and DPAI works fine in 1.3.1 despite the version check warning. *shrug*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's because the DockingPortAlignmentIndicator.version

{"NAME":"Docking Port Alignment Indicator","URL":"http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=361","DOWNLOAD":"http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/40423-11-docking-port-alignment-indicator-version-621-beta-updated-04122016/","CHANGE_LOG_URL":"http://sourcedreams.com/DPAI_CHANGELOG.txt","VERSION":{"MAJOR":6,"MINOR":7,"PATCH":0,"BUILD":0},"KSP_VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":3,"PATCH":0},"KSP_VERSION_MIN":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":3,"PATCH":0},"KSP_VERSION_MAX":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":3,"PATCH":0}}

It has KSP 1.3.0 if you would change it to 1.3.1 you wouldn't get the warning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Derp,  I must have forgotten to include the updated version file in the latest release despite creating it on avc.

Well, you guys will have to deal with it for a little bit, I'm not in a position to re-upload anything. Sorry!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Mecripp@NavyFish I just tested it and I don't seem to have any issues ingame. The only one that I had was while looking for DPAI on CKAN and couldn't find it. Now it's all good. Navyfish, I tried to uninstall the mod and then check if I can get some screenshots, but no success so far. Maybe if I reinstall CKAN, that will do, but since we figured out the problem, I don't think that's necessary. If you still need evidence, I might do it.

Cya all around and as Scott Manley says: "Fly safe" xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

It's because the DockingPortAlignmentIndicator.version

{"NAME":"Docking Port Alignment Indicator","URL":"http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=361","DOWNLOAD":"http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/40423-11-docking-port-alignment-indicator-version-621-beta-updated-04122016/","CHANGE_LOG_URL":"http://sourcedreams.com/DPAI_CHANGELOG.txt","VERSION":{"MAJOR":6,"MINOR":7,"PATCH":0,"BUILD":0},"KSP_VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":3,"PATCH":0},"KSP_VERSION_MIN":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":3,"PATCH":0},"KSP_VERSION_MAX":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":3,"PATCH":0}}

It has KSP 1.3.0 if you would change it to 1.3.1 you wouldn't get the warning

Thanks for that. I just edited the .version file for my personal game and stopped the warning.

Anyway, thank as always to Navyfish for making the one indispensable mod for me. I can fly launches manually, I can work around limits in the stock parts and tech tree, I can even eyeball interplanetary transfers and suicide burn landings. But docking without this mod, once you've gotten used to it, is like flying blind. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I read back but didn't see anyone mention this - any idea why I'm getting "DialogPlain.fnt' appearing as a white status message at the bottom of the screen before the game actually begins to load? I tested it with just the Squad folder in a KSP v1.3.1 install. Seems harmless but who am I to say...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I read back but didn't see anyone mention this - any idea why I'm getting "DialogPlain.fnt' appearing as a white status message at the bottom of the screen before the game actually begins to load? I tested it with just the Squad folder in a KSP v1.3.1 install. Seems harmless but who am I to say...

I've been seeing that at launch as well.  I assumed it was Squad / KSP doing it, but there's an error in the log ("FontLoader:Bundle is null") that isn't popping up in the installation I have that doesn't have DPAI.

... Oh, I see: GameData\NavyFish\Plugins\Docking Port Alignment Indicator\PluginData\DockingPortAlignmentIndicator contains DialongPlain.fnt along with a png with the same name.  I wonder if there's something in the asset bundle loader that assumes a ".fnt" extension marks it as an asset bundle?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

hello

I use this mod since it has been launched and for the first time I am unable to dock whatever vessel I build, big one, small one...I do not understand what is happening with 1.3.1

I tried all vessels with auto strut disabled, but as soon as the ports are under 3 m it begins jerking...

I used smart ASS TGT+ and RCS to do docking maneuvers and it was perfect, it is no more working. I don't know if there a special setting to set to docking port, if I must disable the torque on reaction wheels, but the fact is whatever I am doing and whatever is my final speed the nearer are the docking port, the more they jerk!!! they seems to repulse instead of attrack.....

I forgot to tell tam using this with SSRSS, the solar system, maybe there something to do with it...;

Edited by gilflo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gilflo said:

hello

I use this mod since it has been launched and for the first time I am unable to dock whatever vessel I build, big one, small one...I do not understand what is happening with 1.3.1

I tried all vessels with auto strut disabled, but as soon as the ports are under 3 m it begins jerking...

I used smart ASS TGT+ and RCS to do docking maneuvers and it was perfect, it is no more working. I don't know if there a special setting to set to docking port, if I must disable the torque on reaction wheels, but the fact is whatever I am doing and whatever is my final speed the nearer are the docking port, the more they jerk!!! they seems to repulse instead of attrack.....

I forgot to tell tam using this with SSRSS, the solar system, maybe there something to do with it...;

I have no idea what you mean, but first, would be nice to see a video, and second, a log file is needed.

What is SSRSS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SSRSS is the Real solar System with Copernicus mod, Sigma...etc...

I tried again on Kerbal system and here is a small vid showing what happens. Even perfectly aligned, it looks like there's repulsion

Both ships have been built docked with senior docking ports in the VAB (not 3.75m docking port as written in the vid). Then they have been sent to orbit and node has been decoupled.

I tried 4 docking at different speed, perfectly aligned, right ship on RCS and ASS on TARGET+, and left ship on SAS only, maintenant its stability. both ship have a remote control with reaction wheel included.

