I made an Engine :D

My first engine model from scratch (borrowed texture components thanks original artists :D )

It is inspired by the SpaceX Merlin 1C-D. I dub it, The Kerlin 1

I feel that i captured the main attributes of the Merlin. The turbopump. the supports, the regen cooling system, the regen return lines, The exposed reaction Chamber. etc etc :)

any feed back would be cool.

Kerlin1Engine.png

made the adapter for the 9 engine block. looks similar but not exact which is what i wanted. Now to make the tank then texture.

as for launching it is pretty stable. I had to make a non thrust vectoring variant of it. if they where all vectoring it broke lol. so now just the center wobbles. I suppose in heavy loads you can change this :) It really moves with nothing atop it haha. I plan on making a 4 meter fairing to cap off whatever is ontop of it.

falcon9Adapter.png

the real rocket is 3.66 meter so. yeah. plus I sort of like the massiveness of it. It will have a 4 meter fairing atop and will be used to launch heavy stuff to orbit like planetary landers. much like the real Falcon rockets it will be made merely to haul heavy stuff to orbit. it seems OP at first but when firing it it actually burns out before it can get you into orbit so the second stage will be needed. Thus I dub it not OP. lol.

hey how would I make it like the solid rocket boosters and how they slowly heat up the whole way but never actually blow up form heat and run out of fuel just before?

srry but it will be a bit before I release anything. semester is not done yet and I have 3, 10 page papers to write @__@ I really should get to work but.. falcon 9 obsession is in full flare.

Oh look also made the merlin 1V :D

MerlinSPC.png

reference

falcon1V.jpg

That is looking nice!

There are basically three things that regulate heat in the config:

Heat generated per second

Maximum heat before explosion

How fast heat dissipates into surrounding parts (tanks or other engines, or anything else nearby)

So if you had zero dissipation, so that all heat is retained (and are receiving none from other nearby engines) Then you\'d set it up so that your maximum heat is (amount of heat per second) multiplied by (how many seconds your engines burns on its fuel tank)

Obviously, that isn\'t a realistic situation, so you would have to account for heat distribution - a tank can soak up a lot of heat - but if you have a big cluster of engines like the Merlins they\'ll be sharing each others heat. So if one engine has 3 next to it, and it dissapates 100 heat per second, it would be split between them. Likewise, if 3 engines around it are generating heat, it has to deal with incoming heat from each of those (say 33 heat per second each) plus whatever it doesn\'t dissipate.

So if it generates 400/s and dissipates 200/s, and then has 100/s incoming, then you actually \'gain\' 300 heat per second, and would need a heat tolerance of 18,000 to last a minute without exploding.

Of course, the numbers are for full throttle, and it scales down with the throttle in the same way thrust and fuel use do (dissipation doesn\'t, so throttling down lets it bleed off heat)

Since your merlin cluster is just a model, and is a single part rather than a 9-way coupler, its a little simpler, and you just simulate the amount of heat such a thing would generate.

hmm the regular ones I am not worried about I just don\'t want people using the space one to get to space lol. currently it is balanced close enough i think. if you try to take off full throttle with it it burns up semi quick. in space not so much.

but my those RCS tanks are huge lol. but I need to make the draco thrusters for it. although it flys pretty nicely with just thrust vectoring.

So I made the fairings.

My look at all that space.

KSP%202011-11-24%2003-58-27-65.png

Then i tried to launch it with 100 extra mass in the fairing area. if it does get to the 2nd stage it fails to get it into orbit (which is good the Falcon heavy is for that) and just as i had hopped. sometimes, in true kerbal fashion, it can fail amazingly

KSP%202011-11-24%2003-47-19-33.png

KSP%202011-11-24%2003-47-46-95.png

KSP%202011-11-24%2003-49-47-87.png

it can successfully haul 50 extra mass into space but the second stage becomes a case of the little engine that could. at first it says you have failed but after a good 4 - 6 minute burn and with momentum left over from the first stage you can get to orbit and have 1/4 tank of fuel left. Though i decided to up the second stage thrust a bit since the Merlin 1C-V is being replaced with a 1D space variant and will be a bit better in space. makes me wonder if spaceX rocket does the same in space lol.

now to make the RCS thing.

I would like to thank SpaceX for having a nice 1 axis Diagram of their fairing :D

Also, not quite sure how i should texture it. I mean the SpaceX Falcon 9 is made with friction Stir welding so it would not really have any seams, rivets or any other details on its parts tank wize. and they look like nice perfectly clean enamel on the out side. what should I use for a white base texture?

Also, not quite sure how i should texture it. I mean the SpaceX Falcon 9 is made with friction Stir welding so it would not really have any seams, rivets or any other details on its parts tank wize. and they look like nice perfectly clean enamel on the out side. what should I use for a white base texture?

Nothing much wrong with a good white paint job, with highlights and such between tank joints and at rib details.

I think there is a config setting for specularity which determines how shiny or matte your parts look - I sort of skim over that part usually, but it might be worth looking into on the Wiki.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.