Two stage to orbit

kitty

This is my first post and can't send a picture. I built a fully reusable two stage to orbit rocket. Just wondering if anyone else has.

I will send a picture latter once I get home and figure out how to post a picture on the forum

welcome to the forums! to post an image use F2 in game and F1 to hide/show the interface. When you've got your image upload it to imgur.com and then use the built in linkgoeshere tages to show it once you have your picture uploaded! you may also consider putting up more details and the craft file too!

Thanks Crusha! so here we are The DH1

J3VUncK.jpg

it's not much. This is first polished design which I tried to make as small and simple as possible. I'm Pulling a lot of Wisdom from the Rocket Company

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rocket-Company-Library-Flight/dp/1563476967

It has actually almost no cargo capacity since it only has 5-600 delta V for the second stage by touch down. However it has a small and regular docking port and carries one crew member. The bottom half does take 7 tons with change to a height of 120km with breathing room which would make it good from probe launches.

The whole thing is completely reusable, but with no extra safety features which has killed a few of my kerbals along the way in testing. I also need to create a infrastructure for refueling at KSC.

actually in testing my DH2 I found that a low altitude "kicker" engine like the Rockomax series makes the whole DTSO (sounds cooler) more efficient by giving the high efficiency low thrust engine much less to push with a already high velocity to work off. So I might revise this little thing to carry more.

Yay! I need to go to bed but yes Dual stage to Orbit (DTSO) I wanted to do reusable rockets because that seems to be the most realistic solution with spacex actually showing a real ship that might possibly do what the space shuttle could not.

Either way I got this little beauty done.

J3VUncK.jpg

called the DH3 since the DH2 was rather.... unsuccessful as a rocket. you can see the two hitchhiker containers as dummy loads which gives this 5 tons carrying capacity. However I will say that is it's absolute limit

this was the first stage landing

yv5cmLs.png

no safety features like parachutes so if I had burned even a second longer this thing would have been dead. I think I will put a small bit more fuel in the "kicker" mainsail rocket. However both lower and upper stage returned to Kerbin safely. I think I can call this little bit a success.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.