I play KSP missions vanilla, "not because they are easy, but because they are hard"

Gus

The only way to play KSP nude is with the "cat kneading lap" mod installed. Otherwise you're just cheating yourself.

You should try combining that with "significant other shining laser pointer at your thighs" plugin to get the true kneading effect.

edit:

For example, transferring to another planet without mods.

I totally made transfers to Duna and Eve before the various mods came out to give you phase angles. I still have a real protractor in my house and I had the phase angle generator. Is it particularly fun? Not so much. It still didn't stop me from stranding a lander on Duna the night it was added to the public game which was incredibly satisfying. Mods make it much more convenient, not necessarily easier, but much more convenient.

Yes I installed Engineer_Redux to get phase angles for said convenience. However, if it broke I could still reach the other planets and moons.

Short version...yea...I agree with you to a point. I don't play with any mods most of the time though. They do need to add a flight statistic display to the map screen....

Edited by air805ronin

What if the OP just wanted to use the JFK quote ?:P

Thanks for all of your replies, and the other things.

Yes, it occurred to me that I could use this quote in this context and perhaps get some useful feedback. I did. I hope you did too. Thanks again.

P.S. Looks like I need FAR, Ironcross, DeadlyReEntry and RemoteTech. :)

Edited by Gus

I play pure stock, but I have also used mods in the past. Both are fun in their own way. I'm not sure why so many people feel like their own personal accomplishments are somehow diminished or threatened by people using mods like MechJeb. It's a single player game and everyone should be able to play it whichever way they see fit -- in fact, I would argue that gloating about how awesome you are just because you use all stock hurts your cause more than helps it :)

I think Mods shouldn't all be group into one category. There's mods that add depth or mechanics to the game that we haven't implemented just yet, or that don't fall within the scope of the game, and sure, there's mods that add engines ten times as strong as the Mainsail that consume a tenth of the fuel, but they shouldn't be judged in broad strokes.

When I look at a mod, I look for something that will broaden or deepen my play experience and overall make the game more fun for me. Personally, I like the current ruleset of the stock game, but I like a little more precision in my designs, so I have Kerbal engineer installed and keep the phase angle calculator on Monitor 3 for interplanetary missions. That doesn't make my play experience superior to your own or anyone's, long as you're having the best time possible, no issue with running stock or having a KSP installation that is 12 gigs larger than the base just from all the things you've added.

To harp on an earlier point though, I thoroughly encourage every player to dive in head first into the base game and see what the game is about before adding things to it. See for yourself what you love about KSP and mod around that. Enhance your experience, but give the one we're working on a shot first!

I happily use plugins, but avoid mods with parts (except mechjeb)that way I can exchange my ships with others and never have a part conflict. I may start an install and mod the crap out of it but it takes to long to load when I do it. I like my fast load times.

I think there was only one really nasty one about my ego and self justification.

Yeah, that was mine. It was not very friendly. I am sorry.

While my opinion may not apply to you, I stand by it. That being said, there are more precise and less inflammatory ways to gain the feedback you sought. Remember, its the internet. People do not know you, nor can they judge your implied intent when you post something ambiguous on a decisive topic. Then again, I think you knew that when you posted.

Take care and have fun.

I use mechjeb to take off (which is so damnably boring but still needs attention), and to fly boring missions that I already have done (e.g. getting fuel all the way out to Eeloo or something like that...). It is also useful for it's ability to plot maneuver nodes, fly half hour long burns so you don't need to sit there and correct when the ASAS wanders off course, its information windows, its ability to prevent engine overheats, or flameouts, and balance RCS. All this, and the game still feels stock, and there's nothing it can do that I couldn't also potentially do, so unlike other mods (which I fully respect) this to me does not feel like cheating.

I also use hyperedit, never to go places outright, because that straight up is cheating, but to test things (e.g. is this Pol Hovering Exploration Chair to heavy, is the RCS balanced etc... before then taking it, sticking it to a rocket and actually flying to Pol and then exploring), and to restore things that go missing (e.g. my Jool and Ike satellites and my Gilly station, which all vanished into thin air mysteriously: getting them there took hours I am not willing to spend twice if I don't have to.

I am also looking at getting chatterer (background radio chatter and other noises), because that's just harmless immersion, and the mod that replaces the skybox with a detailed real-life image of the night sky (same reason).

For added difficulty I only play KSP nude. Sometimes I install the mod "cat walking on keyboard" to really make it a challenge.

Okay, who's going to add the "Bareass Device" to the mission ribbon generators? I'm thinking a little (( symbol at the extreme edge.

