[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

The sky is positively crowded with stars. The lights from most human settlements make the majority of stars completely invisible, but from space the sky should look crowded.

I know (althought it's not only the lights), however still remember we can't see it like most space photos simply because the cameras take long exposure shots which reveal a lot more stars invisible to the naked eye, and this still applies while you're in the space.

The sky is positively crowded with stars. The lights from most human settlements make the majority of stars completely invisible, but from space the sky should look crowded.

Chris Hadfield once mentioned that space, when looking away from the earth into 'space' - is extremely illuminating and full of stars.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now, but you guys are in for a treat tomorrow. I will be turning this skybox swapper into a true "universe replacer" which will support replacing pretty much every texture. And Rareden will continue to build a default HD set of textures to turn our KSP solar system into some real eye candy.

I know (althought it's not only the lights), however still remember we can't see it like most space photos simply because the cameras take long exposure shots which reveal a lot more stars invisible to the naked eye, and this still applies while you're in the space.

even with your naked eye if you get far enough away from the city and say 2km up you get a amazing view, you dont need long exposure to see a lot of stars

Edited by Rareden

even with your naked eye if you get far enough away from the city and say 2km up you get a amazing view, you dont need long exposure to see a lot of stars

That's completely true. You can even see tons of stars if you are at a high altitude and far away from any cities. However, you won't be able to see stuff like this with your naked eye, not even in space.

That's completely true. You can even see tons of stars if you are at a high altitude and far away from any cities. However, you won't be able to see stuff like this with your naked eye, not even in space.

true, you wont see that much glow and color, but it still looks great.

and i am working on a 4096 version

true, you wont see that much glow and color, but it still looks great.

and i am working on a 4096 version

I don't know. I used to do a lot of backcountry skiing. Up high and in cold air you really can see things like that. There is a definite glow to the entire sky. The view from aircraft isn't the same. They vibrate too much and you look all the little stuff. On a moonless night, 20* below zero, above 2000m, say 10km away from the nearest road ... it is a totally different sky. Then the ISS whips by like a fireball in comparison.

So should i make 2 versions, one with low color saturation and quite dim and one with standard saturation and reasonably bright so people can have a choice?

Sure. I might edit those as well :P

I don't know. I used to do a lot of backcountry skiing. Up high and in cold air you really can see things like that. There is a definite glow to the entire sky. The view from aircraft isn't the same. They vibrate too much and you look all the little stuff. On a moonless night, 20* below zero, above 2000m, say 10km away from the nearest road ... it is a totally different sky. Then the ISS whips by like a fireball in comparison.

wish i lived there

/UniverseReplacerv1.1src.7z, If you read the post you would have seen this link.

Ah, so that's what that was! Cool, just didn't want this getting closed down.

Why didn't someone think of this ages ago? Those goofy galaxy sprites have been irritating me since, like, 0.18

4096 version so far, it may need dimming down

RFYS2XU.jpg

You're definitely on the right track, but I agree it needs to be a little bit dimmer. Imagine trying to find the single pixel of a distant planet against the brightest portions.

Ah, keep it bright. Reality is all well and good, but pretty beats smart. Why go through all the effort to create something you cannot see?

YOU-SIR-THUMBS-UP.jpg

i agree completely but apparently the masses dont