[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

Oh. Oh my god. I... I did it. Eve is sexy again.

Edit

Hey gang, I saved Kerbin from shiny-hell and tweaked the colors ever so slightly. The greens and browns may look a bit "warm" but while launching there's no drastic change when the texture transition from surface to space happens. It's a little more seamless.

Mountains seem a bit dark, too. Not sure what to do about it. :(

Until I update the pack (making sure there's nothing else I want to tweak) here's a download for just Kerbin. It includes both a Universe Replacer version and a Texture Replacer version if any of you prefer that mod.

Edited by Endraxial

Question Endraxial: when you're in Kerbin's atmosphere with this skybox, do your stars twinkle, especially when moving fast (like in a spaceplane)? Because I'm totally getting this unintentionally awesome twinkle effect on Kerbin.

EDIT: It's just from camera movement it seems. Happens anywhere. Still looks kinda neat, but not as cool as I thought it was. :\

Edited by zxcvb55

Question Endraxial: when you're in Kerbin's atmosphere with this skybox, do your stars twinkle, especially when moving fast (like in a spaceplane)? Because I'm totally getting this unintentionally awesome twinkle effect on Kerbin.

EDIT: It's just from camera movement it seems. Happens anywhere. Still looks kinda neat, but not as cool as I thought it was. :\

Yeah, at first it kind of blew my mind. I almost thought it was an animated texture, but then I remembered I've had other skyboxes tiwnkle. I think if you lower the size of the images it'll stop that from happening as much if it gets on your nerves.

does it work on .23? also I have a question. I want to be able to replace every planet in the game with real solar system planets(Kerbin -> Earth) BUT with kerbol scales.

This works in v.23 but textures for Tylo won't appear without a small edit in the Universe Replacer's config file. If you want to use real world planets you can get surface textures for those here. However, some planets might look a bit weird. Especially Kerbin, Eve, and Laythe.

Edited by Endraxial

Mountains seem a bit dark, too. Not sure what to do about it. :(

The dark mountains are a side effect of details from the normal map baked into the diffuse texture. Basically you are getting dynamic shadows on top of the baked in shadows.

Feel free to give this a whirl: http://www./download/o71p66ea8boeay8/kerbin_flat_diffuse_wip.zip

The diffuse texture is an edit of the 16K Kerbal Maps color composite and the normal map is a cleaned up version of the one found in Tingle's HD pack that eliminates compression artifacts on the shoreline. I have no idea where Tingle found the high res normal maps, hopefully he doesn't mind.

Before and after:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Excellent work! :cool: I'm especially a fan of the bolded.

Found a fix!

Edit lines 50 and 51 of UniverseReplacer.cfg (located at GameData\ UniverseReplacer\ Plugins\ PluginData\ UniverseReplacer):

Old:

rockymoon100 = Textures/Moons/Tylo/Tylo1

rockymoon101 = Textures/Moons/Tylo/Tylo2

New:

rockyMoon00 = Textures/Moons/Tylo/Tylo1

rockyMoon01 = Textures/Moons/Tylo/Tylo2

You might want to include the fixed .cfg in the texture pack, at least until Tingle updates it.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/666829240330695817/FADF4928B57EBDB945A9682F6197A6794D093AA1/

:confused:

Um... the fix isnt working...

Um... the fix isnt working...

Make sure Moon is capitalized, the file saved, and it's in the correct directory:

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UniverseReplacer\Plugins\PluginData\UniverseReplacer\UniverseReplacer.cfg

The change works for Texture Replacer as well. My pack's Tylo is named 'rockyMoon00.png'

http://i.imgur.com/EnKkfJ6.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/BZHKp

Pack planets and moons 8K - v0.1

What is the difference between default texture and 8K?

http://i.imgur.com/4NUWtit.jpg

All planets are in 8K (8192 pixels) except Eve and Mun. I would add in version 0.2 alpha chanel (oceans are prettiest ) for Kerbin, Eve, Laythe.

In this pack you have two version of Kerbin. With clouds and without

If you don't like a planet or moon just delete the png texture

Mega

Part 1 : OK

Part 2 : Ok

Extract the two files in GameData

Part 1 = Moon

Part 2 = Planets

Google Drive : (thank to ActuallyTheOtherGuy )

Download planet/moon you want

Link

Performance optimization

Basically

- Delete the planets or moons that you don't think they improve the graphism

- For example, keep Duna, Kerbin, Jool, Laythe and delete other if you want

- If you use texture without clouds, erase the one with clouds (just erase texture variants you don't use)

Big Thank to eRe4s3r for the clouds, to saik0 ( www.kerbalmaps.com ) for the maps and to Tingle for the mod

hey, i've downloaded both Part 1 and 2 with no problems with the first download, but when i install part 2 some of the planets are not rendering correctly and coming up with horizontal lines across the whole sphere, this is happening or kerbin and a couple of the other outer planets, ive tried installing it again but with no luck, anything you can recommend to get it working ?

