[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

I'm on a 64bit OS, but never see KSP approach 4GB before crashing. I'm not going to say that it stops at 3.1GB, because I'm never looking at the number the moment it crashes, but it doesn't get much higher.

RAM usage being much lower than 4GB doesn't mean anything. 4GB for a single process is a lot.

Maybe it (crashes) isn't because of RAM usage, KSP on my PC never crashes. Sometimes it freezes for a couple of seconds, but never crashes.

Edited by El wonso

Speaking of the skybox.. if I use cubethesphere, does anyone here know what my image resolution and aspect needs to be to get perfectly clear 2k sized tiles? I actually can paint spacescapes and.. i want to do a true fantasy one, ie colorful and brighter. Like the inside of a nebula to some extend...

Would it be correct to paint it at 6k*6k and make it fully tileable? (Just making sure I don't misunderstand...) working at 6k*6k is not fast ;p

I was wondering this too, haven't figured out a straight answer. I've been using a picture 8k by 4k. It seems to convert fine to 2k tiles. It needs to be twice as wide as it is tall.

RAM usage being much lower than 4GB doesn't mean anything. 4GB for a single process is a lot.

Maybe it (crashes) isn't because of RAM usage, KSP on my PC never crashes. Sometimes it freezes for a couple of seconds, but never crashes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it crashes often. But before I found a combination of mods that works for me, I had moments where I had too many. This caused it to top out its memory limit. Every one of those was an out of memory exception.

I was wondering this too, haven't figured out a straight answer. I've been using a picture 8k by 4k. It seems to convert fine to 2k tiles. It needs to be twice as wide as it is tall.

I think you might be right since skybox is just sphere, like a planet. And planet textures keep 2:1 aspect ratio.

Did anyone actually test whether 2k resolution makes any sense though? Otherwise first thing I will be doing is a checkerboard test so that there is a way to tell how much of the 2k resolution we even see vs resolution we run. I really would prefer working at HALF of 8k*4k

Let me re phrase that, Does anyone have the templates?

Extract them yourself. They're located in sharedassets0. When you're done with your edits save as a tga and put them in a folder.

Also add this to the cfg in the Universe Replacer PulginData:

"EVAhelmet = Textures/Kerbal/Helmet/Helmet1"

(The names for the folders and image file are just the ones I used. You could probably just plop it in an existing folder and it would still work)

Edited by Nutt007

Hi !

I'm french so excuse my pity english.

I'm from a french forum and they convinced me to post my texture creation, they are all from existing celestial bodies.

Here we go :

DRES :

FyP4Ihhl.jpg

GILLY (oui le petit point sur la deuxième image c'est bien gilly):

rc4KOVcl.jpguCJuENOl.jpg

IKE (j'ai réutilisé la texture map de phobos)

0kXLtMNl.jpgKUq3xU0l.png

JOOL (la deuxième image montre jool, laythe et tylo):

ABnp3NAl.jpgY2zu2tPl.jpg

TYLO (texture map modifié de IO)

MvzIadZl.jpg

VALL :

CIXGKknl.jpg

POL :

a2fg8Xnl.jpg

the dropbox link :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qc6knsore0k0lgj/UniverseReplacer.zip

Bonne soirée :D

I'm on a 64bit OS, but never see KSP approach 4GB before crashing. I'm not going to say that it stops at 3.1GB, because I'm never looking at the number the moment it crashes, but it doesn't get much higher.

Mine goes up to just over 3.7GB before finally crashing.

Thank you for the maps but I meant the Kerbal Textures, in the new update you can change Kerbals.

I've made that change of head few day ago

The result was so ugly ... :D

rzx6dW6.jpg

-snip-

Edited by KasperVld

Ehm, does one of the artists who made the starscapes with CubeTheSphere still know what top and bottom were (in relation to KSP skybox cords) and how they had to be rotated to actually fit the skydome?

When I follow this

(It's batch code for easy rename)

ren *_Top.jpg Skybox_PositiveY.jpg
ren *_Bottom.jpg Skybox_NegativeY.jpg

ren *_Front.jpg Skybox_PositiveZ.jpg
ren *_Back.jpg Skybox_NegativeZ.jpg

ren *_Right.jpg Skybox_PositiveX.jpg
ren *_Left.jpg Skybox_NegativeX.jpg

Then I end up with top and bottom being out of alignment with the rest of the texture. And I can't seem to figure out what to rotate which way...

Also my tests show that 2k per tile, or 8k*4k source, is indeed the optimal texture for the skydome. Anyhow, If I could figure out how to align my test skydome correctly I could finally start doing art! ;P

Nmhnmh, seems i have to switch top + (rotate 180°) and bottom for it to align correctly... how odd. must be going senile today.

Edited by eRe4s3r