[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

@sumunisto KSP has serious problems with large pretty textures at the moment. Being a 32bit program KSP can only run with a limited amount of memory (something like 3.4gb of ram). Since the game loads all assets into memory on launch large textures eat into this very quickly. Everybody's computers spec's are unfortunately irrelevant to this problem. It gets worse with other mods that use textures. Sorry but your going to have to make a choice between high resolution textures and parts mods. Try removing textures your not likely to care about and/or parts you dont use very often. The trick is to find a balance that allows KSP to run without fps drops or crashes.
I am aware of the memory limitations of KSP mate, however this is not the case.No crashes occur and KSP does not pass the threshold of 3.34 Gb.I stated that I have removed all textures and tried running KSP with just skybox, but to no avail.I am unconvinced loading up RAM memory can in any way affect FPS of the game. Especifically when you get issues like increased FPS drops when holding a part.P.S.: Which forum admin had the clever idea of removing new lines. It just blows my mind away, the "brilliant mind" behind it...

Hello all! ZodiaK here! (awesome mod BTW) I was wondering if anyone could be kind enough to make me a suit texture.

I'd do it myself, but frankly, I'm utter rubbish.

here's a redering in paint:

Kv4ldOD.png

Thanks!

ZodiaK. Yes, I know I said this before, but no-one seemed to notice :P

I don't get any perceivable FPS drop from new skyboxes, part count is the major limiting factor for me. Given that 99% of people will have a minimum of 2GB RAM, I'd imagine that CPU is the most important part of a spec for KSP in its current form. The RAM factor can be managed - I have 2GB and run just about 1GB worth of mods (size of gamedaa folder, minus size of gamedata/Squad), I very rarely experience RAM related crashes, but one more mod over my current level puts me in crashville. Other than that it runs smooth as silk, with the framerate dropping as part no. goes up. Recently I was docking a 300 part spaceplane with a modest spacestation and that was about the limit of barability. Given that my CPU and graphics card (Core i3 and nVidia GTS 250) are fairly middle-of-the-road its unsurprising, I'd wager a faster CPU would give me greatest benefit.

I am aware of the memory limitations of KSP mate, however this is not the case.No crashes occur and KSP does not pass the threshold of 3.34 Gb.I stated that I have removed all textures and tried running KSP with just skybox, but to no avail.I am unconvinced loading up RAM memory can in any way affect FPS of the game. Especifically when you get issues like increased FPS drops when holding a part.P.S.: Which forum admin had the clever idea of removing new lines. It just blows my mind away, the "brilliant mind" behind it...

Have you tried a fresh install? :)

@Zodiak: I'll give the suit a whirl. Just got a custom one for myself done, and wouldn't mind the practice. What color is the helmet, though? The image doesn't really help me! Also, the "hat" thing (not the helmet, but on his head, I don't know what that is called...) I don't think comes with the suit. I think that would be the kerbal texture itself, which I haven't messed with yet. It'll be a few days maybe, but I'll post up a link for you later!

UPDATE: I didn't want to double post, so here's the link to the suit - http://cl.ly/0W1L1J0B2v2w Was quicker than I thought! Worked out really well, IMO.

Edited by Raptor831
Added suit file

@Raptor831

Thank you so much! Jeb is pleased with his space... bonnet thing :)

I know that I didn't give you much to work with, and you did great work with my lousy render.

I would just like to add; could you make the helmet white, and the bonnet go around the chin? that would be great. Thx!

From

Kv4ldOD.png

to

IRV5YBq.png

ZodiaK. Friggin' remarkable!! :confused:

Edited by ZodiaK

- for you german users if you're interested, I was a guest on Selgalds "Talkrakete", talking about the mod, ksp and me. Check it out if anyone is interested. It's a 4 part, with part 1 and 2 out as of when I'm writing this, I added it to the first post under reviews.

I think there may be a memory leak somewhere in the plugin, as no matter what texture I load, or even if I load one at all, the game sputters to around 30 FPS. This may have been reported before, but I don't have the patience to look though 35 pages of posts. (I have it set up so I get 40 posts per page, not 10)

Have I imagined the brown EVE texture? I looked trough the entire thread and on reddit!

On another note, I tried changing the color of Jool to a dark blue, and Minmus to IO looking, it looked very nice, but when I get closer to the Objects they revert to the normal color? (I just edited someones textures for myself)

I'm having trouble with the randomized suits. It chooses a new suit every time a new Kerbal EVAs and the suits don't match the helmets.

I have a feeling that cannot be avoided for the time being. Suits are assigned at random, and they aren't permanent once the Kerbal has left the vessel. It could change again if another Kerbal leaves the vessel close by. At least that is my experience.

Edited by UAL002

Wasn't really happy with any of the Duna Textures I saw here. If anyone's interested these are the ones I threw together. Three in the folder right now are:

1. Original Mars texture, with clouds and with accurate-to-ksp icecaps

2. Truer to original KSP texture with clouds, just more detail

3. Same as above without clouds

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/2efedc200f/

^Just pick the one you want and rename it Duna1.png That should be obvious.

Previews:

qpqn.jpg

xqpm.jpg

Only problem with clouds on Duna are the massive canyons that make them look funky in places.

jt9i.jpg

twk.jpg

t0mr.jpg

If anyone needs the mars texture without the clouds PM me and I'll relayer my original and post it here

Going to try EVE next. All the textures for it right now could be improved on...

Edited by Insomn

High Resolution 8K Kerbin Textures

And yes the last two matte ones are suppose to look strange when you view them in Windows. The game will render the layers properly.

I want to make a file the same way you are here, but I'm confused about how you did it. When I open the PNG's in photoshop, I just get a picture of the ocean. I don't see any more layers and I'm fairly confused, because the game uses it just fine as you said, but it doesn't help me when I try to do the same sort of thing for Eve...

4oi7.jpg

This is sort of what I have going on for Eve, I'm not really sure if the land mass is correct because I'm basing it off of one of those textures where I can't see all the layers in photoshop. I assume it's right, but I don't have anything capable of landing there right now to check. Seems to look okay in game, but I was gonna launch a mission to Eve first to see how it actually works colorwise and land-wise. If anyone wants it before then, I'll put it up right away though.

Edited by Insomn