0.21 Performance

Did you see an increase, decrease, or no change in performance with the 0.21 upgrade?  

1. 1. Did you see an increase, decrease, or no change in performance with the 0.21 upgrade?

• Increase
    • Decrease
    • No Change

I have noticed a substantial performance increase with 0.21 vs. 0.20 . I have seen other comments stating that this is not the case for them. I would bet this is good to know for the developers if the majority of the users saw an increase or decrease in performance. I believe they were expecting an increase.

well sadly in my case was a decrease, 0.20 runned perfectly fine, no lag, never crashes and i could put a lot of mods, now in 0.21 my game crashes at random times or when enetering another body SOI and i have a bit longer loading times but luckily i still have no lag

Depends upon how you define performance; some stuff like physics warp works better for me, but I do see a lot more stutter in the audio and the loading times (for my near-vanilla installation, just Alarm Clock and ol' Boom-Boom installed) much longer.

-- Steve

Depends upon how you define performance; some stuff like physics warp works better for me, but I do see a lot more stutter in the audio and the loading times (for my near-vanilla installation, just Alarm Clock and ol' Boom-Boom installed) much longer.

-- Steve

Good question, I could have been more specific. My intended question had to do more with overall in-flight performance, and NOT LOAD TIMES etc. Even for me, my load times between buildings are noticeably faster by about a 10-20% margin. And before the 21.1 patch came out (while on 21.0), load times were very fast relatively.

FYI, everyone, I am still using an old Core2 duo XP machine with a GeForce 260, running native resolution on a 23" monitor, 4x AA, and most everything on high quality. My new i7 machine should be here any day now :cool:

Edited by roosterr

A poll like this needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Perceptions of performance can differ greatly from what actual numbers would say, not to mention that a performance change could alter the likelihood that someone would participate in the poll (e.g., my framerate decreased and I have a bone to pick about it, vs. my framerate increased and I'm playing the game rather than browsing the forum).

I sometimes appear to have had a minor decrease, but it's hard to say if it's just my computer (maybe other programs are using more resources than normal or something) or if it's ksp itself. Most of the time it's not really noticable but sometimes when I play rockets that otherwise would have been fine seems to slow the game down to yellow-time (although not by much). Again I can't tell for sure yet that it's definitely the game rather than something else.

On my notebook - infamous long loading problem and major drop of FPS (everything worked smooth in 0.20)

On my gaming PC - also infamous long loading issue but when in comes to FPS game is smoother than in 0.20

And in both cases I have strange problem with performance in VAB/SPH - generally editor screens work smooth in beautiful 60 frames per second but when I look down directly onto the floor (or zoom out camera so far that I can see most of VAB/SPH floor). Boom! Sudden ridiculous FPS drop (from 60 to below 25...).

.20 for me was buggy, crashed constantly, and the physics was so bad I stopped playing the game because most everything feel apart on the launch pad. In .21 the performance problems nearly disappeared. Unfortunately, when transferring from one orbit to another the screen totally stops for several seconds then goes back to responding. Another issue is a framerate lock at 60. I have 120hz monitor and vsync (disabled or not) set to 120 always locks it at 60 in this version (.21).

Specs:

i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz

GTX680

16GB 2133mhz RAM

Samsung 840PRO SSD, etc. etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.