Is there a fix for the orbit problems that from what I understand, is caused by UR? My ship is never on an orbit, some display bug. I only have KE, this, and city lights, so I assume this is it.

made a cool laythe texture, but when I put it in, everything was really dark and the lighting was wierd. it looked nothing like my texture. can someone help? what Do I put in Laythe1 or Laythe2?

Edited by fenderzilla

made a cool laythe texture, but when I put it in, everything was really dark and the lighting was wierd. it looked nothing like my texture. can someone help? what Do I put in Laythe1 or Laythe2?

Laythe1 is diffuse which is just the normal texture.

Laythe2 is the bump/normal map(not same normal as 1).

I don't use this mod anymore(I use to) but I use Texture Replacer. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well it is certainly more efficient at causing memory overflows and chewing up resources, I'll give it that.

*snerk*

You broke it then. It's doing wonders for saving RAM on my system, though admittedly I'm not swapping out any of the textures. I'm using it specifically to compress the existing textures with all the mod packs, and it's doing a fine job with that alone.

Use Texture Replacer, not only is it current, it's also more efficient, has less of an impact on your frame rate and more features.

I have a whole bunch of beautiful 4k planet textures from Universe Replacer. How would I get those custom textures to work in Texture Replacer? Do I just plop them in a directory and it just does it's thing?

I have a whole bunch of beautiful 4k planet textures from Universe Replacer. How would I get those custom textures to work in Texture Replacer? Do I just plop them in a directory and it just does it's thing?

Not exactly. Texture Replacer uses different naming schemes. Read OP here: Texture Replacer 0.20.1

@Citizen Joe: Tons of people are using that mod happily with much better performance than UR. If you're experiencing otherwise, it might be your installation.

Not exactly. Texture Replacer uses different naming schemes. Read OP here: Texture Replacer 0.20.1

@Citizen Joe: Tons of people are using that mod happily with much better performance than UR. If you're experiencing otherwise, it might be your installation.

Well on a serious note, I have 7mb worth of texture replacements for the kerbal EVA suits and a 30mb skybox, and loading them with UR takes comparatively little ( around 70-80 mb at most I think. Loading them with this mod takes my install from 2.6gb to 3.2gb. So just calling it like I see it. Any idea how that could be happening?

Edit: Also I did re-install the game and tested on vanilla and it still uses excessively more so IDK

eRe4s3r's Sunflare Mod

Thanks to mushroomman's superb Planet textures with clouds... we now have reached proper quality levels to do Space Engine style sun-flares, smooth and slick that is with a glow that is not trying to kill all your eyecells ;)

This is how the game looks after you completed the 6 steps of Geekness (And installed one of the great texture packs linked in the first post ;p)

http://i.imgur.com/6tsjlBe.jpg

And in case you forgot, this -> http://i.imgur.com/cgvtcb7.jpg is what you have to suffer through if you are on native sunflares

You can download the dds file for this sunflare replacement here as zipped archive (DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT EDITING ASSETS FILE MANUALLY) Read the step by step guide carefully.

#######################################

License

You can edit and hack and modify this new flare texture however you wish. I claim no license or copyright for it - it's free for all, and for everything.

Download

http://filesmelt.com/dl/eRe4s3rs_Sunflare.zip

Install instruction

Because of questions... STEP BY STEP , 6 steps, to be exact ;p

0) Make a copy of sharedassets10.assets and copy it somewhere safe. This is your backup.

1) Download UnityAssetsExplorer 1.2

Unity Assets Explorer

and unpack it to a location you can FIND AGAIN ** IMPORTANT ** ;P

2) Start UnityAssetsExplorer 1.2 find your sharedassets10.assets file somewhere there -> Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data or just Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data if you have normal KSP (not on steam)

3) hit "extract all" wait till "Done"

OR

3) You can also just extract the sun_flare.tex manually (be sure "convert to dds is checked) from the sharedassets10.assets file, you don't have to extract all, this is probably a good idea if you don't intent to close the tool while doing steps 4 and 5, and a lot faster) Since you can essentially do it in 1 go... but it requires you to actually find it, extract it, overwrite it with mine, and then "import" it back into the assets.

4) Download my little lensflare retexture http://filesmelt.com/dl/eRe4s3rs_Sunflare.zip and unpack it somewhere where you can find it

5) Place my sun_flare.tex.dds into the folder (named sharedassets10) that was created when you hit extract_all (or manual extracted the sun_flare.tex) and overwrite the sun_flare.tex.dds one that's in there.

6) Now Start UnityAssetsExplorer 1.2 find your sharedassets10.assets again. This time, you are looking for the file with the name sun_flare.tex | Hit "Sort" a few times until *.mat files are sorted on-top (because tex files are sorted right below them, so little scrolling is involved if you sort it right) you can also sort by name I guess, your choice..)

Now once you found it right click on it (Here screenshot to help you understand what I mean)

http://imgur.com/aOuNZQ0.jpg

once "Done" appears, hit save, and you succesfully modified a file you are not supposed to modify, congrats ;p

Now start KSP and everything should be working ;P

Thanks go to Tingle for bringing me on track as to how exactly to do this. This is one of the few textures the universe replacer can not actually replace and requires manual editing skills.

Can this be done with texture replacer instead of UR?