[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

I always thought that the performance impact was larger than it should be. Great that someone picked that up to write a better mod. If you have enough RAM, VRAM and a moderately decent GPU it should really not be a big deal to use uprated textures.

1. Yes, textures use different names than in UniverseReplacer, i.e. the same names used internally in KSP to avoid creating a mapping between different texture names and to keep the code simple. I think that is what you meant with "format". If you mean PNG/TGA/MBM, everything is supported, plugins don't load textures manually from disk, only upload to GPU those which are already loaded in RAM (at least I think it works that way). KSP loads all textures found in GameData into RAM at startup.

2. You can assign different IVA suits to the trio (kerbalMain is for Jeb, Bill and Bob, while kerbalMainGrey is for other Kerbals).

For now, I hope Tingle updates UniverseReplacer use a different way of loading textures. My plugin is well behind it in functionality, so no plans to "officialy" release it until is a viable alternative for UniverseReplacer.

BTW, v0.2 build.

Hi, I saw this mod, and I'm not really a mod guy. I like the vanilla game and I think adding parts is (kind of) cheating. Until I found texture mod.

I was looking exactly for this kind of thing, since the only thing I'd love to change are the textures. Saw these textures made by Sido, the french guy, but saw the link to it was dead...

So I searched a little on the web, and found the website where he found those textures, they're real planets textures. Then I thought "as I can't find it anywhere, I'll just have to do it myself." So I did.

I took a lot from what was already done, mixed it a little, changed the logo on EVA suits to put mine instead (Klakh Nasa logo ---> 33x33 pixel for those who wanna replace it).

I remodeled a lot of moons with some real planets textures, and I'm really happy of the result.

Here are the links, for the lazy :

8k pixels Pack (450Mo - Big)

4k pixels Pack (247Mo - Medium Big)

2k pixels Pack (82Mo - Medium Small, I would say best if you have lots of mods.)

1k pixels Pack (30Mo - Small)

INSTALLATION :

Just place the UniverseReplacer folder inside of GameData folder. The textures are already in. Just modify the .png if you want to change the textures. (if you don't want my logo ("Klakh Nasa") on the EVA suits, or the "Billy Nasa" logo for the 1k pack, just delete em, or change to some others with a photo editor (you can find a lot from other people here too : http://se.reddit.com/r/KSPTexturePacks). I've done 4096, 2048, and 1024k versions now. You might want to downgrade if you have a heavy load of modules (remember KSP ==> +4Go RAM = crash... For now.)

Oh and I've put in a screenshot of where you should click for the download (at the end of the imgur album)

The detail of what I've done would be long and I didn't note which planet I put where.

I can only say that I used the following planets pictures : Europa (Eeloo I think), Io (Pol), Tethys, Mimas (Tylo), Venus (Eve's atmosphere), Enceladus (Moho), Iapetus (used for Minmus), Mercury, The Moon (Mun), and Rhea.

So here are the screens. I put the two different login screens so you can see EVA suits and the Universe behind.

Am I doing something wrong Eve, Jool & Bop textures not working. Other mod that maybe affecting "clouds & city light's". I think Eve and Jool are most awesome in this, it would be really cool to get them working. :)

Also tryed sido's texture pack identical problems.

This is how my Eve, Jool & Bop look with both mods/

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by TUFOM

Am I doing something wrong Eve & Jool textures not workin. Other mod that maybe affecting "clouds & city light's". I think Eve and Jool are most awesome in this, it would be really cool to get them working. :)

Edit: Same problem with sido's texture pack. :/

The reason it doesn't work for Eve and Jool is because the clouds and cities mods projects another layer over the entire planet. That layer has the same purple/green color as the planet used to have so it obscures the UR texture. Either remove the cloud layers for Jool and Eve or adjust the cloud textures.

1. Yes, textures use different names than in UniverseReplacer, i.e. the same names used internally in KSP to avoid creating a mapping between different texture names and to keep the code simple. I think that is what you meant with "format". If you mean PNG/TGA/MBM, everything is supported, plugins don't load textures manually from disk, only upload to GPU those which are already loaded in RAM (at least I think it works that way). KSP loads all textures found in GameData into RAM at startup.

Thanks for the release, @shaw. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a skybox to load. I followed your instructions, named the textures the "GalaxyTex_NegativeX" in the \Gamedata\TextureReplacer\Textures folder etc, but I can't even see them load in the log. I see your plugin load, but it never calls the textures. I'm using the Linux x86_64 client and just to make sure, I recompiled your code on my machine just to make sure I had the latest from your github page, but I saw no difference.

Any advice?

2. You can assign different IVA suits to the trio (kerbalMain is for Jeb, Bill and Bob, while kerbalMainGrey is for other Kerbals).

