[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

I'm using the 4k resolution textures provided in the first post, everything is in the right place and all the files are there but this happens - a quarter of the texture is missing (there's another 'border' 90* to the right):

?

-----

Aside from that, provided I don't look in that particular direction: Wow. Space looks like space now :o

There is just an error in the uploaded UniverseReplacer/Plugins/PluginData/UniverseReplacer/UniverseReplacer.cfg

Edit the file and change:

GalaxyTex_PositiveX = Textures/Skybox/Skybox_PositiveX

GalaxyTex_PositiveX = Textures/Skybox/Skybox_PositiveY

GalaxyTex_PositiveX = Textures/Skybox/Skybox_PositiveZ

To

GalaxyTex_PositiveX = Textures/Skybox/Skybox_PositiveX

GalaxyTex_PositiveY = Textures/Skybox/Skybox_PositiveY

GalaxyTex_PositiveZ = Textures/Skybox/Skybox_PositiveZ

and you are set

Not sure if this has been done already but I used this image http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tycho_catalog_skymap_v2.0_(threshold_magnitude_3.0,_high-res).jpg

to make a skybox with more stars. 2048 resolution.

Place this in your universe replacer folder.

The image is a fantastic start to a skybox, i think i'm going to try to do some blending and add galaxies.

Looks awesome, but according to 7zip most of the files are broken. Can you try re-compressing and re-uploading?

I'll be checking this out for sure!

Why didn't someone think of this ages ago? Those goofy galaxy sprites have been irritating me since, like, 0.18

Plenty of players I know have been wanting this, I just don't think anyone figured out how to do it until now.

Looks awesome, but according to 7zip most of the files are broken. Can you try re-compressing and re-uploading?

You can't open the images in a 7zip until you decompress it. It will always give that error if you try to look at something in a 7zip. Unzip it and the files will be there, I just tested it.

EDIT: So sorry, reworking things. file broke in the upload.

Edited by Apatheticjester

You can't open the images in a 7zip until you decompress it. It will always give that error if you try to look at something in a 7zip. Unzip it and the files will be there, I just tested it.
I used 7zip to decompress the folder. Re-downloading didn't fix things. Edited by Zeroignite

There is just an error in the uploaded UniverseReplacer/Plugins/PluginData/UniverseReplacer/UniverseReplacer.cfg

Edit the file and change:

To

and you are set

Dammit, I'm sorry, another typo - now everything should work fine, re-download the plugin.

That fixed it :)

Thanks for the quick feedback :o

I got a very nice "reality" based on the single hugest Tycho data I could find, the max res download from The Tycho page on NASA. I may play with it and try to overlay a prettier version of the Milky Way, which is visible but not nearly as spectacular as Rareden's beautiful image is.

Here's a zip (sorry I am not a 7z fan in general) of the 6 images that you can put in your ksp\GameData\UniverseReplacer\Textures folder:

2048x2048 Reality.zip (right click and select "download" if your browser tries to open the file)

And here's a pic of a munar orbiter getting between Orion and Taurus:

orion_taurus.png

I got a very nice "reality" based on the single hugest Tycho data I could find, the max res download from The Tycho page on NASA. I may play with it and try to overlay a prettier version of the Milky Way, which is visible but not nearly as spectacular as Rareden's beautiful image is.

Here's a zip (sorry I am not a 7z fan in general) of the 6 images that you can put in your ksp\GameData\UniverseReplacer\Textures folder:

2048x2048 Reality.zip (right click and select "download" if your browser tries to open the file)

Looks very promising (and much more what I am after - a subtle effect), but you might want to try to update this for the newest version of Universe Replacer. I tried renaming the images to be compliant, but they do not seem to be loading into the correct layout - the seams do not match.

Edit: To fix it you just need to switch the names of NegativeY and PositiveY. Then it's perfect. Thank you for the realistic skybox. Could I request a version saved as TGA, instead of JPG? JPG tends to corrupt stars. Also how about a 4096x4096 version?

Edit: Just read that the Tycho dataset does not include nebulae, or the Andromeda galaxy, for example.

Edited by ZRM

I used to do a lot of backcountry skiing. Up high and in cold air you really can see things like that. There is a definite glow to the entire sky.

Under good viewing conditions the night sky does look a lot more impressive than what most people get to see, but it still does not look like a Hubble photo. Astronomy photos show lot more stars and a lot more color than what the human eye can see at such low light levels, even under very good conditions.

The unaided eye can see down to about magnitude 6, which amounts to some 9000 stars in the entire sky. Due to the horizon we can see about half of those. That's exactly how crowded it is.

Of course there's also the milky way, which 'glows'. We can not discern the individual stars in it, and in urban areas it's usually barely visible at all.

Edited by rkman