The complete(ish) history of rockets! Recreating the entire space race in KSP!

Mulbin

I read up to this point, so I understand how feel the urges to recreate all the human space race in KSP (I tried that, with light part mods up to Ksp 0.19, ending the effort when, from 0.20 onwards, most of the mods I used to keep low part count goes esponentially worst because same updated mods are RAM eaters and my poor laptop is ddying... :P)

... but back on track: if you wanna more infos on space mission, two sites may be helpful:

http://space.skyrocket.de/directories/chronology.htm - "Gunter's Space Page", chronological list for every year, from 1957 (Sputnik 1 and after), good for a first look at rockets and payloads, before single extendend research launch by launch to find better photos.

http://www.astronautix.com/chrono/index.htm - "Encyclopedia Astronautica - Chronological Index"; not only launches, but a complete (almost) list of EVERY space related events, including a LOT of data about EVERY launch or event related. (Generally I check Gunter's site, first, for a general list, and check Encyclopedia Astronautica for detailed data such orbit incliantion, time of launches and so on...)

Cross-checking both helped me for those "partial-failures" or MEMORABLE failures that does not achieved the expected mission goal, but also are pretty known. In a VERY couple of cases one flight may be reported only on one of those (... some Saturn's launches in eraly development, using the first Saturn I, maybe missing in Gunter's but have a record on Ecyclopedia)

I'm not a "clipping part builder capable" like you... I like more easy design and mods just to help my poor pc to not die, but definitely, if I could have a decent computer soon or after I'd like to try your creations...

(I tried a Gemini of yours, but I endend in a "slide show", 1/2 frame x HOUR ç_ç... not your fault, but my poor pc... ç_ç)

EDIT 1: ... I have also a selected list, year by year, in txt format, done during cross checking from both sites, up to 1966 but really sure only up to 1961, that I used DURING play (memory issues if using both KSP and a browser, always due my poooooooooooor PC...) PM me if you wanna a copy ;). Only issue on my personal notes is about (like you, here) is to avoid multiple, simila, launches with same or similar hardware (Example: I launched a couple of Thor or Atlas with Agena carrying the various USA Discoverer/Corona/MIDAS/Keyhole spy sats, just for depict the Agena development in every stages, but NOT the whole numbers of launches, because they were SO MUCH that deserved probably a whole save to avoid an orbit clusters unplayable :P)

EDIT 2: ... In exchange You just could teach me about "advanced clipping engineering": I tried to do something like you, but, even activating part-clipping in VAB, I cannot manage Your AWESOME techniques ç_ç I'm so envy :P

EDIT 3: ... my english is poor... but I have an explanation: I'm not english. Salute from ITALIA ^_^

Thanks! There's some really useful information on those links!

Can't wait for Yuri Gagarin! I hope it will be a video similar to the sputnik one.

Awesome thread, and just amazing builds and work! We all love it, and we hope to see more! You're awesome!

Thanks! Been away so had a bit of a break.... Luna rocket launch later tonight!

Date - September 23 1958

Craft - Luna 8K72

Payload - Luna E-1 #1

Launch Site - ???

Mission - Munar Impact

Outcome - Rocket Failure

Mission Notes

The first 3 stage R7 rocket. The first luna probe was intended to impact on the lunar surface. Disintegrated after 92 Seconds.

hsfx.jpg

l9p1.jpg

Date - October 11 1958

Craft - Thor DM-18 Able-1

Payload - Pioneer 1

Launch Site - KSC

Mission - Munar Orbit

Outcome - Partial Rocket Failure

Mission Notes

Although Pioneer 1 failed to reach the moon due to an early engine cut-off, valuable data was still gathered on the radiation belts between the Earth and the Moon. This was the furthest a satellite had ever been from earth.

0yf4.jpg

3azx.jpg

6ugd.jpg

k82k.jpg

ymhp.jpg

Date - December 18 1958

Craft - Atlas B

Payload - SCORE

Launch Site - KSC

Mission - Low Kerbin Orbit

Outcome - Success

Mission Notes

The first communications satellite. The entire body of an Atlas rocket was used as the satellite itself.

qsma.jpg

lwmx.jpg

e0vb.jpg

Annual summary - 1958

Launches KSA

Manned Launches - 0

Satellite Launches (successful) - 5

Satellite Launches (Partial) - 0

Satellite Launches (Failed) - 18

Launches KSSR

Manned Launches - 0

Satellite Launches (successful) - 1

Satellite Launches (Partial) - 0

Satellite Launches (Failed) - 4

Achievements

First communication satellite - KSA

Orbital Map at Close of Year

9tmd.jpg

Date - January 2 1959

Craft - Luna 8K72

Payload - Mechta (Luna 1/E1-4)

Launch Site - ???

Mission - Munar Impact

Outcome - Partial Failure

Mission Notes

Due to an early engine cut off Mechta missed the moon by around 5000km. As a result it became the first man made object to escape Earth orbit and become locked into an orbit around the Sun... Mechta now spends eternity orbiting between Earth and Mars.

bpjm.jpg

ow68.jpg

w4w2.jpg

92nz.jpg

9hmc.jpg

xnzn.jpg

Date - February 17 1959

Craft - Vanguard

Payload - Vanguard 2

Launch Site - KSC

Mission - Medium Kerbin Orbit

Outcome - Partial Failure

Mission Notes

The second successful orbital launch of a vanguard satellite, the mission was partially successful although only limited data was retrieved due to the orientation of the satellite.

olr7.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.