How do I set planet as target when I already have "space-clutter" there?

I am trying to do my first interplanetary mission since 0.21 update, which involves several manned crafts and several orbital fueling stations on their way to Laythe. :cool:

I want to adjust the orbit to match Jool's inclination mid-flight, however I am unable to set Jool as a target (so I know how many degrees I need to change my inclination) :(. I can only select one of the previous probes I sent to Laythe long ago, which gives me no information on inclination. I have done several missions to Jool, and I do not remember this being a problem before. How do I actually select JOOL as my target without terminating my current missions around Jool and its moons?? *

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm banging my head against the desk trying to figure it out. As for mods, I only have the most up to date Protractor installed. Any help will be appreciated! :wink:

*Edit: Removed sentence about other planet's space-clutter. I can set other planets with space-clutter (Kerbal, Eve, Duna) as target. This seems to be a specific problem with Jool.

And by clutter, I could mean a total of two probes (like on Eve), or dozens of satelites/stations (around Kerbal).

Edited by pseudochicken

You must have a lot of missions there. I am in awe. (I've only one fly-by en route to Jool, which won't arrive for another year in-game. That'll change soon.)

Sometimes I've been able to (inadvertantly) pick targets by clicking on their orbits; try single-clicking on Jool's orbit in the map mode to see if it brings up the "set as target" pop-up box.

-- Steve

OK, a little clarification:

This is in Map Mode of ship that is in mid-flight. I am unaware of any way to "remove" or "hide" other vessel icons while in the mode. I am able to select other planets that have space clutter, including Kerbal itself. Correction to earlier assumption that I would not be able to select any planet with clutter. This seems specific to Jool.

Let me be clear, I do not have a lot of stuff around Jool. If I zoom in close enough to Jool (where I can see its moon's orbits and the like), I can Focus on Jool, but not select it as a Target. If zoomed out, I can only select one of my probes/satelites (and occasionally the choice to select one of the moons pops up). Does this make sense? Perhaps screen shots would help...

This is in Map Mode of ship that is in mid-flight. I am unaware of any way to "remove" or "hide" other vessel icons while in the mode. I am able to select other planets that have space clutter, including Kerbal itself. Correction to earlier assumption that I would not be able to select any planet with clutter. This seems specific to Jool.

Let me be clear, I do not have a lot of stuff around Jool. If I zoom in close enough to Jool (where I can see its moon's orbits and the like), I can Focus on Jool, but not select it as a Target. If zoomed out, I can only select one of my probes/satelites (and occasionally the choice to select one of the moons pops up). Does this make sense? Perhaps screen shots would help...

Hover your mouse at the top of the screen and you should see this:

KsnqRmf.png

Click on one of them and then right click it again. All vessel icons should disappear.

NQag9UD.png

Also, I am having difficulties "selecting" anything by clicking the orbit. Nothing pops up when I click Jool's orbit.

Exit map view and go back in and see if it works.

Either:

- Change the camera angle from your current focus so that you can see Jool and set it as a the target; i.e. zoom out and rotate until you find it

- Disable all markers and re-enable them once you have the target (as in post above)

- In map view, press TAB to cycle between planets until you get to Jool and then set it as a target.

I second Rhomphaia and rryy's suggestions:

Try clicking Jools orbit rather than the planet itself

In other words, click the gray line showing Jool's orbit. You do not have to be anywhere near the planet itself, just along its orbital line. Also works for selecting ships, etc.

This is also very helpful:

Hover your mouse at the top of the screen and you should see this:

KsnqRmf.png

Click on one of them and then right click it again. All vessel icons should disappear.

NQag9UD.png

Exit map view and go back in and see if it works.

Update:

OK. I am dumb, I suppose, and I should have been patient. Turns out the issue was not that I could not select Jool. Hiding the other craft, or tabbing through the planets, allowed me to highlight Jool but not actually set it as my target. I checked other craft that were not on a trajectory to intercept Jool, and they COULD set Jool as a target. So that got me thinking that it had something to do with my crafts' predicted encounter with Jool. I just so happened to still be in Kerbin's SoI, and thought that might have something to do with it. Basically, that meant I had the orange predicted path for once I was in orbit around Kerbol, and the purple predicted path for my encounter with Jool.

Once I left Kerbin's SoI and enter Kerbol's SoI, I was then able to set Jool as my target. And now everything is fine. Argh, it is a weird quirk but not too much of a problem. Thank you everyone for your patience and advice! :D

How do I set this thread as [Answered]?

• 7 years later...
24 minutes ago, Claas2008 said:

but it doent work for me. if i right click the name becomes a bit darker and if i left click nothing happens, even if i dubble click or click on the orbit line. i tried everything you guys al sayd but it still didnt work

Hi, chances are we can help you but you may be better off starting a new thread here, and try to explain what’s wrong in a little more detail.

This thread is pretty old, the game has changed a lot in 7 years! And it sounds like you might have a slightly different problem than what was originally asked.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 5:33 PM, lemon cup said:

Hi, chances are we can help you but you may be better off starting a new thread here, and try to explain what’s wrong in a little more detail.

This thread is pretty old, the game has changed a lot in 7 years! And it sounds like you might have a slightly different problem than what was originally asked.

it works in sandbox but not in career, if i rc the name becomes dark if i lc it does nothing

As has been mentioned... this thread is ancient.  KSP today is a radically different game than it was in 2013, and many behaviors may have changed-- so discussing the problem here is likely to just confuse the issue, especially as other people coming to the thread now might be looking back at previous posts in the thread and not notice that they're many years old.

Accordingly, locking the thread to prevent further confusion.

If anyone has a current problem with the game, please feel free to open a new thread here in Gameplay Questions, where you can give details about your specific issue and hopefully get more relevant answers to your problem.  ;)