[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

Apparently the 8K textures crash my game on the main menu. The error is "Read from location dfa20016 caused an access violation." I am getting this error a lot recently, maybe too many mods/parts?

It is in "Games" folder. Never had this before.

KSP is running out of memory. This is a known issue (caused by KSP's 32-bit design causing a hard cap of 4GB of RAM usage, and there is no fix on the horizon), and can be resolved by removing some mods, especially large part mods. Or try removing some of the textures. Your call.

How about something soviet? Would go well with the various part packs.

I don't know much about the history of space suits but a quick glance at Wikipedia seems to indicate you could just replace some flags and text on the existing orlan texture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Russian_space_suit_3.jpg

Or you could go for Gagarin's orange suit with the red CCCP across the helmet.

Edited by kingosci

Would it be possible to add normals to the bottom for my mod, or just flip them while the camera is underwater?

Maybe something like this would work, if we could identify the mesh of the ocean:

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/ReverseNormals

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/330025/flip-normals-unity-lightwave-spheres.html

I would assume it's not easy to do this without the unity project itself ,p In KSP the ocean has backface culling enabled, what you want would require it to be disabled. I am guessing the ocean sphere is drawn with an unity specific method..... the 2 ways to do this would either be disabling backface culling or duplication the entire ocean mesh and flipping it's face normals.

Either way, a KSP developer would need to help you do this as far as I understand... I am not even sure how they draw the ocean. Specifically, or how they prevent z-fighting at the coast.

How about something soviet? Would go well with the various part packs.

I don't know much about the history of space suits but a quick glance at Wikipedia seems to indicate you could just replace some flags and text on the existing orlan texture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Russian_space_suit_3.jpg

Or you could go for Gagarin's orange suit with the red CCCP across the helmet.

I'm already working on this suit. It's called Krechet.

As much as I loved having the option of clouds, I ultimately decided to remove them and go with a cloudless texture. Clouds look great but they really interfere with planning a landing.

Thanks to Levelord, MrTheBull, and Tingle I finally made a suit that I like for my space program "Potato Aerospace" :D

You can count to... I mean, ON Potato! :D

Ok, so to make texture pack browsing and sharing easier, I decided to create a subreddit dedicated to texture packs for this mod: http://www.reddit.com/r/KSPTexturePacks/. It sucks that you can't have a proper image/gallery linked together with the post, but at least it gives us a rating system which will become useful. I'll be reworking the style abit over the days.

My tip to anyone who want's to post something there, is to just post a link to a post here on the forum and the fist thing people should see is a Imgur gallery. I've collected most of the things in this thread and posted them there, if you want yours removed to do something new or out of what ever reasons, PM me HERE (not on reddit) - and I'll remove it.

Edited by Tingle

Ok, so to make texture pack browsing and sharing easier, I decided to create a subreddit dedicated to texture packs for this mod: http://www.reddit.com/r/KSPTexturePacks/. It sucks that you can't have a proper image/gallery linked together with the post, but at least it gives us a rating system which will become useful. I'll be reworking the style abit over the days.

My tip to anyone who want's to post something there, is to just post a link to a post here on the forum and the fist thing people should see is a Imgur gallery. I've collected most of the things in this thread and posted them there, if you want yours removed to do something new or out of what ever reasons, PM me HERE (not on reddit) - and I'll remove it.

My English isn't perfect, but you mean that if somebody created a new texture he should give you a link and the picture, right? And you will upload our works on KSPTexturePacks site? Am i right?

Reddit is not for uploading, it's for rating of (links to) content. Basically he puts "links" there to here or rather the posts of uploads in this topic.

Essentially you should make or edit a post here with all your "stuff" nicely presented and he links it on that subreddit. So people can "easily" find it. (Putting that in quotation marks because this forum design here is very bad for the kind of plugin the universe replacer is) This plugin needs it's own sub-forum with stickies FAQ's and packs being presented in whole topics not in a single post in a 1100 post behemoth or without relation on subreddit. But it's the best we can do for now I guess.

Ps.: I love your "Improved" planet textures Tingle, although I use a 8k cloud matte Kerbin, everything else is your stuff, and it looks so much slicker than native... very nice ;P

'I' don't have to post them on reddit, I'm welcoming all of you to do so - that's the reason I created it so I don't have to take care of the texture pack management anymore ^^.

KSP is running out of memory. This is a known issue (caused by KSP's 32-bit design causing a hard cap of 4GB of RAM usage, and there is no fix on the horizon), and can be resolved by removing some mods, especially large part mods. Or try removing some of the textures. Your call.

I had a feeling.

Maybe because AIES Aerospace, B9, KLF, LH Aerospace, 1 billion other mods :P

I might remove B9.... But...

huh.

I'm sure that this has already been covered, but there are a cubic grunch ton of pages to this and I don't have the patience to read through all thousand or so posts. Is there anyone that is taking requests for EVA and IVA helmets? So far, that is the only thing I want a custom replacement for. The suits are fine as they are, and I can find a good skybox from what is already set up. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I found the post that explains how to extract the files from the asset file, and I have attempted to alter the files, however I don't have any programs that can handle a dds file. I don't have the money for photoshop, and I wouldn't want to buy it just to use it on one aspect of a single game. Thanks again!

Edited by Pyromaniacal

I'm sure that this has already been covered, but there are a cubic grunch ton of pages to this and I don't have the patience to read through all thousand or so posts. Is there anyone that is taking requests for EVA and IVA helmets? So far, that is the only thing I want a custom replacement for. The suits are fine as they are, and I can find a good skybox from what is already set up. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I found the post that explains how to extract the files from the asset file, and I have attempted to alter the files, however I don't have any programs that can handle a dds file. I don't have the money for photoshop, and I wouldn't want to buy it just to use it on one aspect of a single game. Thanks again!

I use this to convert them to PNGs, then I edit them with gimp, which is free :) just don't forget to flip the image vertically as it'll be upside down