Am I too paranoid?

potoes6

I refuse getting mods that add any part to KSP because I know the game is going to update and if the mod was discontinued or not updated for a while I couldn't use my save with all my save data? Am I too paranoid or should I still not use any pat changing mods?

Thanks For Reading

-Potoes

It really depends on how attached you are to your craft and persistence files. If you're not, and you realize this is alpha software and may have to rebuild from scratch at a moment's notice, then load up all the parts mods you want. If you are attached to your creations, it is probably best to stick with stock or with mods that don't add too many parts and that are easily updated.

You might also want to check the mod's history. While modding can be pretty chaotic (you're not only on the game developer's schedule, but also the modder's!), there are some very reliable authors who fix things immediately after a new version. Such mods are best for those who feel they are "paranoid".

Well, part mods don't break as easily as plugin mods(though a lot of mods come with plugins nowadays).

But overall, I'd say go for the gusto. Just don't get attached to your save files. Think of each big update as a reason to start fresh and come up with some new designs and goals.

At the same time, not downloading mods isn't a terrible idea either. Do whatever brings you joy, man :o

But overall, I'd say go for the gusto. Just don't get attached to your save files. Think of each big update as a reason to start fresh and come up with some new designs and goals.

This. As development rolls along, things will break, whether they be stock parts, features, or mods. Everything we're doing now is just practice for KSP 1.0. The point is to have fun. You paid for the license, enjoy the game how you want. :)

This. As development rolls along, things will break, whether they be stock parts, features, or mods.

This is something you need to get used to when dealing with alpha software. It's inevitable that new releases will completely change how some things work. Most authors will update their mods pretty quickly(sometimes in a few hours) when a new version of KSP comes out. So for now, i'll just say have fun and:

download_all_the_things.jpg

Honestly, I haven't seen anything in this alpha that would cause such attachment from me. So what if my saves break next version? It's not like I haven't destroyed plenty of things myself in-game. Oops, just a smidge too much gas while trying to dock. There goes another space station.

There is no guarantee that your saves, .craft files, and persistence files will be functional anyway. There have been a number of updates that have broken compatibility and I would imagine there will be more to come. With that in mind, what you really need to ask yourself is do you feel like you are missing out on anything? I used to be a hardcore vanilla player. No mods, zero, none. I did all my delta-v maps with paper and pencil. Then I got carried away with designs and began changing them so regularly I got tired of counting and adding parts, so I started using the original kerbal engineer mod to do my delta-v calculations. Some time later, long before rovers or docking, I started looking for things to actually do when landed on the Mun or Minmus. Various parts mods, the kethane pack, and mapsat gave me plenty to do. Now its a regular thing for me to download these mods as soon as they are updated.

Every time a new KSP version is released it's about time for me to delete my persistence anyway. I mean really, when you have several hundred rockets floating around it starts getting crowded up there.

I start over every time, it's quite possible a pure stock game won't be compatible across versions anyway. That way I get to try out new part kits too, given you can't load everything up at once anyway. Go ahead & try stuff out, and consider it disposable.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, part mods don't break as easily as plugin mods(though a lot of mods come with plugins nowadays). But overall, I'd say go for the gusto. Just don't get attached to your save files. Think of each big update as a reason to start fresh and come up with some new designs and goals. At the same time, not downloading mods isn't a terrible idea either. Do whatever brings you joy, man :o
i have come to the mindset of redesigning and launching a new fleet with every patch. Refreshes the game to be honest. I was running out of stuff to do...

Usually the parts remain compatible through versions, usually the plugins break, making the parts useless anyway. So if you update and find that someone has abandoned their mod, you can usually add the part temporarily so you can load the vessel in the game and remove them. You could also replace them in the .craft and .sfs files with a text editor if you know what you're doing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.