[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

I'm was wondering what is the difference between the Universe Replacer v2.1.7z and the Universe Replacer v2.1 src.7z?

The opening post doesn't seem to state the difference.

SRC is the source code, which many have asked for as well. I wish the OP would just state that in the post so people stop asking :)

So, I made my own personal modifications to Rareden's stuff, and put in a shiny nebula to test out how it looks, and i think it looks pretty cool! Although I think it needs lots of work still: It needs more clouds, needs to be bigger, and the edges have to fade off better. A good first try, I guess.

BdOwJYd.jpg

I am so sorry for releasing bad textures in this thread earlier. I have downloaded the upload and rechecked it. This one is good. I made a new 2k skybox, it's based off of the same eso data but I changed the style to give it more sparkle and less glow. I then added far infra-red and H-alpha data and tried to display it in a natural looking way. All my source files and stuff are listed in the imgur album. Hope somebody likes it. File here 2k: http://d.pr/f/EI5D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I am so sorry for releasing bad textures in this thread earlier. I have downloaded the upload and rechecked it. This one is good. I made a new 2k skybox, it's based off of the same eso data but I changed the style to give it more sparkle and less glow. I then added far infra-red and H-alpha data and tried to display it in a natural looking way. All my source files and stuff are listed in the imgur album. Hope somebody likes it. File here 2k: http://d.pr/f/EI5D

Totally installing this. While I really enjoy the bundled textures, I was hoping to find a "warmer" texture. This looks fantastic!

E: I am not disappointed:

zgmyI0L.jpg

Edited by regex

I got a very nice "reality" based on the single hugest Tycho data I could find, the max res download from The Tycho page on NASA. I may play with it and try to overlay a prettier version of the Milky Way, which is visible but not nearly as spectacular as Rareden's beautiful image is.

Much-appreciated! I had tried creating my own skybox off from the ESO milky-way images but the absolute realism this provides (the ESO images are quite colorized) is pretty stunning even though it lacks the wow-factor.

:)

I got a very nice "reality" based on the single hugest Tycho data I could find, the max res download from The Tycho page on NASA. I may play with it and try to overlay a prettier version of the Milky Way, which is visible but not nearly as spectacular as Rareden's beautiful image is.

Much appreciated.

I look forward to any work you've made so far on merging the images - the realism is exciting but the fantasy 'pretty' pictures are something else altogether.

I made a new 2k skybox, it's based off of the same eso data but I changed the style to give it more sparkle and less glow. I then added far infra-red and H-alpha data and tried to display it in a natural looking way.

That's really beautiful. I'll have to give it a try! (As soon as I figure out how to replace the textures - the first post doesn't seem too clear on that)

Edited by HeadHunter67

That's really beautiful. I'll have to give it a try! (As soon as I figure out how to replace the textures - the first post doesn't seem too clear on that)

It's a simple matter of renaming the images. Imagine it as a cube, Positive-Z is the front, Positive-Y is the top, Positive-X is to the right. That's how it worked in v1 at least, I'm not sure if the rewritten version is the same.

I've been playing around with that Spacescape program linked earlier in the thread, and am getting close to the kind of skybox I want. It's a great program. Just be aware the top and bottom textures straight out of Spacescape don't match the positive and negative Y textures for Universe Replacer. I haven't yet figured out how to get everything aligned...

I've been playing around with that Spacescape program linked earlier in the thread, and am getting close to the kind of skybox I want. It's a great program. Just be aware the top and bottom textures straight out of Spacescape don't match the positive and negative Y textures for Universe Replacer. I haven't yet figured out how to get everything aligned...

Alignment is a pain. I haven't been able to to get anything look right if it had any detail on the border with the top and bottom squares.

I take a serious performance hit with this installed. I go from a solid 60 (frame limited) in VAB to around 20 even with nothing loaded. I tried both the tex packs in the OP and also a plain black 128x128 square with the same results. Specs are win7 64, nvidia 660ti GTX, amd phenom II quad @3.8ghz, more ram than unity can address. Looks great though!