Science Instruments and the Tech Tree

I think the recently announced tech tree for .22 is a pretty cool idea. It also has the potential to make the various scientific instruments far more valuable for actual gameplay.

The idea is simple. Set minor objectives within the research and development GUI that can be completed with the science instruments. For example, "Take an atmosphereic reading of Duna." If the objective is completed, you should unlock a free part, or have however much credit applied to whatever is currently being researched.

Adding more science objects would go a long way here. I know some kind of apparatus for soil samples is often asked for.

Good news everyone mustang!

instead, i think the most authentic mechanic would be for nodes to require a 'science' rating, which you earn through experimentation (flying) and gathering data (packing science gear aboard possibly). This system opens up a lot of very cool possibilies for later, which will give a lot of meaning to what you can do out there on your missions, even before we have an actual game economy or contracts.

EDIT: What happened to all the capitals?

This idea is good, but don't you think people will get bored by analyzing soil and other little things? I'm sure the devs will figure out a way to make this feature more entertaining. Maybe a mission to build a mega space station and do science experiments aboard would be interesting.

This idea is good, but don't you think people will get bored by analyzing soil and other little things? I'm sure the devs will figure out a way to make this feature more entertaining. Maybe a mission to build a mega space station and do science experiments aboard would be interesting.

This might be one of the kerbal skills the developers have talked about in the past. Train someone to be a scientist, put them on a mun and have them do certain tasks on their own. I'm not sure what extent they'd implement automated tasks like that, but I get the feeling they'd be kinda simplified. Like the kerbonauts can do the job, but if you did it it'd be a lot faster and better or something like that.

Then again, they might have something completely different in mind by now. I guess we'll just have to wait and see~

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.