What Would KSP Be Like In 3 Years?

Apollo1391

We'll have n-body physics, "real" atmospheric simulations (minuscule drag extends far beyond 70,000 m and reentry), asteroids, space junk, and more parts and skins.

A few more planets/moons and/or multiple solar systems to choose from when playing. More training, career mode, co-op/online play, and resources. I think the biggest thing will be the spawning of a separate version that has n-body physics, much more accurate atmospheres/reentry, the works, while you can get the current "complexity" version if your computer isn't that strong.

Please explain the 'Minecraft effect' to me...

As all games get popular, idiots start coming in. With idiots, come horrible ideas that should never be added to the game (read: warfare, I don't care how awesome Kerbals at War 2 looks, do not add warfare.) Squad is forced to either please the idiots and have them drive away what's left of the mature community or keep the mature audience happy and have the idiots continually bombard them. In other words, get lots of revenue from an immature community or get a small amount of revenue from a mature community. Most video games take the first option for the sake of business, but even if Squad follows that route, there will be piracy of older versions for the mature community to play.

Well, at least that's what I'm referring to as the Minecraft effect. He seems to have the same idea in his head, but you can never know.

Edited by Bigcheecho

I'm interested in learning just how many games have suffered from the minecraft effect. AFAIK it is just minecraft, and even then it is dubious just how much was down to so called idiot requests.

As all games get popular, idiots start coming in. With idiots, come horrible ideas that should never be added to the game (read: warfare, I don't care how awesome Kerbals at War 2 looks, do not add warfare.) Squad is forced to either please the idiots and have them drive away what's left of the mature community or keep the mature audience happy and have the idiots continually bombard them. In other words, get lots of revenue from an immature community or get a small amount of revenue from a mature community. Most video games take the first option for the sake of business, but even if Squad follows that route, there will be piracy of older versions for the mature community to play.

Well, at least that's what I'm referring to as the Minecraft effect. He seems to have the same idea in his head, but you can never know.

Well I think the minecraft effect is going to be hard to start with on ksp because it seems that the game is made for matur audiences with all the scientific gameplay

Somehow, i doubt a typical 14 y.o. griefer would have the determination and patience to learn how to get to space - just for the sake of trolling. How do you even troll someone in a single player game? As for warfare...sitting and fiddling with orbits just to get two ships close enough so you could exchange fire? If someone has the skills and patience to put two half-decent "warships" into space and set everything up for simulated battle...well, then he's a heck of a player.

1 Year: Main game complete. Beta testing begins. A few months later, 1.0 is released.

3 Years: KSP is in about the same popularity range as Call of Duty. However, trolls are rather rare, due to their lack of patience.

5 Years: As humanity draws closer to a Mars landing, KSP surpasses several major triple-a titles in popularity. At this point, computer technology has advanced enough as finally solve the "M-word" problem.

10 Years: All good things must come to an end. Unfortunately, technology has advanced so far that the code KSP runs on is obsolete, rendering it a nostalgia game. Many have fond memories of it. Squad is now on the level of EA and Blizzard (though they keep their indie spirit), and is working on a possible sequel to KSP that will make use of new tech. The circle of life moves on. Will KSP be remembered as fondly as the original Super Mario Bros? Only time knows...

Long live Kerbal Space Program!

Somehow, i doubt a typical 14 y.o. griefer would have the determination and patience to learn how to get to space - just for the sake of trolling. How do you even troll someone in a single player game? As for warfare...sitting and fiddling with orbits just to get two ships close enough so you could exchange fire? If someone has the skills and patience to put two half-decent "warships" into space and set everything up for simulated battle...well, then he's a heck of a player.

How about visit all the planets with Jeb and don't EVA once. Then crash him into the VAB in a pinpoint reentry, killing him. THAT would be trolling. Especially if you record a series on it.

How about visit all the planets with Jeb and don't EVA once. Then crash him into the VAB in a pinpoint reentry, killing him. THAT would be trolling. Especially if you record a series on it.

Well all the comments he would get at the last episode from the veterans is:

1. :(

2. :(

3. :(

And so on...

