Kerbal Space Defense Force

The Kerbal Scientists have observed an anomaly inbound for Kerbal system in about 500 days. After much analysis it appears that the observations revealed an inbound spaceship of some sort. To avoid a fatal end to the Kerbals, the government decided to provide funds to raise a space defense force for preventive measures.

For that purpose you have been nominated to design and launch a Defense Space Program that will go as follow:

-You need to build a space carrier capable of storing 4 SSTO’s. The SSTO’s must not be visible from the external viewpoint (except for one side (to be considered as the doors, you can use solar panels for that).

-You need the following resources to be available in your space carrier:

* Liquid Fuel:7000

*Oxidizer: 7000

*Monopropellant: 2000

*Electric Charge: 5000

*Jet Fuel (Liquid Fuel): 2000

*Crew Capacity: 10 or more

*Spacecraft: 2 SSTOs

*Docking Ports: 5 (includes those for the SSTOs)

*Shuttle: 1 (for crew transport)

*Escape Pods: 3 (1 or more crew each)

*Weapons: 10 Missiles (Of your own creation: Has to be able to destroy 1 orange tank)

-Other requirements:

* Less than 25 launch

*No Mods/ Stock Only (Only Mechjeb is allowed)

*Orbit circular at 100Km/ Inclination: 45 degrees

*Launch and Dock all SSTOs as SSTOs

*Entire mission must be completed before 500 days from the first launch (easy right?)

*The entire space carrier must be able to leave LKO and orbit at any other planetary body( so plan for more fuel for that purpose, don't use the above!)

-Rating

You get 100 points for all the basic requirements;

+10 for every 50% increase in the above requirements

+1 for every 3 screenshot per launch: At the launch pad, above 70 Km, docked or within 100 m of the target. +2 for videos.

-10 For every missed requirement

Let’s Protect our beloved Kerbals!

Current Top 10:

Tobmaster: 199 points

Edited by Devinci
more realistic requirements

These are pretty specific and restrictive requirements...

Also, I predict a high part count, so that knocks out most challengers who do not have a gaming rig.

Might I recommend just requiring a crew capacity, missiles(or other weapons), obvious mod restriction, and timeframe. Optional would be the others that you have listed.

My thought is that holding 4 ssto's may be a little much in part count wise. My go to SSTO is a tad under 100 parts so that would put this thing over 400 parts just with the planes (my SSTO may be bigger than it needs to be but still). Then your LFO requirements are about 4 orange tanks - plus hiding the carrier bay with panels... etc The part count will be massive. I've built 1000+ things before but it can get excruciating.

My suggestion: Require a 2 bay carrier capable of orbital maneuvers to most planetary systems with half the other requirements and then give bonus points "if" someone can build a structure as massive as you were thinking of. Other than running onto a part count issue, it sound like fun

Edited by Tobmaster

Here is my first attempt. I know it's ugly but if you want to use less parts it's probably not gonna look as cool as you'd want.

Now the main problems is how to get this thing into orbit and re-attach it?

Note: Part Counts = 414 without the SSTO, I think with a little more redesign it should be around 500 with the two SSTOs

a2hv.jpg

Edited by Devinci
added part count number

Alright, now that we got the challenge a bit more manageable... Here is as close as I could get:

1064 Parts with SSTO's

Can Hold (some are in the SSTO's)

21120 Liquid Fuel

25080 Oxidizer

20720 Electric

4700 Mono-propellant

14 Kerbals are on board, including the SSTO Pilots. The nose section of the carrier craft is two detachable multipurpose orbital crafts which could be used as an orbital transport (6 passengers), escape pod, station tug, etc. No missiles are on board since I can't handle the lag of a 1000+ ship right now, but there are docking ports on the side meant to house them (or I could have modified the front spikes into missiles) - or if we could build 2000+ part ships, two carriers could dock side by side... anyways, it was definitely a challenge to get it all set up and it won't win any beauty pageants..

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Tobmaster

Alright, now that we got the challenge a bit more manageable... Here is as close as I could get:

1064 Parts with SSTO's

Can Hold (some are in the SSTO's)

21120 Liquid Fuel

25080 Oxidizer

20720 Electric

4700 Mono-propellant

14 Kerbals are on board, including the SSTO Pilots. The nose section of the carrier craft is two detachable multipurpose orbital crafts which could be used as an orbital transport (6 passengers), escape pod, station tug, etc. No missiles are on board since I can't handle the lag of a 1000+ ship right now, but there are docking ports on the side meant to house them (or I could have modified the front spikes into missiles) - or if we could build 2000+ part ships, two carriers could dock side by side... anyways, it was definitely a challenge to get it all set up and it won't win any beauty pageants..

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Okay I calculated this for you:

100 basic

20 Liq Fuel + Jet fuel

30 Ox

40 Elec

10 Mono

9 screenshots

Total: 209

Missing Missiles -10

Total: 199 points

What is your inclination? (Needs to be 45 degrees)

i love the ssto design its very menacing.

Thanks, unfortunately It didn't make it into space. I needed about 900 m/s more delta v. And the missiles are cool when fired and you look from the virtual cockpit but I doubt they can do much damage.

Back with a more interesting design and my most "Kerbalistic" rocket design ever!

Can hold 2 sstos or 8 small fighters. This design also has 4000 xenon gas as a bonus. 15+ crew capacity..

For some reason (design failure from me) The ship cannot hold its attitude when using nuclear engines only. That explain my very eccentric orbit. Orbital parameters should be easy to fix. The hard part is to get this into orbit. I also plan on adding torpedoes, escape pods, etc. Part counts is 221 I believe.

o16i.jpg

2mfb.jpg

3it8.png

46eh.png

y6x6.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.