[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

Oh god, I'm such an idiot. Could've sworn I'd done that. Thanks

Yeah and the jokes on me, as it's a vertical flip ;P Is what happens when ye write before breakfast.... either way, one of those flips is gonna fix it... ,P heh

GUI grey must die.

It may be boring BUT it is good for us with partial colour blindness. I even hate the mechjeb transparent menus and returned them to the grey gui because it is ultimately more readable.

So for me I would say "GUi grey must LIVE".

Yeah and the jokes on me, as it's a vertical flip ;P Is what happens when ye write before breakfast.... either way, one of those flips is gonna fix it... ,P heh

No worries, I got what you meant anyway. Worst thing is, this isn't the first time I've messed with DDS files, I should know that they need flipping.

for the record, Mars does not have visible clouds, and Duna's atmosphere appears thinner than Mars' atmosphere.

Yeah, it's so thin that you really have to dive deep and move at a hell of a rate of speed just to get a small amound of flame effect. To get a good aerobraking resistance you have to be close to hitting the darn ground.

Wow, this thread evolved so much since I last posted.

Um, get me up to speed -

If I use 8k textures and clouds on all planets will it tax the memory too much? Or does the game unload everything that is not currently near me? Like, unless i focus a planet/moon specifically on the map view - textures won't be loaded? Or everything is loaded and i should just leave the planet textures for planets i plan to visit?

I have a question about the plugin. I have the orange suit textures (color and normal), the game changes the color textures but doesnt change the "SuitNormalMap". It keeps the white suit normals. It a bug?

Hmm, I think you are right - must of picked out the wrong normal maps. But then I ask myself, which ones are the correct ones... I'll look into it in the future, or if someone finds them they can PM me names.

Wow, this thread evolved so much since I last posted.

Um, get me up to speed -

If I use 8k textures and clouds on all planets will it tax the memory too much? Or does the game unload everything that is not currently near me? Like, unless i focus a planet/moon specifically on the map view - textures won't be loaded? Or everything is loaded and i should just leave the planet textures for planets i plan to visit?

If your game loads with all that then it works fine and you needn't worry. But if you encounter crashes you need to cut down on the textures a bit. Everything is loaded on start. But ram usage can vary during gameplay... so your mileage may vary. ^^

Optimally only 2 8k textures should be present, and those on the planets you plan to go to. But hey, if you can run with all 8k textures and starfield then why not? Just remind yourself that installing more mod/plugin/addon carries with it a ram usage increase, so a crash you see may not be caused by a mod/plugin/addon but rather by the ram usage being too high....

I feel like I've kind of run out of usefulness. I need to make something. But what?

What about some massive cloud formations on Kerbin? A hurricane with eye visible from the orbit would be very cool.

I know I should have mentioned that in extra bold, but sometimes when I write the name of the texture pack this hack is for on the screenshots I post I really mean it literally ;)
Thing is though, when all you're doing is taking screenshots, you want them to show everything at its best. Messed up shadows are definitely not better than bumped clouds.

If your game loads with all that then it works fine and you needn't worry. But if you encounter crashes you need to cut down on the textures a bit. Everything is loaded on start. But ram usage can vary during gameplay... so your mileage may vary. ^^

Optimally only 2 8k textures should be present, and those on the planets you plan to go to. But hey, if you can run with all 8k textures and starfield then why not? Just remind yourself that installing more mod/plugin/addon carries with it a ram usage increase, so a crash you see may not be caused by a mod/plugin/addon but rather by the ram usage being too high....

I'll make some test, since I am pretty sure my KSP is already running near its memory limit.

I have like 10 addons. If it starts crashing I'll know it's the textures, since so far I have had no crashes.

Thing is though, when all you're doing is taking screenshots, you want them to show everything at its best. Messed up shadows are definitely not better than bumped clouds.

Nmhn, that's not how taste works. To me, smooth clouds are definitely better than bumped clouds. See? ;) Pointless argument, the hack disables bump and smoothes clouds because bump shadows are already baked onto the planet texture.