Well I think the minecraft effect is going to be hard to start with on ksp because it seems that the game is made for matur audiences with all the scientific gameplay

If "those people" > real players, then the tides will be turned. KSP would be a game where/that has...:

-A stock autopilot

-Explosions are encouraged than exploration

-An Achievements System you'll be inclined to complete

-Working nukes, missiles, and guns

-A multiplayer even though it was not meant to have it

-Craftable kerbal weaponry

-Aliens inhabiting each moon and planets

-Moddable/ 1:1 Scale planets

-Stock FTL drives

-Some Star Trek stuffs

-Summonable Jebediah

-Other things to do just to glorify Jeb

-A mission where you must make Jebediah scared

-A Statue of Jebediah Kerman somewhere out there

-Dancing Kerbals

-Some more stuff suggested by the "community" that is not in-line with the real essence of the game

...to please the new batch of "people" and keep the game's popularity momentum from falling off. In short, it won't be hard to start with, actually...

10 years from now KSP will become so popular that it ends up being the national past time of every country on Earth. All wars stop because people don't want to spend too long away from Jeb. Squad become the richest company ever to exist. Their wealth makes them a philanthropic force for good. World hunger is a distant memory as the people of the world unite to ensure nobody goes without KSP.

Then sometime on June 21st 2023, the Evil Galactic Xortan Hegemony attempts to invade the solar system. The attack fails when they come up against the 3rd planet from the sun whose 7 billion inhabitants are fully adept in orbital mechanics. Earthlings effortlessly defeat the invaders with skilled use of Hohnmann transfers, apoapsises and utter disregard for lagrangian points.

Humanity assumes control and brings peace and prosparity to the galaxy. Squad devs are elected supreme chancellors of the known universe and a bright future is had by all until the heat death of the universe.

I... I...

Get on it, Harv.

KSP in 3 years?

Finished game, updated/more parts, correct aerodynamics, mining, weather, better graphics, larger/better complexes for launches, completed career mode, and hopefully some optimization for lower-end/64-bit computers.

That's about it of what I can come up with, considering what's planned.

With the way its going... we'll be up to maybe .23 in 3 years... this game was released in the summer of 2011 and we only got handfull of parts to work with. :/ 2 years so far and very little has been added.

Someone is actually working on other plants/star systems.

The Kerbal universe revolves around a black hole instead of Kerbol. And the entire galaxy is filled with user created star systems and planets. Sadly, a lot of those planets are troll faced or otherwise meme inspired.

we only got handfull of parts to work with. :/ 2 years so far and very little has been added.

Are you on crack? We have nearly 200 parts and MILLIONS of square kilometers of sandbox space. I would like to see you make a stable craft that didn't explode use at least one of each part. Also based on your join date you haven't been here long. You probably came in .19 with the wave of people complaining about the dev style they wanted.

Are you on crack? We have nearly 200 parts and MILLIONS of square kilometers of sandbox space. I would like to see you make a stable craft that didn't explode use at least one of each part. Also based on your join date you haven't been here long. You probably came in .19 with the wave of people complaining about the dev style they wanted.

Whoa, chill. He might be new, but that's not a problem. Some people make the most famous mods on their first posts. Assuming he is new, playing the game in .13 was VERY different to the game now, so If you've only played it for a few months then you wont know what it was like.

BUUUT, 'Tripzter' we now have over 200 parts to work with. 2 years ago we had 20. Thats 10 times more, not to mention docking, numerous graphics touchups, PLANETS, rover wheels, planes, a new space centre, would you like me to go on?

And you hated on Unity man. How could you!

1 year they will break free of unity and have it running on their own engine.

2 years end of beta ready for release

3 years multiplayer is released with multiple solar systems

4 years a whole galaxy will be playable

5 years players can colonise planets/terraform

The only thing holding KSP back at the moment is unity engine. Yes it can do lots of things but its still not built from the ground up to launch crazy rockets with lots of parts.

Career mode could ruin it to

Optimism is great!!!!!!!!!

1 The circle of life moves on. Will KSP be remembered as fondly as the original Super Mario Bros? Only time knows...

Long live Kerbal Space Program!

I think for some, KSP will be as fondly remembered as og SMB.

I think for some, KSP will be as fondly remembered as og SMB.

That, is all I need.

And anyone saying the game will be full of trolls - Not going to happen. Trolls have no knowledge. For this game, you need some. They make a rocket, it won't' work, they'll rage and go cry for mommy.

Also, how do you troll in a single player simulator?

Edited by swiftgates24

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.