Climb the VAB with KAS

Hi everyone!

My challenge is really simple. The new VAB has a straight up to the top wall at the back of the building.

The task: Build a craft with KAS (grappling Hooks) to climb up all the way to the top. (need to get over the ledge onto the roof)

There is a link of the official KAS thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25563-0-20-KAS-v0-3-1-Kerbal-Attachment-System?highlight=kerbal+attachment+system

Rules: (these are not allowed)

No Engines

No Thrusters

No hack gravity

No Airships

No Ladders

No Decouplers

No infini gliders

Important:

Mods allowed - Infernal Robotics recommended but not required. Infernal Robotics HERE

For the first challenge: 1 screenshot or video required!

For the Second Challenge: 2 screenshot required. One before you start and one after you finished! (video also good if you have the starting and finishing time recorded)

The challenge will be rated two ways.

The best looking Climber Craft:

1st - Captain-Sierra Image: post #32 (Aim system)

2nd - Tw1 Image: post #21 (Also only used KAS with limited parts, 2 winches)

3rd - Darren9 Image: post #4

4th - Tobmaster Image:post #15 Appreciation for only used KAS mod

5th - KeithStone Image: post #13

The fastest climber! (the faster the winner): Best time so far 3:09

1st - Time: 3m 9s Tw1 Image: post #21 Also only used KAS.

2nd - Time: 6m 37s previous time: 13m 11s Tobmaster Image: post #20 Appreciation for only used KAS mod

3rd -

Note: If you not agree with the rating of the first challenge (the best looking climber) than rate for yourself and share with us your thoughts and comments.

Have fun everyone! :D

This is some of my work:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by greg12

I haven't tried a speed run yet. Do we need to get over the ledge onto the roof - that makes things a bit harder. I have one from a previous challenge that can get pretty much anywhere but it's not really made to do anything quickly.

817v.png

I like the climber rover you builded Darren9. I like how the Kerbal just sit at the end of the rover and also the bottom hook too.

Do we need to get over the ledge onto the roof

Yes you need to go on the roof to finish the challenge.

Keep posting images guys and have fun! :)

Edited by greg12

Sorry for being off topic but how do you shoot those anchors?

First of all you need the grappling hook not the anchors.

Second, you can bind any action key to eject the hooks in the editor.

might i suggest no decouplers as well? Though a difficult challenge, stacking decouplers and having them fire at the same time you eject a hook could in essence be used to make a grappling cannon that could fire from the launchpad and win the speed contest. I tried a test run and though I dont have the patience to get all of the angles just right it is definately possible. Just stack winches on top of eachother, set decouplers out to the side, and kaboom! Fired in series it has potential to be speed-breaking

Nice climber KeithStone! Interesting vehicle but if you haven`t got the image before you started than this can`t be take part in the speed challenge. (missing starting image) image required before you start end after you finished to see the full time between. Sorry. BUT don`t worry, it was a nice try and you win the second place of the best looking crafts. :)

tip: the other side of the VAB is easier to climb.

This was a complete pain! I spent too many hours to make a KAS only manned rover scale the VAB since I decided using robotics would be too easy. So I eventually made it... only took 13 minutes and 11 seconds... Spent countless attempts with MK1 and decided to revise the design in MK 2 just to fight the lip of the VAB.

Fun Challenge, thanks for posting.

This a actually a good idea. Since the ladders leading to the top are a bit bugged and can only be climbed down, not up.:P

I had to to a bit of weird jiggling and jumping on the topmost ladders, but I have gotten a Kerbal to climb from the base of the VAB all the way to the Helipads.

This was a complete pain! I spent too many hours to make a KAS only manned rover scale the VAB since I decided using robotics would be too easy. So I eventually made it... only took 13 minutes and 11 seconds... Spent countless attempts with MK1 and decided to revise the design in MK 2 just to fight the lip of the VAB.

Fun Challenge, thanks for posting.

Made MK3 of my grappler rover to increase climbing efficiency - 6:37 on the clock. Celebrated the good speed with a Kerbal bungee jump off the VAB - added screenshots to my previous submission's gallery Just a tad up the page

Edited by Tobmaster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.