[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

I really hope Unity gets the ability to use more RAM etc. soon.

I want to use all these textures but I keep crashing after 15m or so :(

If I don't want to crash I pretty much should only use the sky texture and 1 planet? Or is even that too much, maybe just the sky by itself?

Ok, here is my try of doing the Sol system in the Kerbol system *WARNING: This textures are not good for landing at planets with water*

Note: I also gave Minmus a new texture, tell me if you like it :P

Download link: https://mega.co.nz/#!Fl40lIIA!WD6Kj3P6qLBLX-nR5oq9QlLIOuBcIQ97FPUQI-zuhKU

Instructions: Put it in Textures folder

Pictures: nSyqUNk.jpg

wgLUUKX.jpg

7zGuk6c.jpg

tn0lWPn.jpg

9BVs6BP.jpg

TaQevL8.jpg

JPyt4r4.jpg

QNeMDNj.jpg

Sources: "Celestia Motherlode"

"Monsters and Manuals"

Hope you like it, and if people will like it I'll put moon texures as well.

DL link is borked. Could you put a new one up in .zip?

Can you do something to the title that indicates that this addon is just to retexture stuff, not to add new celestial bodies? Like 'Universe Retexturer' or 'Universe Replacer [Add custom textures to KSP]' or something like that. This is the fifth time I've clicked on this thinking that it adds planets, and its a useful addon, but it is getting annoying to get my hopes up then crushed...

Kthxbai,

The Quiet Samurai

I would be for GUI first and GROUND textures later. Either way Tingle you shouldn't expect things to take off instantly.. It'll take time for more artists to ever even see this topic. Until just a few days ago native was totally dead-locked for modifications, and now for a bit more than a week we can suddenly replace stuff. Also that your first post has no before/after images does not help ;p And lot's of very important information and even some custom mods that just enhance are scattered in this topic. (The 1px kerbin2 method for example that basically is particularly useful for the matte 8k planet texture with clouds) there is no way to explain any of this stuff anywhere or for people browsing this topic to quickly find it.

Alas, drawing uniquely new stuff at these high resolutions takes time. All we did so far was take stuff that's there and adapt it... once more artists have projects to show, this topic is also a bit cluttered and eats posts too quickly.

There is also that until KSP supports 64bit these Texture packs are going to be eating into the amount of mods we can use. Especially new ground textures would be another thing that has a heavy impact on that...

Edited by eRe4s3r

Now, I've only read about 50 pages, so forgive me if somebody has brought this up:

I think it'd be wise if we'd all respect the work that Squad has done graphically. 'Respect' is not the same thing as 'like' or 'would never change it'. But perhaps some of us can cut down on the 'man, I'm glad I can take all the fugly out of my KSP!' mindsets.

The graphics-guys are not incompetent. Nor are they emotionless machines.

Maybe they love this development. Maybe they don't. Maybe they're ambivalent. Point is, don't forget them or belittle their work.

Edited by luchelibre

The 1px kerbin2 method for example that basically is particularly useful for the matte 8k planet texture with clouds

By the way, could you please post a before/after comparison with the matte Kerbin with clouds and this kerbin2 file?

There are people reporting more than 4 GB usage without crashes, and the next version of Unity (which I think will be used for the next KSP build) seems to fix the out of memory crashes, as I read in the Fustek thread, so we might hope using more good quality textures than we currently do. I have not yet reached the limits myself, but I only use on 8K celestial body currently.

Now, I've only read about 50 pages, so forgive me if somebody has brought this up:

I think it'd be wise if we'd all respect the work that Squad has done graphically. 'Respect' is not the same thing as 'like' or 'unchangeable'. But perhaps some of us can cut down on the 'man, I'm glad I can take all the fugly out of my KSP!' mindsets.

The graphics-guys are not incompetent. Nor are they emotionless machines.

Maybe they love this development. Maybe they don't. Maybe they're ambivalent. Point is, don't forget them or belittle their work.

The thing is that Squad's textures are beautiful as they are, for instance I don't notice any difference with 8k and the defulte textures. People just love the feeling when they have something "HD" even if you don't see the difference.

The thing is that Squad's textures are beautiful as they are, for instance I don't notice any difference with 8k and the defulte textures. People just love the feeling when they have something "HD" even if you don't see the difference.

Seriously? No difference at all? -.-

Can you read this?

mpxyWJu.jpg

i cant get and of the planet\moon texture packs to work i specifically want the mushroomman one but i probably am doing something wrong if someone could give me instructions that would be awesome.

No Difference? Is that a joke? The difference is visible even on the lower res 4:3 screen on my graphics work station. Either way, Squad has to cater to lap heaters .. which their users think should run games but really heating laps is all they are good for, and we do not. We can push the limits of current modern day technology, Squad can not (given they want to sell this, and we quite literally don't).

Native

wMgJuZIl.jpg

AncientGammoner's High Resolution Kerbin 8k Cloud Matte + Rareden Skybox

0nFlhG4l.jpg

AncientGammoner's High Resolution Kerbin 8k Cloud Matte + 1px Kerbin2 + Rareden Skybox

5exmemul.jpg

########################

The kerbin2 "hack" only applies for people using matte textures. ^^

Difference between 1px kerbin2 "hack" and without it can be especially seen in the upper left corner of the planet. Notice the mountain bump map being where clouds are. I like the smoother effect of having bumpmap disabled, since the planet texture already has shadows. This hack essentially smooths clouds

Anyway, We can do graphical stuff that Squad can't do for good reasons. And if someone does not see a difference I am doubting their eye-sight. I can see the difference even in the thumbnails.... and really.. the difference between default and 8k res planet textures is even more drastic had I zoomed in closer ;

Edited by eRe4s3r