For now, I hope Tingle updates UniverseReplacer use a different way of loading textures. My plugin is well behind it in functionality, so no plans to "officialy" release it until is a viable alternative for UniverseReplacer.

BTW, v0.2 build.

Thanks, shaw. I noticed some lag like you were talking about, a lot of it happening when I switch between vessels, so hopefully using your method can clean that up. I'll give it a proper test later on, but I did a quick check to migrate my skybox textures and with no problems. I was only using Universe Replacer for the skybox and if this gives better performance, no need to switch back.

You may be hoping Tingle updates his mod, but a little competition might go a long way, even if you don't intend to expand your scope.

Edited by Hyomoto

Thanks for the release, @shaw. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a skybox to load. I followed your instructions, named the textures the "GalaxyTex_NegativeX" in the \Gamedata\TextureReplacer\Textures folder etc, but I can't even see them load in the log. I see your plugin load, but it never calls the textures. I'm using the Linux x86_64 client and just to make sure, I recompiled your code on my machine just to make sure I had the latest from your github page, but I saw no difference.

Any advice?

@shaw: Pulled and tested your latest v0.3 build from github tonight and just wanted to let you know that it works perfectly. Using Rareden's skybox and AncientGammoner's high res Kerbin replacement, I saw no performance decrease at all.

Just wanted to say great job, and thanks. You're doing the people's work here.

Example shot

@shaw: Pulled and tested your latest v0.3 build from github tonight and just wanted to let you know that it works perfectly. Using Rareden's skybox and AncientGammoner's high res Kerbin replacement, I saw no performance decrease at all.

Just wanted to say great job, and thanks. You're doing the people's work here.

Example shot

Silly question, I know, but how did you get v0.3 working? Unless I'm being extremely dense and just missing something, the download just has .cs files; would I need to get hold of Visual Studio to compile that into a .dll, or what?

Silly question, I know, but how did you get v0.3 working? Unless I'm being extremely dense and just missing something, the download just has .cs files; would I need to get hold of Visual Studio to compile that into a .dll, or what?

I use Linux, so I compiled using gmcs. Copy the following dlls into the folder with your .cs scripts: Assembly-CSharp.dll, Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll, mscorlib.dll, System.Core.dll, System.dll, and UnityEngine.dll. These are all found in the /KSP_Data/Managed folder.

Then run: gmcs -r:Assembly-CSharp.dll,Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll,mscorlib.dll,System.Core.dll,System.dll,UnityEngine.dll -t:library -platform:anycpu TextureReplacer.cs -out:TextureReplacer.dll

I'm not a programmer myself, so I discovered this through trial and error. I'm sure some of these reference files are not needed, but it works for me.

Hopefully Shaw is going to release a pre-compiled v0.3 soon. Maybe even in his own release thread. :)

I created a thread for TextureReplacer: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60961-0-22-TextureReplacer-v0-3-%288-Dec%29.

@amo28: A more user-friendly way is to install MonoDevelop and open TextureReplacer.sln. You only need to fix paths to Assembly-C-Sharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll and press F7.

Edited by shaw
added link

Is there something being done about the random head and suit problem? I'd be happy to attribute faces and suits individually to my crew and applicants in the quicksave.sfs and persistent.sfs if there is a code to allow me to do it :)

I use Linux, so I compiled using gmcs. Copy the following dlls into the folder with your .cs scripts: Assembly-CSharp.dll, Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll, mscorlib.dll, System.Core.dll, System.dll, and UnityEngine.dll. These are all found in the /KSP_Data/Managed folder.

Then run: gmcs -r:Assembly-CSharp.dll,Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll,mscorlib.dll,System.Core.dll,System.dll,UnityEngine.dll -t:library -platform:anycpu TextureReplacer.cs -out:TextureReplacer.dll

I'm not a programmer myself, so I discovered this through trial and error. I'm sure some of these reference files are not needed, but it works for me.

Hopefully Shaw is going to release a pre-compiled v0.3 soon. Maybe even in his own release thread. :)

Thanks for the tip; I gave it a try (using csc instead of gmcs, since I'm on Windows) but for some reason it wasn't working. No need for it now that Shaw's released it, though :)

I created a thread for TextureReplacer: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60961-0-22-TextureReplacer-v0-3-%288-Dec%29.

@amo28: A more user-friendly way is to install MonoDevelop and open TextureReplacer.sln. You only need to fix paths to Assembly-C-Sharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll and press F7.

Thanks very much for this; as much as I love Universe Replacer, the framerate hit is just too much for my poor PC, this works a lot better for me

Sorry for the bump, but...

I love this mod, it's great. So I decided to create some heads for it.
Javascript is disabled. View full album

You can download the ZIP-File here

Hope, you like them. (Delete the ones, you don't want.)

What if one of the female heads get assigned to a male Kerbal, or vice versa?

I wish I could assign specific heads to specific Kerbals...