System failures

I just (re)saw the Apollo 13 movie, and I wondered…

What do you think about random (but fixable) system failures?

Parts of the vessel could just fail (with a chosen frequency -> from “none†to “who the **** hired those mecanics ?â€Â) and have to be fixed manually, a bit like the actual wheels repairing system. Parts of the vessel could be associated with a system panel, with green/red lights, or directly on the stage informations on the left. Failures could be shown on it, needing an intervention. Some parts could be more fragile, or robust (understand : the probability of failure could be more or less important).

Do you remember the ammonia leak that occurred during Chris Hadfield’s mission on ISS, that’s what I’m talking about. Engines, RCS, reaction wheels, or solar panel failures, leaks, that kind of stuff.

This could force us to maintain our space stations, for exemple, or add a difficulty level to the game.

During the lift-off, a critical failure could just abord the mission (and justify the use of, for exemple, escape systems. This way, a escape rocket (like the ones which were in use on Apollo missions) could be a part idea.

Random failures have been suggested before. I'm pretty sure the devs haven't the slightest interest in implementing such a thing. They want any failures to be entirely caused by user error...and to be honest, I fully agree with that.

Might be good as a mod, though. Like an increased difficulty mod for career mode.

This has been suggested so many times that I can't understand how nobody made an addon for this, there seems to be a lot of interest.

But no, this suggestion is on the "do not suggest list", and certainly shouldn't be part of the game.

There already are system failures, like when your rocket mysteriously breaks in half, or suddenly you lose pitch and yaw control, and your rocket wobbles all over the place. Sometimes mounts and decouplers have random structural failure and one or more first/second stage tanks/boosters/engines fall off. Dont forget the physics events, like when space time tears and rips your rocket apart.