[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

You're definitely on the right track, but I agree it needs to be a little bit dimmer. Imagine trying to find the single pixel of a distant planet against the brightest portions.

Lol finally a use for the Lazor vision modes!

I just realized this mod will allow us to create our own fictional constellations. Imagine what stories kerbals tell themselves about their stars.

For that matter, all the ultra-realism nerds can duplicate Earth's night sky!

Edit: so you've demonstrated you can change Kerbin's texture, as seen from orbit. Is it possible to add city lights only visible at night?

Edited by White Owl

I just realized this mod will allow us to create our own fictional constellations. Imagine what stories kerbals tell themselves about their stars.

For that matter, all the ultra-realism nerds can duplicate Earth's night sky!

Edit: so you've demonstrated you can change Kerbin's texture, as seen from orbit. Is it possible to add city lights only visible at night?

yup i would rather do something like this

eve_online_nebula___some_more_and_more_by_commanderalchemy-d4v0iga.png

Anybody know how you could make a tilted galactic plane in a skybox? It's always bugged me that there's no tilt to the galaxy. Something simple like 45 degrees would be fine.

you need a image like this then convert it to a cube map

tycho_cyl_glow.png

So, don't we need more than 1 image for the skybox to work? I mean - there is a bright version, and there are a few versions gradually dimming more and more, right? Or?

6 images for 6 sides of a cube

Must say, this is a very useful mod for those of us who want a higher fidelity skybox.

Looking at the source I have spotted a potential "improvement". You use UnitTest to get your code to start. There is a more idiomatic way - use the KSPAddon attribute on UniverseReplacer. That way you don't need UniverseReplacerLoader at all. There is information about it in a sticky on the addon development forum, if I remember correctly.

Okay I got this, it's a bit hard to figure out but with the help of this image (Feel free to use it yourself if you're having trouble cutting up your picture and getting it to work in-game) and a program named Cube The Sphere, and a little elbow grease, I found that if you rename the images Cube The Sphere creates like so (and convert them from bmp to jpg):

Top = PositiveY

Bottom = NegativeY (Then Rotate 180!)

Front = PositiveZ

Back = NegativeZ

Right = PositiveX

Left = NegativeX

Everything will look great in-game. Now to try a bunch of "real" skymaps to see which look the best :)

TestImage.jpg

I got the base part of this image from http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003500/a003572/, by the way :)

Edited by 5thHorseman

Must say, this is a very useful mod for those of us who want a higher fidelity skybox.

Looking at the source I have spotted a potential "improvement". You use UnitTest to get your code to start. There is a more idiomatic way - use the KSPAddon attribute on UniverseReplacer. That way you don't need UniverseReplacerLoader at all. There is information about it in a sticky on the addon development forum, if I remember correctly.

Thanks, I was wondering what else I could use - the approach I took annoyed my sense of tidiness. I did it like that because deadly reentry did.

Ok, updated the textures with Rareden new skybox and added a 4096p version. Also added a Temporary Development Information section so everyone knows whats up and planned.

Edited by Tingle

I like floating about in nebulas.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Excellent mod, oh and thanks to 5thHorseman for posting the link to Cube the Sphere.

re. 180 flipping if you follow the skybox reference that comes with the mod you'd think that the top edge of NegativeY would match seamlessly with the bottom edge of PositiveZ. If it does it looks wrong in the game. If you flip NegativeY 180 it matches seamlessly in the game but not in the reference diagram.

This is really nitpicky, but I'm noticing stuff about the 4096 skybox- a lot of things are misplaced. The Orion Nebula is off to the side, the Large and Small Magellanic clouds are nowhere near each other, Ursa Minor is entirely missing, Canis Major is in the wrong spot... the current version is fantastic for anyone who doesn't care that much, but for me it just doesn't quite cut it. Thanks for the mod though, because it's great.

Just replace the smaller texture with the bigger one.

Yeah, but there are like 6 files, 2048x2048 each, for each side of the skybox. I guess I have to use the pic in Rareden's post #71? It's 1920x1080 though...

Do i have to cut it and use CubeTheSphere?

Everyone seems to get how to make these skyboxes, I still don't get it. Would someone mind to make a step by step guide?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, but there are like 6 files, 2048x2048 each, for each side of the skybox. I guess I have to use the pic in Rareden's post #71? It's 1920x1080 though...

Do i have to cut it and use CubeTheSphere?

Everyone seems to get how to make these skyboxes, I still don't get it. Would someone mind to make a step by step guide?

Thanks in advance!

Um, there is a download on the first page: Universe Replacer v1.1 (4096p).7z