Dynamic Soundtrack

I love the addition of music in KSP, however, I feel that the whole thing needs a bit of polish.

My Suggestions:

* Each planet has its own musical score - We already have music for the VAB/SPH and outer space, so why not have a song for each celestial body? It needn't be out-of-this-world and prominent, just a subtle ambient tune would be lovely...

*Transitions - Its extremely irritating when upon entering the atmosphere of Kerbin, the calming music just cuts-out and stops. A simple fade in/fade out is what I ask

*Music changes as things happen - Yes, I know that most of the music used in KSP is stock, but Squad has already shown that they can compose music (IE - Main theme), thus, I think it'd be cool to have extra layers added to a track when certain things happen, for example, a drum-loop for when engines are firing (the throttle alters the volume of this, perhaps?) and a suspenseful chime when a part of a rocket explodes (& a small gameover sample for when your capsule is destroyed[?]).

Anyway, I hope these suggestions are taken into account, and I also hope a strong future for this great game! :)

I would be completely okay with this....but I don't know who does KSP's music. Might wind up being expensive for them to have that many custom tracks just for KSP. Might even be difficult to come up with all those different tunes.

But I'd definitely find it enjoyable to like...enter munar orbit and suddenly the music is a little different. Then get close to the surface and the music is different again. Maybe the tempo increases between certain altitude levels as you're landing but once you've touched down and settled, it's calm and mellow again.

I wonder if it would be better to have music for each stage for each planet/moon(with one for asteroids in general) or just to have one for ascent, descent, landed, orbiting, deep space, whatever else. Hmmm~

Ideally, there would be a text file specifying each possible situation (e.g. landing, landing on duna, firing engines, orbit, orbit around kerbin), which allows user to enter arbitrary file names under the appropriate heading and give them a relative weight, which affects how likely they are to be played in those circumstances. Something vaguely like this:

music = {
orbiting = {
track = {
name = 2001.mp3
weight = 10
}
track = {
name = duel.mp3
weight = 3
}

kerbin = {
track = {
name = earth.ogg
weight = 10
}
}

}

landing = {
kerbin = {
track = {
name = earth.ogg
weight = 1
}
}
}
}

You know what would be even better than specific tracks? Folders! I just now thought of this when I saw the thread title again XD

Like an Elder Scrolls game(not sure if they did this in Skyrim, but definitely in Oblivion and I think Morrowind). There's a combat folder with a few tracks for when you enter combat and a regular folder for when you're just wandering around. I think there were a couple other folders for different situations, but I can't remember what they were.

That would be amazing 'cause then you could easily dump whatever music YOU wanted to hear into the game for those situations...and being as multiple tracks could be loaded into each folder and probably selected randomly, you'd still have a dynamic feel without that feeling of "ugh, the jool theme" or whatever...and to change the music, you wouldn't really have to edit any code at all, just dump some MP3s into the corresponding folder. Listen to heavy metal when you're landing and orchestra when you're in deep space. Damn, that would be awesome :o

You know what would be even better than specific tracks? Folders! I just now thought of this when I saw the thread title again XD

Like an Elder Scrolls game(not sure if they did this in Skyrim, but definitely in Oblivion and I think Morrowind). There's a combat folder with a few tracks for when you enter combat and a regular folder for when you're just wandering around. I think there were a couple other folders for different situations, but I can't remember what they were.

That would be amazing 'cause then you could easily dump whatever music YOU wanted to hear into the game for those situations...and being as multiple tracks could be loaded into each folder and probably selected randomly, you'd still have a dynamic feel without that feeling of "ugh, the jool theme" or whatever...and to change the music, you wouldn't really have to edit any code at all, just dump some MP3s into the corresponding folder. Listen to heavy metal when you're landing and orchestra when you're in deep space. Damn, that would be awesome :o

Although that is definitely the simplest and user-friendliest approach, that doesn't allow you to specify weight, or any other parameters you could do with code.

Couldn't you potentially setup folders to run as individual playlists, giving them parameters via code for specific events? Like, when you're running low on fuel but descending on a planet, the game chooses a random track from the peril folder and if you successfully land, it'll load a random track from the success folder and so on.

This is a fantastic idea. Almost completely removes the problem of repetitive music. +1 supporter

That's still not as customizable as doing it manually (part of why I love the system in Crusader Kings II), but that would definitely be a satisfactory system, if you ask me. And most people would find it quite usable.

Harvester did the main theme (or at least I think he did -
this is his channel), and one of the space themes is a remix of the main themes, however I heard one of the other ones in a youtube video somewhere, so it can't be exclusively owned by squad.

Some of the music is royalty free, made by http://incompetech.com/

Here's one of the tunes:

• 3 weeks later...

I seriously think that this is utter genius. I would have it where, if you are at low altitude with your orbit on a collision course with the planet, the music becomes very tense and fast paced, where as landed and orbit are more, "okay, I'm here now, what next"? type tracks.

Indeed, they could add all kinds of events and maybe have one or two tracks per folder(if they did the folder thing). Then you could really customize your game experience if you wanted to by adding or completely changing the tunes in certain folders...or every folder! Would really be good for some people, though I tend to not mind the stock music.

But adding any little(or big) way to customize the game experience...changing around music, color schemes, flags, decals and so on...I'm always in favor of those types of features.

One thing I was thinking of was having the environment your in and what your flying dictate what the track is. For instance, if you are reentering a capsule, it should play some kind of solemn theme telling you that you had better have gotten this right. Where as landing a lander on the Mün should have a theme that is fast paced, but something that instead says, have your hand on the abort button.

IMHO, This is what I would like to hear implemented (something like Portal 2):

When orbiting Kerbol, there is a simple beat. When in a SOI of a planet a simple melody is added, and a moon would modify the parent planet's melody. In interstellar space (if implemented) the music would be a quiet tempo.

The tempo of the music can be modified by altitude and orbital velocity. Lower altitude and higher velocity equals faster tempo. Maybe even add a more intense tone to the music.

when in proximity to a significant object (artefacts, KSP, etc) a different tone overlays the melody. Like change the melody to a minor key for the munoliths.

certain actions add a little percussive to the music (like in the game Perspective). Actions like RCS burning, Aerobraking, Engine burning, etc.

I love the addition of music in KSP, however, I feel that the whole thing needs a bit of polish.

My Suggestions:

* Each planet has its own musical score - We already have music for the VAB/SPH and outer space, so why not have a song for each celestial body? It needn't be out-of-this-world and prominent, just a subtle ambient tune would be lovely...

*Transitions - Its extremely irritating when upon entering the atmosphere of Kerbin, the calming music just cuts-out and stops. A simple fade in/fade out is what I ask

*Music changes as things happen - Yes, I know that most of the music used in KSP is stock, but Squad has already shown that they can compose music (IE - Main theme), thus, I think it'd be cool to have extra layers added to a track when certain things happen, for example, a drum-loop for when engines are firing (the throttle alters the volume of this, perhaps?) and a suspenseful chime when a part of a rocket explodes (& a small gameover sample for when your capsule is destroyed[?]).

Anyway, I hope these suggestions are taken into account, and I also hope a strong future for this great game! :)

Hi, just let you know that i saw this post after i did what I show in this video!, i hope that you like it :)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Some of the music is royalty free, made by http://incompetech.com/

Here's one of the tunes:

Ughhhh, if I hear "Frost Waltz" one more time, I'm going to lose my mind!

The same music is used for the "Soundsense" mod to Dwarf Fortress- which adds sound to that game (most players won't play without it)

I was sick of Frost waltz long before I ever picked up KSP for the first time...

Regards,

Northstar

• 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.