[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

KSP on OS X is still 32-bit, sadly.

I am aware, but as OS X has PAE support the following applies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Though it may be a hard limit in unity... I only get to about 750MB when it crashes my system if using kerbin1/eve1 from tingles pack, I can use the mun/minimus textures fine so as I said before it's crashing due to unity (on osx at least) choking on the alpha channel png's. I pasted the exact kernel error message 2 pages back.

thanks for the picture mister simplicity. sadly, that's exactly how i installed it but it still doesnt work..

here's my mod list:

ok, just a suggestion, I dunno if you tried it yet or not, create a new ksp folder, and have it stock only, copy the universeReplacer ONLY into the new ksp and then run it, see if they show up in a completly stock game..

If they do then start installing your mods one at a time into your new ksp and see which one breaks it..

I know it will be a drawn out process, but having done it myself to find other things I know it works :)

ok, just a suggestion, I dunno if you tried it yet or not, create a new ksp folder, and have it stock only, copy the universeReplacer ONLY into the new ksp and then run it, see if they show up in a completly stock game..

If they do then start installing your mods one at a time into your new ksp and see which one breaks it..

I know it will be a drawn out process, but having done it myself to find other things I know it works :)

i haven't tried it yet because i know that would take me 2 hours of work and i wanted to avoid it, but by reading your post i though it was really the last option remaining so i just gave it a shot. after on hour and a half of copying and trying and launches i've finally managed to get it working by this way. thank you!

i haven't tried it yet because i know that would take me 2 hours of work and i wanted to avoid it, but by reading your post i though it was really the last option remaining so i just gave it a shot. after on hour and a half of copying and trying and launches i've finally managed to get it working by this way. thank you!

Next time: If you have 20 mods, remove 10 - if problem persists, remove 5 more - etc.

Great you finally got to see the textures - Can you share with everyone what it was that was stopping it from working, that way others will know if they strike the same problem :)

Are higher resolution skybox textures supported? I made this:

Sd2rnBX.jpg

However, it looks quite crappy at such a low resolution (1024 x 1024), so I'd like to go up to at least 2048 x 2048 or even 4096 x 4096 if needed. Is this possible?

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

I think most of the good HD skybox replacements are 4k x 4k so yes. Even up to 8k is possible, but probably unnecessarily large in most cases (textures above a certain point also have a tendency to shimmer from a distance.)

I think most of the good HD skybox replacements are 4k x 4k so yes. Even up to 8k is possible, but probably unnecessarily large in most cases (textures above a certain point also have a tendency to shimmer from a distance.)

I tried making a 2048 x 2048 version of the same skybox, but the game doesn't load it. It just shows the default skybox. Is there a setting I need to change to get the game to load HD textures?

I am aware, but as OS X has PAE support the following applies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Though it may be a hard limit in unity... I only get to about 750MB when it crashes my system if using kerbin1/eve1 from tingles pack, I can use the mun/minimus textures fine so as I said before it's crashing due to unity (on osx at least) choking on the alpha channel png's. I pasted the exact kernel error message 2 pages back.

Yeah, it's still a hard limit in Unity as the engine must be able to compile on everything from Windows and Mac, to Android.

Ok, finally done - updated my Celestial Bodies Revamped texture pack to rev4!

rev4 - Retouched many existing bodies and added all of the rest. This is the semi-final release, I might touch up something over time but other than that - this pack is complete. Also went back to using 7zip due to the fact that so many people had problems with the part files which lead to them using 7zip anyway. You can get it here: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Also, I will be releasing Universe Replacer v4.0 soon, which brings a brand new feature that recreates celestial body textures during loading with filtering - which means no more grisly pixels and artifacts on high res textures in the distance.

PS: I also really wished more people would make textures and link them on Reddit for more variety, I've seen a lot of stuff being made or ideas being brought up - but nothing linked or created :P.

Edited by Tingle

Great you finally got to see the textures - Can you share with everyone what it was that was stopping it from working, that way others will know if they strike the same problem :)

it was a combination of the EVA followers plugins and one another that i installed wrong. the last one wasnt blocking my game but got in conflict with the UniverseReplacer. that was very hard to find :)

Yay Tingle! Now I'll spend some time playing with textures to try and balance between aesthetics and memory footprint, possibly adding flair of my own. Is it cool if I redistribute now?

Also what existing bodies did you tweak, and how?

Yay Tingle! Now I'll spend some time playing with textures to try and balance between aesthetics and memory footprint, possibly adding flair of my own. Is it cool if I redistribute now?

Also what existing bodies did you tweak, and how?

I don't want anyone redistributing my work, you can use them as bases or templates, but if they just end up looking like mine in a slightly different color or something like that, then I wouldn't be very happy about it.

HELP! Anything put into the kerbals folder doesn't work! I tried making my own texture, and it didn't work. I tired someone else's eva suit to make sure it was working, and it doesn't! Anybody know a fix?

try removing the eva normal map?

Well, I got it fixed. I had accidentally put 2 underscores in the names of the skybox textures :P Now everything is working fine.

E: Also something I noticed: If one of your skybox textures is upside down or sideways, DO NOT rotate it with any photo viewing software (or by right clicking in windows and selecting rotate) - this will leave ugly seams around the sides and will also ruin the opposite side's map with said seams. Rotate the textures in a proper image editor and you won't have a problem.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

I don't want anyone redistributing my work, you can use them as bases or templates, but if they just end up looking like mine in a slightly different color or something like that, then I wouldn't be very happy about it.
Fair enough. S'why I asked! :)

Im getting a crashing upon loading KSP on kerbin2. With Celestial Bodies Revamped v4. wasnt having this problem on v3 or v2. anyone else having this problem? Probably a mix of plugins causing it, but im unsure.

Well, even been like that, i'm not able to put those large sky textures on iMac, and i have 12gb of ram.

But i think this crashes on ksp limitation is more because i have a 512mb of video board only. (6770M)

So, for know, i am trying to run removing the textures, but until now, i couldn't. (don't have too much time to expend on this perhaps...)

Well, even been like that, i'm not able to put those large sky textures on iMac, and i have 12gb of ram.

But i think this crashes on ksp limitation is more because i have a 512mb of video board only. (6770M)

So, for know, i am trying to run removing the textures, but until now, i couldn't. (don't have too much time to expend on this perhaps...)

Isn't KSP 32 bit as well at the moment? So the other 9 or so GB of ram you have isn't being used.