[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

Check your memory usage. KSP crashes when it passes around 3.6GB.

So is this a thing where I just need to not load so many of them at once? Like just load the bodies I need for the current missions?

So is this a thing where I just need to not load so many of them at once? Like just load the bodies I need for the current missions?
Remove mod (or stock) parts you don't need, don't add UR textures that aren't worth it (like gilly --- a high res potato is still a potato), and lower the res of textures that don't need full size.

I have 2GB of vram and as I mentioned before, when my system crashes due to the universe replacer alpha png's it's not even close to 1GB of memory allocation.

As of unity 4.2 there is a 64bit OSX build option, and there has been one available for windows going back to sometime in unity 3.x... Lets hope the KSP devs release an update with the latest engine and 64bit support soon, this is one of the few unity games that truly needs a 64bit standalone player...

http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-4.2

Mac OS X: 64 bit standalone player support (x86_64 and Universal).

Amazingly, OSX 10.9 DP6 update must have done something kind to the graphics drivers. Tingles kerbin texture loads now, and it looks delightful, though I may switch it out for one with clouds :)

Edited by Climberfx

Released Universe Replacer v4.0

v4.0 - Added new feature that re-creates the Celestial bodies with texture filtering/mipmaping, no more pixely noise or artifacts in the distance - this increases loading times but is necessary. Decreased memory usage when loading the game, will now instantly replace and unload overridden textures when the original is loaded, and not wait until all originals are loaded. Fixed issue with the EVASuitNormalMap bugging up the rest of the EVASuit textures.

Didn't get around to supporting more parts, but you can always add support for them manually over the cfg, this update is mainly to improve the looks of planets and memory usage, enjoy.

Amazingly, OSX 10.9 DP6 update must have done something kind to the graphics drivers. Tingles kerbin texture loads now, and it looks delightful, though I may switch it out for one with clouds :)

Man, i can't put Maverick on my machine, it won't work with After Effects yet, and this is my FlagShip at work...

So tingle, we can replace textures. How hard would it be to extend this to music and sounds in-game?

This is something I've been dying to know about too. As much as I love the in-game music, replacing it so that I can hear something new every once in a while would be amazing.

This is something I've been dying to know about too. As much as I love the in-game music, replacing it so that I can hear something new every once in a while would be amazing.

Yes... it is possible, at least for music, and it would even be possible to add more random music parts that are played during vehicle construction and when in space because they use a playlist which I can fill... but the question is, would someone even bother to create music that could be used? The lack of textures being created would hint at no, and normally people that want to listen to music could just turn off the in game music and listen to what ever they want over their desktop.

Some say the universe is an ocean of stars.

space_ocean.jpg

I say it's funnier if the universe is just an ocean, period.

EDIT: I'm amazed nobody did this yet...

kerbalception.jpg

I've heard it said that the universe is a mirror, but this is just ridiculous.

kerbalception2.jpg

Still, at least we don't need spy satellites...

Edited by SkyRender

That "Kerbin" sky gives me a funny idea: How about making the skybox be blue with clouds? Sure it would look weird from orbit, but it would give you clouds from the ground!

Actually, no it wouldn't. The thing about that is, when you're on the ground, it doesn't render the skybox unless the light angle from the sun is low enough. So instead of having clouds, you'd just have the usual empty blue skies during the day and inexplicably blue cloudy skies at night.

There is one nice thing about the "Kerbalception" skybox, at least: docking is a cinch at night.

That "Kerbin" sky gives me a funny idea: How about making the skybox be blue with clouds? Sure it would look weird from orbit, but it would give you clouds from the ground!

That would be terrifying when out in deep space. Just nothing but endless sky... would we have to build huge wings on our interplanetary ships? :D

Yes... it is possible, at least for music, and it would even be possible to add more random music parts that are played during vehicle construction and when in space because they use a playlist which I can fill... but the question is, would someone even bother to create music that could be used? The lack of textures being created would hint at no, and normally people that want to listen to music could just turn off the in game music and listen to what ever they want over their desktop.

I don't think I'd be creating music, no (nor do I think there would be many other people who would). But like any other game, it's fun to just put in your own music to play at different times. So it might be silly, but it'd be a nice option to have. If we could get complete custom soundpacks, I think that'd be really cool.

Edited by zxcvb55

Hey, I'm not really sure where to post problems, so I'll just post it here: I'm having trouble getting the re-textured planets and moons to show up in game. The Skybox works, but not the planets or moons. When I start up KSP, it goes to the loading screen, where it loads all the parts and stuff. when it does that, I see it load the new textures for everything. Then when the actual game starts up, the only thing that shows up different is the Skybox. am I putting things in the wrong place?

Hey, I'm not really sure where to post problems, so I'll just post it here: I'm having trouble getting the re-textured planets and moons to show up in game. The Skybox works, but not the planets or moons. When I start up KSP, it goes to the loading screen, where it loads all the parts and stuff. when it does that, I see it load the new textures for everything. Then when the actual game starts up, the only thing that shows up different is the Skybox. am I putting things in the wrong place?

The planet texture replacements only replace the textures for those planets for the distant models. Up close, the game will fade into the high-detail models, which the Universe Replacer cannot currently replace.

Some say the universe is an ocean of stars.

space_ocean.jpg

I say it's funnier if the universe is just an ocean, period.

EDIT: I'm amazed nobody did this yet...

kerbalception.jpg

I've heard it said that the universe is a mirror, but this is just ridiculous.

kerbalception2.jpg

Still, at least we don't need spy satellites...

Cool, its a Kerbin Dysons Sphere, it would be awsome if we could fly out there and land on it.

On a side note, how weird would it be to live in a Dysons Sphere seeing other contenents in your sky instead of.....well....a sky.