Electric propellers

071031-tw-mars-plane-02.jpg

This is originally meant to be a suggestion thread, but I wanted to have a discussion about it as well.

Now keep in mind I'm aware of Firespitter's mod pack that has propellers, but I've felt installing it to be slightly tedious, as it's textures don't exactly match up with the stock parts, and secondly adds a lot of parts to the part list (cluttering the list) just so that we can have access to an electric propeller part.

Currently, we only have 3 planets other than Kerbin that has an atmosphere where we can play in. This is Duna, Laythe and Jool. Between these plants, only Kerbin and Laythe provides an interesting opportunity to explore large parts of the planet because of how we are able to use high ISP jet engines to fly around. Understandably Duna (and it's Mars counterpart) lacks a combustible atmosphere to allow for this, so we are pretty much limited to a small area around the initial landing site (depending on how patient you are to drive even a tenth of the way around the planet).

This at least to me, makes Duna a far less interesting place to explore because you can visit so few places in a single trip. Ion engines are an interesting idea for a solar glider for Duna, but seems to limit your potential solutions for exploration to one path only. This often means that unless you are extra fiddly with the construction of this thing, it will fly very slow, use massive amounts of wing surfaces (which is unwieldy to get into orbit from Kerbin), and most likely won't hold a Kerbal.

I don't know if electric propellers are already a planned feature, but in case they are not, there are a lot of very good reasons to have them included into the game. For one thing it is a technology that is simple and has been available to us for the better part of a century. It also has real world applications, going as far as NASA suggesting an electric powered propeller/glider for Mars. Another thing would be that it gives an alternative atmospheric engine to the jet engine, it only needs electricity to function, but is ultimately non-functional in space. It also gives another use for electricity as a resource apart from ion engine usage and being needed to keep probe cores alive.

Anywho, I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this, even if the idea of electric propellers had been suggested before.

I think they have been suggested before but I really like the idea of having a couple of sized propellers. Personally, although I think that the devs aren't keen to explore the oceans, the idea of using a propeller opens up the opportunity to build ships, which again means exploring Laythe and Kerbin is much more exciting, and it even provides the ability to set up harvesting on Eve.

I'm all for it.

I'm definitely fond of electric propellers. I would suggest that if they're going to be added, "solar wings" be added in the same update--basically, a wing part that's also a static solar panel, so you don't have to plaster your wings with awkward-looking static panels.

They also have a tail rotor and coptor set for Electric Lift.

I can see someone making a quadCopter.....

You also don't have to install the whole parts set from Firespitter, just go thru and delete the parts you don't want to use.

I'm definitely fond of electric propellers. I would suggest that if they're going to be added, "solar wings" be added in the same update--basically, a wing part that's also a static solar panel, so you don't have to plaster your wings with awkward-looking static panels.

I was considering probe-sized propellers, and I don't think they will consume as much electricity as an ion engine. url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=2pTEdPqIiglvYM&tbnid=BjNy3urY7tNx5M:&ved=0CAUQjBwwADiKAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdefense-update.com%2Fwp%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F06%2Fnetra.jpg&ei=a9__UZaaFIfOrQfYlIGACA&psig=AFQjCNFogbrpJxVM4d6MB5-wKStndByzCg&ust=1375809771445325

Small drones in real life are able to function for quite an extended period of time with their on board batteries, and while I don't expect them to be powerful enough to haul a pack of a dozen RTGs, I'd hope that they would be able to propel a small aircraft quite a distance.

As for the bigger ones, I would welcome an addition to those as well. 052912newshubgmtseg1_512x288.jpg

I was also secretly wanting to make this if a bigger one was introduced: hover2.jpg

I have so much trouble laying panels on wings that I've given up and stick to coating fuselages wall-to-wall with 'em. Solar wings would be great if accompanied by electric propellers/ducted-fans/whatever.

-- Steve

I don't like using mods for things like engines, they usually feel "cheaty" to me.

I agree, though I got the Firespitter electric propellers because they're the only option available. Let me tell you: those things drain electricity as such an awful rate, it's not cheating at all. :P

It will be nice to have an electric propeller.

We cant use turbine engine at eve, but we could use electric, and how is closer to the sun it will be perfect for that.

But if we get that, I would like to see more balance with the solar cells.

We need the square rule by sun distance/atmosphere density and it will be nice a better aerodinamic system. The multiple winglet bug removes all my desire to fly.

• 8 months later...

what would you call it's ''thrust''.You can't really call it thrust since it has one thing unique that no other type of motor/Engine in the game has.It doesn't push Crafts(I know there are such planes with propellers on the back).It was more mean't to drag/lift.Is there a way to measure it or is there already a Word to measure ''pushing/lifting power''?

Fortunatelt, they are easy to mod.

I took the old .18 basic jet engine (it is slightly different, I think it is just the texture), and made it into a "ducted electric fan"

These stats feel "balanced" to me (note, I had to add "atmosphere" intakes and an atmosphere resource):

mass = 0.4

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 7

maxTemp = 3600

MODULE

{

name = ModuleEngines

thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform

exhaustDamage = True

ignitionThreshold = 0.1

minThrust = 0

maxThrust = 30

heatProduction = 50

useEngineResponseTime = True

engineAccelerationSpeed = 0.5

engineDecelerationSpeed = 0.75

useVelocityCurve = True

fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.74

PROPELLANT

{

name = ElectricCharge

ratio = 45

DrawGauge = True

}

PROPELLANT

{

name = IntakeAtmosphere

ratio = 1

}

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 1000

key = 0.3 1800

key = 1 2000

}

velocityCurve

{

key = 275 0 0 0

key = 250 0.3 0 0

key = 175 0.7 0 0

key = 0 1 0 0

}

}

It really struggles to fly in Duna's thin atmosphere, but it can, it actually seems to work better on Eve. It consumers quite a bit of power, especially when the ISP starts to drop at high altitudes (or anywhere on duna)

Electrical propellers would give the game huge scope - they could be used for hovercraft, planes, boats, and crazy recreational things like a kerbal launcher. I'm sure people like Danny2462 and Whackjob could come up with some "alternative" uses for them, too. These parts would also add a new element to VTOL's. I, personally, would like to see them implemented.

• 3 months later...

I would like to +1 this one too :)

I thought of this before, but now that they boosted ion engines, i need it again! Maybe with propellers i can get high enough to start using the ion, so i can make a plane that gets into orbit with only electricity and ion engines! :D That would be the best challenge ever!

Plus, yeah. On Eve, it would be awesome. If i'm not mistaken, it would be very effective in the thick atmosphere.

Yeah, nasa doesnt use this idea YET (if i'm right), but this would really open up space for creativity, it is a realistic solution, and this is a game, after all!

There was an old concept for a solar powered Mars plane over or near a decade ago (I remember seeing some CGI of it on the discovery channel), concepts of Titan aerial craft using electric power have also been floating around.

I think it is safe to say we'll get them one day. It was even mentioned once, I don't remember by whom from Squad (though possibly C7 who is no longer with squad), that they would be one of those "nice to have/add, but not right now" parts. They'd be great if Eve or Duna got Biomes. Or if we got a low-g high pressure Titan-analogue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.