[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

Why is your starless sky box image directory an executable file that gets blocked by my virus protection? Wanna explain that, please?

Just downloaded it. It is not an executable. It contains 6 pngs in a zip file nothing more. When you open the link, before you hit download uncheck the box that says "Use our download manager and get recommended downloads", that download manager is being flagged by your antivirus not the zip folder.

Updated my post with some lighter versions.

Hi, I saw this mod, and I'm not really a mod guy. I like the vanilla game and I think adding parts is (kind of) cheating. Until I found texture mod.

I was looking exactly for this kind of thing, since the only thing I'd love to change are the textures. Saw these textures made by Sido, the french guy, but saw the link to it was dead...

So I searched a little on the web, and found the website where he found those textures, they're real planets textures. Then I thought "as I can't find it anywhere, I'll just have to do it myself." So I did.

I took a lot from what was already done, mixed it a little, changed the logo on EVA suits to put mine instead (Klakh Nasa logo ---> 33x33 pixel for those who wanna replace it).

I remodeled a lot of moons with some real planets textures, and I'm really happy of the result.

Here are the links, for the lazy :

8k pixels Pack (450Mo - Big)

4k pixels Pack (247Mo - Medium Big)

2k pixels Pack (82Mo - Medium Small, I would say best if you have lots of mods.)

1k pixels Pack (30Mo - Small)

INSTALLATION :

Just place the UniverseReplacer folder inside of GameData folder. The textures are already in. Just modify the .png if you want to change the textures. (if you don't want my logo ("Klakh Nasa") on the EVA suits, or the "Billy Nasa" logo for the 1k pack, just delete em, or change to some others with a photo editor (you can find a lot from other people here too : http://se.reddit.com/r/KSPTexturePacks). I've done 4096, 2048, and 1024k versions now. You might want to downgrade if you have a heavy load of modules (remember KSP ==> +4Go RAM = crash... For now.)

Oh and I've put in a screenshot of where you should click for the download (at the end of the imgur album)

The detail of what I've done would be long and I didn't note which planet I put where.

I can only say that I used the following planets pictures : Europa (Eeloo I think), Io (Pol), Tethys, Mimas (Tylo), Venus (Eve's atmosphere), Enceladus (Moho), Iapetus (used for Minmus), Mercury, The Moon (Mun), and Rhea.

So here are the screens. I put the two different login screens so you can see EVA suits and the Universe behind.

I really want to use this mod, even on a fresh stock KSP with this mod installed, without any textures added yet, I loose 10-20 FPS. It really doesn't make sense, its only a plugin that allows to replace textures and get a drop in performance without any textures add with this mod, perplexes me more. Maybe KSP 0.22 and 0.21 changed something and this mod might need to be updated.

I have a question, and I think I know the answer, but I don't want to chance it. Do these new textures for the planets change the surface structure at all? Probably not, but I want to make sure.

Also, do the packs that change the color of the water, like that gorgeous Eve one, actually change the color of the water on the surface?

Edited by Pyromaniacal

I have a question, and I think I know the answer, but I don't want to chance it. Do these new textures for the planets change the surface structure at all? Probably not, but I want to make sure.

Also, do the packs that change the color of the water, like that gorgeous Eve one, actually change the color of the water on the surface?

Nope, they only effect the textures when viewed from a distance. The surface textures fade gradually into view as you approach low altitude.

I give up up, there is like 400000000000000 links to texture packs, but they do not exist. so now i sit with a useless mod :'(

I feel that is the major problem with this mod: there is no central place to get textures and packs. That makes them hard to get and impossible to compare.

I give up up, there is like 400000000000000 links to texture packs, but they do not exist. so now i sit with a useless mod :'(

Are you sure? I went to this page, and found every texture pack that I am currently using. But I did not go through all 160+ pages of this thread and check every Bill, Jeb, and Bobs link.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KSPTexturePacks/

Hey all. I'm having a problem using this mod. My computer is capable of handling textures of 8k, I'm sure of this, but every time I attempt to load the game with this mod, it crashes I even downgraded the texture packs to a much lower resolution, but it still crashes and writes an error report to the KSP folder. Any suggestions?

Not to **** on this mod, because it's a fantastic mod, but I was astounded by the FPS boost I got by removing it. I'm talking I went from 8-11 FPS to 35-60FPS just by removing it. I never realized before how heavy it was since I've always used it.

Graphical mods are always going to hit framerates. There's a reason video games aren't photorealistic all the time.

I've got a pretty good machine so I can afford to run this an a modest set of textures without suffering too much framerate loss. However, it is a tradeoff I've decided to make because HOLY COW SO PRETTY.

UniverseReplacer really has some serious performance issues when replacing Kerbal textures. Try entering or exiting a capsule, or switching vehicles. FPS drops (actually freezes) for a half of second or so, especially if you have a lot of mods.

I've been looking into source code and found out it performs attempts to replace textures on those occasions. Nothing wrong so far, BUT it goes through all textures on a scene, performing lots of string comparisons during linear(!!!) search through texture replacement database. I think textures are also actually loaded in this loop if a replacement is to occur (I think the calls to GameDatabase.Instance.GetTexture() are the bottleneck).

So, I wrote a new plugin which loads all replacement textures in advance and uses a hashtable to map the replacement database. There is no more FPS drops, lags, freezing during vehicle switches or exiting/entering capsule. Here's the source code https://github.com/ducakar/TextureReplacer and ZIP archive with compiled plugin. For now, it only supports replacing Kerbal textures.

Really glad to see someone writing a new option for this. I noticed in 0.2 you added the ability for skybox textures -- are you planning to create your own thread for this plugin? Also, it looks like skybox textures will have to be in a different format than is used for Universe Replacer -- is that correct?