Put Scott Manley on Wikipedia - A Community Project

Bigcheecho

So overrated that the comment I made was actually deleted by a moderator. I enjoy Scotts videos but in no way do I place him on any pedestal higher than you or I and this entire thread I find ludicrous.

I can assure you, it was not deleted because we disagree with it. It was, as I said in my post before, removed because it bordered on outright offensive due to its wording. Whether or not we agree with the general notion is an entirely different topic.

Once your current suspension ends, you may well contact one of us to talk this through - discussing it in public is a no-no, though.

FEichinger

Edited by FEichinger

Anyone can be on wikipedia, so why not. I believe the rules state that it is not allowed to write an article about yourself, though, but in theory, you and a friend could add an article about each other. Be factual, though.

You're not overrated Scott ;) and thanks for the helpful vids.

I don't know . . . I find it somehow incongruous that this schmuck: Marvin Heemeyer, who is notable only for having done something incredibly insane, stupid, destructive and pathetic 'deserves' to have a Wikipedia page, but an intelligent, creative, helpful and influential Astronogamer like Scott "doesn't" deserve a Wiki page?

Whether you love him or hate him (or his fans) Scott is very well known, so I think the "every gamer Youtuber" argument doesn't hold water. Maybe Scott's notability is still somehow slightly below the threshold for inclusion, but he is on the right trajectory I'd say.

Edited by Diche Bach

Why does Scott Manley deserve to be on Wikipedia? What contributions other than video game help has he made?

A rhetorical questions I'm sure but, it does irk me that people think I just play games.

I've had a few scientific papers published, I'm credited in a few documentaries on asteroids and provided technical advice and/or art to several books including 2 NY Times bestsellers (Skies Of Pern being the most famous). In 1997 I created the first open source mp3 radio software and ran a station for a year (before Shoutcast was ever developed), later I contributed to Icecast, OGG/Vorbis and LAME and a bunch of other less well known projects, odds are, if you've played a game in the last decade then it's got tiny bits of my code in it. Worked at a number of jobs including Napster (back when they were a P2P company), right now I help build the biggest searchable index of twitter (300Billion documents). Ran a weekly EDM show that was syndicated to dozens of radio stations. My first serious video on youtube was this

- a visualization of asteroid discovery rates over 3 decades, this has been featured in hundreds of TV shows, movies, and adapted to dedicated exhibits at museums around the world.

And TVTropes lists me as having an 'Awesome McCoolname' :)

However, I'm sure everyone has these stories, tiny claims to fame while I try to make my life sound interesting these were all just things I did because I thought they were cool at the time and I have fond memories of. I've done a bunch of really small things, the KSP infamy has just been a recent thing, I just happened to be an early player of KSP and realise that none of the players had a clue about orbital mechanics, so my degrees gave me a step up.

Not saying I qualify for anything, in fact I'm not even arguing that I want to be on wikipedia (beyond the references in other articles), but I just don't want people thinking that I'm some guy who spends all day playing games and trying to be a youtube star, my day job is fascinating and vastly more profitable than youtube could ever be.

Edited by illectro

A rhetorical questions I'm sure but, it does irk me that people think I just play games.

I've had a few scientific papers published, I'm credited in a few documentaries on asteroids and provided technical advice and/or art to several books including 2 NY Times bestsellers (Skies Of Pern being the most famous). In 1997 I created the first open source mp3 radio software and ran a station for a year (before Shoutcast was ever developed), later I contributed to Icecast, OGG/Vorbis and LAME and a bunch of other less well known projects, odds are, if you've played a game in the last decade then it's got tiny bits of my code in it. Worked at a number of jobs including Napster (back when they were a P2P company), right now I help build the biggest searchable index of twitter (300Billion documents). Ran a weekly EDM show that was syndicated to dozens of radio stations. My first serious video on youtube was this

- a visualization of asteroid discovery rates over 3 decades, this has been featured in hundreds of TV shows, movies, and adapted to dedicated exhibits at museums around the world.

And TVTropes lists me as having an 'Awesome McCoolname' :)

However, I'm sure everyone has these stories, tiny claims to fame while I try to make my life sound interesting these were all just things I did because I thought they were cool at the time and I have fond memories of. I've done a bunch of really small things, the KSP infamy has just been a recent thing, I just happened to be an early player of KSP and realise that none of the players had a clue about orbital mechanics, so my degrees gave me a step up.

Not saying I qualify for anything, in fact I'm not even arguing that I want to be on wikipedia (beyond the references in other articles), but I just don't want people thinking that I'm some guy who spends all day playing games and trying to be a youtube star, my day job is fascinating and vastly more profitable than youtube could ever be.

wow scott you are one cool, smart, and awesome man

I'd love to know Mr. Manley, Is your, "Awesome McCoolname", actually your real name....you know, being Scottish and very manly with rockets and all, it seems too big of a coincidence to my sceptical mind?

please say yes....please say yes...please say yes....

But you joined 2 months after me.

Seriously, you're not the only person that thinks I'm overrated, I, happen to think that I'm somewhat overrated, but people keep telling me otherwise and I do my best to live up to their expectations.

Scott Manley: Not only awesome, but humble too!

On-topic: Squad? Noteworthy. Kerbal Space Program? Noteworthy. A person who is somewhat famous on Youtube? According to Wikipedia's guidelines, not noteworthy.

However, he DOES have an article on TV Tropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LetsPlay/ScottManley

I'd love to know Mr. Manley, Is your, "Awesome McCoolname", actually your real name....you know, being Scottish and very manly with rockets and all, it seems too big of a coincidence to my sceptical mind?

please say yes....please say yes...please say yes....

Scott Manley is indeed my real name, I am utterly terrible at branding and can't come up with cool names like 'Nerdcubed' or 'Insane Rockets Division' - which is why I used my real name when I started narrating.

I envy that you live in San Francisco and have a "vastly profitable" job

Well it's only vastly profitable compared to what I can make from youtube :)

Also you have to keep in mind that living here is very expensive.

But seriously, if you want a good job don't just play games, don't put tons of effort into being a youtube celebrity (no money in that), learn to code, write mods, build cool stuff, playing the game doesn't teach you much in the way of useful skills, but learning to code will.

Regardless of the rest, providing technical advice for "Skies of Pern" is cool! On topic, my first thought was 'why not include Scott in the KSP wikipedia page'?, so I'd agree with Sodra's comment.

Id just buy you a drink for your Name, Scott :D

@rest: i dont think it is a matter of "deserving" a entry in Wikipedia or not...if you can post Scotts come-along in a encyclopedia-style, not "fanboy" way it wont be deleted i guess.

• 10 months later...

Well it's only vastly profitable compared to what I can make from youtube :)

Also you have to keep in mind that living here is very expensive.

But seriously, if you want a good job don't just play games, don't put tons of effort into being a youtube celebrity (no money in that), learn to code, write mods, build cool stuff, playing the game doesn't teach you much in the way of useful skills, but learning to code will.

Scott-

I like how you're super humble and yet SO awesome at the same time.

Does this mean that the (more than likely unsuccessful) game I'm coding as a cool middle-school summer project kinda thing will help me get a job in the future if I become a programmer? Also, what programming language do you use?

please be Python please be Python

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.