[Partly solved] Another Newbie with a collision mesh problem!

The problem I'm having is not like the one in the other thread, so, new thread.

I have been modelling an engine part, which after some pitfalls is now available inside KSP at the right scale and with its full texture. YAY!

But... it's intangible. In the VAB, once I place the part, I can't pick it up again. In flight when the part becomes separated from the rest of the craft (through either structural failure or deliberate decoupling) it moves THROUGH other parts like a ghost. It's also highly prone to structural linkage failures, so much so that it can't apply full thrust without separating (and quickly flying through its fuel tank).

I'm using the collision mesh created by Unity at import.

Hypotheses?

SOLUTION:

1. In the configuration file, make sure to define breakingForce and breakingTorque.

2. In Unity, on the collision mesh, tick "is trigger".

2a. Also might help to avoid deprecated part names such as "node_collider".

Edited by Kerbolar
Not as solved as I thought

Did you make sure your entire craft had a collision mesh enabled? In unity, to show that something has a mesh,

it uses a color code. This color coding consists of green "Wires" surrounding your engine.

Also, just to make sure, are you using a .dae mesh around your engine?

If you are, KSP no longer uses .dae files, making anything using those files useless.

Did you make sure your entire craft had a collision mesh enabled? In unity, to show that something has a mesh,

it uses a color code. This color coding consists of green "Wires" surrounding your engine.

I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here. Is there a way that I can display collision meshes while running KSP? When modelling the part in Unity I have the green wires on the collision mesh.

Also, just to make sure, are you using a .dae mesh around your engine?

If you are, KSP no longer uses .dae files, making anything using those files useless.

Nope, using a .mu created with the .20 part tools in Unity.

try

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

This didn't fix the problem, but thanks for the suggestion.

UPDATE: I've changed some parameters in the config and the part no longer falls off at the drop of a hat. But it's still intangible :\

I've applied the part tools propcollider (if I remember rightly) to node_collider, is that right?

SECOND UPDATE: It's working. I renamed various things in Unity and also ticked "is trigger" on the collision mesh. I'm not certain which of these things did the trick, but hey, it's all good!

Thanks all for your input.

Edited by Kerbolar
Solved.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I know what is wrong.

First off i don't know how you import it using Unity, so i can't help there.

but I made a part using blender. and made a separate simpler, slightly smaller model overlapping my design before exporting, called "node_collider"

it loaded fine (apart from texture issues i am having)

if it helps this is the tutorial i used.

P.S. you don't happen to be able to help me do you? my problem

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.