Ion Engine!

Wavenarra

People clamored, people demanded. They said 'I want an ion thruster/ion engine/plasma rocket/1965 Chevy*!'

So, here you go. A badly textured rockin' Ion Engine.

Download it here.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/ionengine.rar

FwTLa.png

The Ion Engine only becomes effective at around 30km - 50km altitude, anything lower and it cannot overcome the pull of Kearth's gravity.

*1965 Chevy not included.

EDIT: A couple of people complained that it had too high thrust, and simply wasn't realistic. I tried to explain that in the interest of fun, it may not be such a great idea to make an engine that takes several hours to accelerate you to a decent speed, but they persisted.

So here ya go, a realistic!(ish) Ion Thruster. http://filesmelt.com/dl/ionengine1.rar

This has EXTREMELY low thrust. I suggest you activate it about 100 - 200km+ away from Kearth.

Works like a charm in outer space. Don't know why anyone requested one since there is noting to travel to yet. I haven't tried it as an orbital stabiliser but i think it will be to weak to manage, especially a reentry burn.

I must say that it looks so fantastik, I will be using it on some of my rockets just for looks.

It could also use a different fuel tank, it just doesn't mach up vanilla one i my opinion.

If you really want to travel forever I recommend paring it with XLfuelTank.

2mrSQ.jpg

I'm still waiting for that 1965 Chevy

So, I am assuming from the picture that the ion engine can draw fuel from a tank stacked above it within the same stage? Handy!

And a '65 Chevy? Nah, what Jeb needs is a '69 Dodge Charger--his very own General Lee!

Oh my gods it's a visually distinct single liquid-type rocket booster

Have you even tried it? >_>

Also, pretty much every addon at this stage seems to be some kind of engine.

Also, not sure if sarcastic.

I have a feeling he meant this positively, all of the other liquid fuel engines look exactly alike. So, good on you. ;)

I have tried it! I love it. Modified it a bit - 35 thrust for 1 unit of consumption. Great maneuvering stage.

Totally not sarcasting. I want more liquid fueled boosters that are visually distinct, so I can make an eventual proper Saturn V C5 design or something like that. Need higher thrust first stage... a Big-Ass 1m wide liquid thruster would be a great single engine for my first stages.

Works like a charm in outer space. Don't know why anyone requested one since there is noting to travel to yet. I haven't tried it as an orbital stabiliser but i think it will be to weak to manage, especially a reentry burn.

I must say that it looks so fantastik, I will be using it on some of my rockets just for looks.

It could also use a different fuel tank, it just doesn't mach up vanilla one i my opinion.

2mrSQ.jpg

I'm still waiting for that 1965 Chevy

Finally, my dreams of piloting a ship that can both travel to the farthest reaches of space and give Galactus a prostate massage have been realized!

This thing is insane as a final stage! Just got it up to a few hundred K before lighting it and it ended up at 4400 K and 8458 m/s before the final decouple.(with 1 fuel tank)

I'll try to get it up there with more tanks, or maybe two stages or double engines.

EDIT: Just made 12863 m/s and 10800K before the final decouple with two fuel tanks. Also, I'm now at 12861.7 m/s and not decelerating anymore. :D

So, I downloaded the base version of your ion thruster (50 thrust units per 1 fuel consumption unit) and talked with cjameshuff a bit regarding how efficient it should really be. At 1 fuel consumption unit, he thinks that 30-35 thrust units is a good scaling (for a vacuum-optimised engine with a different bell shape) when compared to the baseline liquid thruster.

I'm currently operating it at 32 thrust units per 1 fuel consumption, and I'm in a 925km near-circle with about 70% fuel remaining in the top tank.

This is exactly what I wanted for a top stage. Thank you so much. (Now, to await a large first stage engine...)

This version seems to be a little too powerful, might try it again with a nerfed version. I wonder if I can make it to the sun with this...

nHZdeu.png

How much fuel does that tank have? To get up to that speed you must have been burning the engine for a while. :P

I deem a Twin Ion Engine worthy of creation. Possibly increasing thrust to capabilities of near Kearth orbit maneuverability, while balancing that with subjective fuel efficiency decrease. Oh dear, I do believe this may be the start of a Star Wars Mod. No matter I'm fine with the possibility, and dare I say, support it. Heck, I may even make the Twin Ion Engine myself. Possibly even a Triple, or Tetrad Ion Engine.

Edit Wavenarra may I use your model as a placeholder?

I deem a Twin Ion Engine worthy of creation. Possibly increasing thrust to capabilities of near Kearth orbit maneuverability, while balancing that with subjective fuel efficiency decrease. Oh dear, I do believe this may be the start of a Star Wars Mod. No matter I'm fine with the possibility, and dare I say, support it. Heck, I may even make the Twin Ion Engine myself. Possibly even a Triple, or Tetrad Ion Engine.

Absolutely, feel free.

VASIMR mod

Absolutely, feel free.

I started working on it before you gave me the go ahead but I figured if you said no I would just not post it and get a replacement dae. I'm contemplating how the balance scale should fall so to speak. Should it be more lofted towards accuracy to Star Wars or to maintaining the challenge of the game.

XL fuel tank is part of a different creator's set.

I've actually run into a problem where I reached >650 kilometers and the (nerfed) ion engine couldn't keep the craft lifted. I've since decided that, while falling towards the surface, I'll try for some angular momentum and see if I can't sling-shot my way around Kearth. (Only remaining components are a parachute, the command capsule, a ring seperator, the standard LF tank, and the nerfed ion engine.) I'm already up to 1.1km/s but I don't know how fast I'm actually falling. (Any chance for readouts on that?)

EDIT: Failed, despite engaging at 650km (just as momentum from prior stages was running out). Maybe I'll try again but have the ion engine engaged even after

Perhaps you should have the ion engine engaged constantly starting as soon as you are out of the atmosphere? (Or as soon as the stage below it runs out of fuel, if that happens above the atmosphere already) Then you would have the maximum amount of ion engine thrust time, building your horizontal momentum all the way up as well as back down.