4 contacts and 4 repulsions, I do no know why

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something I notice is that you don't roll to align the docking ports around the roll axis. Is it possible there is a mod trying to enforce roll-alignment?

Also, IIRC, at one point docking ports sometimes misbehaved if they had been used as decouplers, and also if they had been previously docked. It required a savefile edit to fix this misbehaviour! I don't know if this bug has been fixed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Do I need a crossfed enabled from controll module to docking port to use this mod? I have station module lifter rocket and I have heatshield between controll probe core and docking port of a station module. When I set station port as target and clock Control from here on station module port - your docking indicator dont shows up.(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08.02.2018 at 12:59 AM, Battou said:

Do I need a crossfed enabled from controll module to docking port to use this mod? I have station module lifter rocket and I have heatshield between controll probe core and docking port of a station module. When I set station port as target and clock Control from here on station module port - your docking indicator dont shows up.(

Any help? tryed with docing port directly on command pod, window still do not appear.(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to create a rather large, modular space station.  After getting just a few modules into position, I realized that of the 40 or so parts, close to 30 of them are just docking ports.  So I went back to the drawing board and rebuilt the cfg files for my station parts to include all the docking ports.  Visually the all look correct and from the VAB I have no problems connecting multiple station parts to their corresponding ports.  But once I put the station parts into orbit, I run into issues.  DPAI will see multiple ports but they all have the same name and same orientation.  So I can dock to the first actual docking MODULE, but none of the rest work.  For each docking port on the PART I have a separate node_attach_xxx, ModuleDockingNode, ModuleDockingHatch, and ModuleDockingNodeNamed.  And I'm pretty sure I have them all labeled correctly.  Is what I'm trying to do simply not possible or is there something I'm missing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chrisl said:

I'm trying to create a rather large, modular space station.  After getting just a few modules into position, I realized that of the 40 or so parts, close to 30 of them are just docking ports.  So I went back to the drawing board and rebuilt the cfg files for my station parts to include all the docking ports.  Visually the all look correct and from the VAB I have no problems connecting multiple station parts to their corresponding ports.  But once I put the station parts into orbit, I run into issues.  DPAI will see multiple ports but they all have the same name and same orientation.  So I can dock to the first actual docking MODULE, but none of the rest work.  For each docking port on the PART I have a separate node_attach_xxx, ModuleDockingNode, ModuleDockingHatch, and ModuleDockingNodeNamed.  And I'm pretty sure I have them all labeled correctly.  Is what I'm trying to do simply not possible or is there something I'm missing?

Docking ports can be renamed in the VAB/SPH. When I'm building station, I build it in VAB or SPH, split into parts and put pairs of docking ports with the same names between them, so I know to which port I need to dock afterwards.

If you use construction ports form USI, then you can colapse them after docking. They are removed, less parts afterwards, and docked parts are connected directly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maja said:

Docking ports can be renamed in the VAB/SPH. When I'm building station, I build it in VAB or SPH, split into parts and put pairs of docking ports with the same names between them, so I know to which port I need to dock afterwards.

If you use construction ports form USI, then you can colapse them after docking. They are removed, less parts afterwards, and docked parts are connected directly.

Thank you Maja.  I'll give the USI ports a try.

 

EDIT: It looks like the USI ports will let me ultimately clear some of the docking ports from my station.  But I'm still going to end up with something like 45 ports on my finished station.  I can't replace all of the ports with USI construction ports because you're supposed to be able to reconfigure the layout of the station as needed.  So I'm still looking at a station that'll have close to 50% of it's part count being from docking ports.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there's a way to have multiple functioning docking ports on a single part.

Edited by chrisl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DPAI supports multiple ports per part, or at least it used to, but for the life of me I can't remember or find the name of the parts I used for testing. It was a habitat from some colony pack. I believe they had multiple DockingPortNode modules on the same part, each with independent transforms or something to that effect.  If you can find a part out there with multiple ports on it, test it, and if it works just copy the layout for their cfg file. I haven't touched KSP or DPAI for quite some time now... /necro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still green KSP noob here ...

I had KSP auto updates enabled in Steam, so I'm now on 1.4. I had previously installed Kerbal Engineer, and now that complains about the version at startup, but still works once in the game.

I installed DPAI after the 1.4 upgrade, and it too complains at startup, but ... doesn't show up anywhere once in the game. Do I need another mod to get a button on screen? I only have KER and DPAI at the moment. Will I have to revert to 1.3.1? (not that I would know how to do that ...)

I did look for Izzy's or Lizzy's or whatever the toolbar mod is called, and despite the first message in that thread saying "my link's not broken, it really does work" ... the link IS broken, and really doesn't work. So do I need something else?

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, CakeOrDeath said:

Still green KSP noob here ...

I had KSP auto updates enabled in Steam, so I'm now on 1.4. I had previously installed Kerbal Engineer, and now that complains about the version at startup, but still works once in the game.

I installed DPAI after the 1.4 upgrade, and it too complains at startup, but ... doesn't show up anywhere once in the game. Do I need another mod to get a button on screen? I only have KER and DPAI at the moment. Will I have to revert to 1.3.1? (not that I would know how to do that ...)

I did look for Izzy's or Lizzy's or whatever the toolbar mod is called, and despite the first message in that thread saying "my link's not broken, it really does work" ... the link IS broken, and really doesn't work. So do I need something else?

Thanks!

Same problem for me so I have recompiled myself from source code with KSP 1.4, all seems ok, I will continue testing...

Edit : Tests are OK with KSP 1.4 :D 

Edited by Fweds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...