I am also looking at getting chatterer (background radio chatter and other noises), because that's just harmless immersion, and the mod that replaces the skybox with a detailed real-life image of the night sky (same reason).

Don't even bother "looking" at Chatterer, just get it. It is the only mod that everyone should have. Universe Replacer is a very nice mod as well, I use it with the Dreamscape textures.

Don't even bother "looking" at Chatterer, just get it. It is the only mod that everyone should have. Universe Replacer is a very nice mod as well, I use it with the Dreamscape textures.

Yes, Chatterer adds atmosphere to space.

Also, I read about Universe Replacer a few days ago but forgot it's name and couldn't find it searching "skybox". This mod changes the starfield background to other, perhaps better, images of space. Or if you want, with some extra work, you can create your own with, say, kittens filling the cosmic background. Good stuff.

I agree, I play Vanilla because I feel many mods and additional parts just don't fit in with the game. I understand Mech Jeb is necessary to do some really tricky things, but the whole point of the game is to provide a challenge, so if something was meant to be difficult if not impossible, then so be it.

Okay, who's going to add the "Bareass Device" to the mission ribbon generators? I'm thinking a little (( symbol at the extreme edge.

BRB; just got an idea for a "Moon the Mun" challenge, and I want to see if it's workable before I post it.

Vanilla is nice, but I prefer strawberry/kiwi or orange/mango.

I'm more of a chocolate guy, myself.

I think Mods shouldn't all be group into one category. There's mods that add depth or mechanics to the game that we haven't implemented just yet, or that don't fall within the scope of the game, and sure, there's mods that add engines ten times as strong as the Mainsail that consume a tenth of the fuel, but they shouldn't be judged in broad strokes.

When I look at a mod, I look for something that will broaden or deepen my play experience and overall make the game more fun for me. Personally, I like the current ruleset of the stock game, but I like a little more precision in my designs, so I have Kerbal engineer installed and keep the phase angle calculator on Monitor 3 for interplanetary missions. That doesn't make my play experience superior to your own or anyone's, long as you're having the best time possible, no issue with running stock or having a KSP installation that is 12 gigs larger than the base just from all the things you've added.

To harp on an earlier point though, I thoroughly encourage every player to dive in head first into the base game and see what the game is about before adding things to it. See for yourself what you love about KSP and mod around that. Enhance your experience, but give the one we're working on a shot first!

Pretty much agreed with everything said here.

Wow thanks for introducing that mod Ive been looking for something like this since I started playing the game. The current skybox isn't too good, but I downloaded the realistic skybox and its an actual star map of the sky it looks amazing. I do agree this is something everyone should have whether you like mods or not.

EDIT ...Wait wait wait there are planet textures too?! W>T>F Where has this been?!!

3pRcn8Gh.jpg

...that's gotta be too good to be true

Edited by Motokid600

lol @ your mentality.

modding doesnt make the game easier nor it makes it harder

it makes the game more fun and opens up infinite possibility

do you know how LoL and Dota 2 came into the market and LoL has become the biggest game in the industry?

it all started as a custom map in warcraft3.

mods are there to make the game goes a longer journey

do you realize Warcraft3 is still on shelf?

it's been more than 10 years

and if you think mods are for cheaters or people who cant play stock because they are bad... you should open your mind.

Well simply put, I prefer my games with as little artificial difficulty as possible, and with as much depth, style, and pure fun as possible. Right now, this simply isn't possible without mods for me. The creative freedom and optimization that mods give me make it impossible for me to play vanilla in its current state. I will take my 75-part shuttle over a 700-part stock craft any day. There's more I could say, but TLDR, mods keep me sane until Squad can do what ONLY Squad can do, which is move the game forward.

Yeah, of course mods add tons of possibilities and fun to the game, but also keep in mind some mods are overpowered. This overpowered engines soon become the best option and this makes the game easier.

I personally dont use mods till a new version is about to come out, this way I use the game vanilla, and then add mods, when the new version is out, clean install :)

I use KAS, Crew Mainfest & Procedural Fairings to add the minor things missing from vanilla KSP that I personally want to use. Other than that I'm stock as I want the challenge and fun of the vanilla game without something like MechJeb doing everything for me. I want to work out my own interplanetary transfers so when it goes wrong I'll go back to the drawing board and fix it and when it goes right I can feel some pride in the fact I've accomplished something on my own merit. I do understand and respect the choice of people who want to play KSP with mods coming out of it's ears, I'm just not one of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.