If you want this differently there is nothing stopping you.

Saik0

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25148-0-21-1-Web-maps-of-all-bodies

offers high res flat colored sat imagery of the native planets and if you know how to convert the gigantic elevation data to a heightmap you can always try your hand at doing that.

For clouds .. NASA blue marble

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=57747

And my screenshots were not for showing everything at it's best. I was asked what the difference is between using the 1px kerbin2 hack and not using it. If you don't like it, you can always opt not to use it ;p

In my view, a bump-less planet is the best we can currently do, until we can layer clouds instead of merging them with kerbin1

Ps.: Merging height maps of clouds and planets will make clouds look like mountains.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Yes. It's still only helping if you zoom in like hell, it's not like I couldn't see the mounties before the 8k, but again it's not really game changing for me...

If that's what you think you should install low res textures (like 400x200). You will still see the mountains but framerate/loading times will be better.

Changing textures to high res ones is not about game changing, it's about eye candy and details.

If that's what you think you should install low res textures (like 400x200). You will still see the mountains but framerate/loading times will be better.

Changing textures to high res ones is not about game changing, it's about eye candy and details.

I guesse, but forsome planets it's just not nacicary, like Eeloo... I install the 8k textures only because they have clouds in it and some textures pack make a HUGE difference from the deafult planets, that's an eye candy for me.

So anyhow, someone asked for Duna with clouds.. thing is I am still experimenting on that ;)

That is...

Clouds with shadows

Ground beneath clouds no longer carrying bump (in the diffuse map!) This does not mean there won't be bump. Just no TEXTURE of ground bump on the clouds.

Specular cut-off including ice caps and clouds. Meaning ground = matte, icecaps and clouds = specular ***to be tested***

(Screenshots from Photoshop, not in-game)

O3xjOFLl.jpg

MgFAe6Xl.jpg

Thing is, these shadows will be baked, and I am not gonna hide it, there will be tiling issues at the seams with this.

The other way is to do shadows with top-down shadows and not directional ones, this fixes tiling issues.....

aLIdOCsl.jpg

Anyhow, or clouds without shadows.....

KkGL9nHl.jpg

Opinions? (And sorry for not taking the same screenshot location each time, I am in a hurry ;P )

Also color changes can be made to the clouds. Dust clouds instead of water vapor clouds. Etc.

All the screenshots have the ground slightly blurred beneath the clouds, this muddles definition a bit, but I find this looked better.

Also this cloud coveris Nasa composite *2 (rotated 180°) and edited to remove obvious major cloud formations in the 2nd layer (first layer is standard nasa, second layer is rotated and edited nasa). Basically the cloud cover is more dense.

Edited by eRe4s3r

So anyhow, someone asked for Duna with clouds.. thing is I am still experimenting on that ;)

That is...

Clouds with shadows

Ground beneath clouds no longer carrying bump (in the diffuse map!) This does not mean there won't be bump. Just no TEXTURE of ground bump on the clouds.

Specular cut-off including ice caps and clouds. Meaning ground = matte, icecaps and clouds = specular ***to be tested***

(Screenshots from Photoshop, not in-game)

pic

pic

Thing is, these shadows will be baked, and I am not gonna hide it, there will be tiling issues at the seams with this.

The other way is to do shadows with top-down shadows and not directional ones, this fixes tiling issues.....

pic

Anyhow, or clouds without shadows.....

pic

Opinions? (And sorry for not taking the same screenshot location each time, I am in a hurry ;P )

Also color changes can be made to the clouds. Dust clouds instead of water vapor clouds. Etc.

All the screenshots have the ground slightly blurred beneath the clouds, this muddles definition a bit, but I find this looked better.

YES PLEASE, although I would prefer this on Kerbin clouds, I think clouds on Duna don't make much sense to me.

I was wondering, could this universe replacer be expanded to replace in-game music?