[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

I want to make a file the same way you are here, but I'm confused about how you did it. When I open the PNG's in photoshop, I just get a picture of the ocean. I don't see any more layers and I'm fairly confused, because the game uses it just fine as you said, but it doesn't help me when I try to do the same sort of thing for Eve...

-snip-

This is sort of what I have going on for Eve, I'm not really sure if the land mass is correct because I'm basing it off of one of those textures where I can't see all the layers in photoshop. I assume it's right, but I don't have anything capable of landing there right now to check. Seems to look okay in game, but I was gonna launch a mission to Eve first to see how it actually works colorwise and land-wise. If anyone wants it before then, I'll put it up right away though.

Oh wow, that's beautiful!

I'm trying to make Eve more like Venus and give it continuous cloud cover (ie. you won't see anything of the terrain until you get to the upper atmosphere). I just can't get the Eve2 image the way I want to. Image 1 shows how it looks if you leave Eve2 untouched. I don't want that bump map, indicating where the terrain is. I want it smooth like Jool. Image 2 shows my feeble attempts at removing it (made the layer transparent). Image 3 shows my new Jool look.

So how do I make Eve smooth with no bump map showing the terrain?

k5PC7Vk.jpg

I get an FPS hit using this. Is there any research into texture type or size in order to help out FPS. Looking at most of the texture files they are 1024x1024 and many of them, like helmets, don't have very much detail so would 512x512 or even 256x256 be a better size?

Robau's Clouded Venus and Swirly Jool

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This mod adds a continuous Venus-like cloud cover to Eve, with the underlying terrain only becoming visible at around 110,000 meters. It also adds more Jupiter-like swirley clouds to Jool. Both are in 2K resolution, a limitation of the source material I had to work with. Credits to NASA for the Venus cloud map and to Priteeboy for the gas giant texture.

Download link

Edited by CaptRobau

I get an FPS hit using this. Is there any research into texture type or size in order to help out FPS. Looking at most of the texture files they are 1024x1024 and many of them, like helmets, don't have very much detail so would 512x512 or even 256x256 be a better size?
People seem to ignore questions regarding performance here, mate. It seems like 90% of the users of UP don't use any other mods, or very little amount of such.Me, and a few other users reported FPS drops when using UP, it fell on a deaf ear though. Sort of a bummer to stop using a mod just because it has a memory leak or is untested with a larger quantity of other mods installed. But nothing we can do. I deleted it and got used to the low resolution default skybox again. Atleast I can play with more than 20 fps then.

I can say that I don't notice an FPS hit when using this mod. All I've got in there is custom EVA textures (helmet, suit, jetpack). My screen is only 60 Hz anyway, and I'm lucky to get around 30 fps I think. I have a metric crap-ton of mods installed, so it's not solely to do with lots of mods being used with this.

KSP is really bad about physics, which runs on a single processor core. Anything that affects that stream will hurt your FPS because the physics need to run every frame. This is usually the cause of most KSP slowdowns. It doesn't matter if you have a crazy good graphics card or not, if the physics core can't keep up, your FPS drops. You can lower the max physics delta in your settings to keep your FPS up at the expense of time (i.e. time slows down but FPS remains high). I think default is .10, but to keep it above 20 FPS you'll need like .05 or lower, and 30 FPS is around .03. Just be prepared for s-l-o-w gameplay with high part counts.

Running lots of mods will affect speed as well, because RAM is at a premium for this game. Anything above 3GB (or thereabouts) and you get slower, and too much more you'll crash. It's an engine thing. I know lots of people mention this, so you probably know, but just in case. ;) I'd try downsizing the textures to half dimensions and seeing if that improves FPS. If it does, you can let everyone know what helped you. I figure high-quality textures will kill my game, so I'm not even going to attempt! I'm already running textures at half-res anyway to get all of the mods to load.

If you really want to help, you should post some logs so the mod dev can see what's up. Maybe PM Tingle just as an extra help and include the logs. Who knows, it might be just a bug that went unnoticed.

Well I don't know the actual FPS but I was just using 4 different suit textures and when I was walking a Kerbal across Minmus it was a slide show. I removed the mod and everything was fine with a good FPS after that. I also notice a FPS hit during launch that went away after removing the mod. How does the mod work? Is it the main KSP loop constantly calling it to check for a texture change? If so could there be flags to set in the cfg file that would disable checks for textures not being changed? It's kind of a waste to build texture list and scan through them all the time if that texture is never changed. Could it be done by removing all entries from the Texture List.txt file? I play around with changing the texture sizes and file types tonight if I have the time.

Robau's Clouded Venus and Swirly Jool

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This mod adds a continuous Venus-like cloud cover to Eve, with the underlying terrain only becoming visible at around 110,000 meters. It also adds more Jupiter-like swirley clouds to Jool. Both are in 2K resolution, a limitation of the source material I had to work with. Credits to NASA for the Venus cloud map and to Priteeboy for the gas giant texture.

Download link

Download isn't working :(

Hello, this texture pack that you have done, is it of our actual solar system as in Earth, Moon, Mars, Saturn, e.t.c

or is it just a HD remake of the original KSP universe??

Cheers, Ryan.

Well, I changed the texture size to 512x512 for suits and 256x256 for helmets and faces. The only problem I ran into was that I had my flag on the helmets and it ended up as a blob so I removed it. I also tried the textures as tga files but they were significantly larger than the png files. 193k for the tga vs 25k for the png. I did notice an improvement in that walking on Minmus was smother. My suits have little detail so the smaller file size didn't make any difference in quality that I could see. That will be the extent of my experiments for now because my son just gave me his desk top system because he upgraded to a new one. The difference between my old system and this new one is very significant so any further testing is worthless until I get use to how KSP runs on the new system.

Ok, here's an honest-to-Jeb part texture replacement!

White Command Pod Mk1

a8UD0cZ.png?1

MQUlFdI.png?1

Download

I got tired of not being able to see the stock black Mk1 command pod on the dark side of worlds, plus it didn't seem to fit very well with the white/grey of other parts. This replacement is a fix. Texture size is the same as stock.

Feel free to modify and distribute this texture however you wish within the bounds of the KSP EULA.

Tingle, may you please add this to the reddit subforum for me?

So as a workaround for the archive-parts lock that Mediafire did on my Celestial Bodies Revamped HD pack, I reuploaded them as .zip files, which I tested and are extractable with winrar at least, 7zip doesn't tho and not sure about the built in windows zip. It is required to download both the .zip and .z01 file and then extract over the .zip. So this is better than no downloading at all.

Tingle, may you please add this to the reddit subforum for me?

I don't manage the texture packs, you can post it yourself on the subreddit, its just a link to your post.