Space station and base building step-by-step tutorials?

Hello everyone.

I need some help about building space stations and bases.I saw tutorials with "modules" but I have no idea what modules are.Because I saw a guy who just put a fuel tank and said "It's a kerbals house"

EDIT:

Didn't understand all the things you wrote guys,but thanks! I've finally figured out how to build a space station ^^

Here is a picture of it.It also was supposed to have solar panels with fuel tanks at the other sides (except food modules).(It is just missing a solar panel now.Oh,it's missing everything.I killed all the "orange crew guys" so had to start a new game.)

Thank you all!

bWWGCQG.jpg

Edited by JiWint
Got answer

Yeah....just like Duckman said.....youtube.

It's the absolute best way to learn (other than trial and error).

If you want to get used to parts, watching people build is the best way to go.

it would be very hard for someone to write a tutorial just based on the vastness of possibilities.

Space stations need to be built in a modular way because they usually are too big to launch in a single launch. So you need to think of all the things your space station needs, and then figure out how to get it up there.

For me, a basic space station needs the following modules: hab (living quarters), utility (batteries, solar panels, instruments), docking (docking ports for other ships), and fuel (fuel tank & engine).

Launch the utility module with a Sr. docking port on each end. Use maybe one of the large fuel tanks for the body of it. Then, once it's in orbit with solar panels deployed, go back and build your docking module. Launch that, rendezvous and dock with the utility module. Go back to the VAB and build your fuel module. This should be just an engine underneath a fuel tank with a Sr. docking port on top. Then, launch it using your favorite booster, and rendezvous and dock with the station.

Finally, build your hab - a capsule and a hitchhiker pod with some fuel, RCS, batteries, etc. Launch and dock with the station. Voila.

For a basic stock space station, I use the Command Cupola on top, a Hitchhiker can underneath it.

Put some RCS tanks and thrusters on the Hitchhiker can.

On the bottom of the Hitchhiker, put the six-way connector.

On two sides of the connector, add the long girder and put the Gigantor solar arrays and some battery packs on it.

On the other two sides, add the structural connector (the white tube thing) with Clamp O Tron docking ports on the end.

On the bottom of the connector, add another Clamp O Tron.

Your lifter will need a Clamp O Tron on top of it, connected to the bottom port on the connector. Put a decoupler in between them, You will need to add struts to hold the docking ports together, hence the need for the decoupler to snap the struts and separate things.

Add some struts to support it ... struts are important to keep it from wobbling all over. Don't forget to strut the docking ports, they are very weak and need the support.

The whole thing is fairly light and not too hard to get into orbit, and it's not that hard to get it to the Mun or Minmus, either.

The two side docking ports are for docking ships. The bottom docking port is for adding more modules to the station. Maximum occupancy is 5 Kerbals, although I limit it to 4 since a Hitchhiker only supports 4 Kerbals.

The next module you send up could be a fuel tank, more RCS tanks, whatever you want to add. It's your station.

For added complexity, get the Ioncross life support mod to add oxygen use.

Space stations and bases are really open to interpretation. Both can be either one piece, or made up of modular sections connected via docking ports. Again, Youtube is a great place to start, but let your imagination roam, or, if you really want to, recreate actual space stations. Just today I got Salyut 1 in orbit and docked a craft to it. The only thing with space stations is to have at least one docking port, so that other crafts or expansions can be attached. And for those modules...other than solar panels, there isn't much need for them except for creativity. A science module is not needed, but add one just for kicks :D do what ever you feel like.

Thank you everyone :P I've currently started building my station ^^

I'll surely check youtube,and Scott Manley helped me alot too!

Oh,thank you Supernovy for moving,I wasn't sure where I should post this :P

I start off by considering what sort of components I will want my station to have, fuel, habitat, comms etc.,as well as how many of each. I then build a basic framework structure with docking ports which will form the basis of my station.

KSP18.jpg

Once this is in orbit, it's then just a relatively straight forward matter of sending up the parts to dock with the basic structure to build the station up.

KSP19.jpg

Note: I am somewhat a newb, even after playing Ksp for one and a half year (first time I landed on the Mün was a month after I started playing Ksp).

I usually launch a central hub with the most neccesary equipment such as a habmodule, rtg's, batteries etc. Then I launch and attach power generation and longrangecoms.

For the record, I believe I built this particular station in .18.

You might notice that I've put the station in a very LKO and that's because I was experimenting with viewing distances, trying to see the VAB and comstation from space as I was falling by.

4mCcnh.jpg

Edited by UtterN

• 2 weeks later...
Note: I am somewhat a newb, even after playing Ksp for one and a half year (first time I landed on the Mün was a month after I started playing Ksp).

I usually launch a central hub with the most neccesary equipment such as a habmodule, rtg's, batteries etc. Then I launch and attach power generation and longrangecoms.

For the record I think I built this particular station in .18 I believe.

You might notice that I've put the station in a very LKO because I was experimenting with viewing distances, trying to see the VAB and comstation from space as I was falling by.

4mCcnh.jpg

Oh my dayum O_O

You know there's a simple fix for dead Kerbals in your persistence file, right?

Mulching is a process of inbred fertilization which employs certain decomposed organic materials-- including, but not limited to animal sediment-- to blanket an area in which vegetation is desired. The procedure enriches the soil for stimulated plant development while, at the same time, preventing erosion and decreasing the evaporation of moisture from the ground.

I start off by considering what sort of components I will want my station to have, fuel, habitat, comms etc.,as well as how many of each. I then build a basic framework structure with docking ports which will form the basis of my station.

Once this is in orbit, it's then just a relatively straight forward matter of sending up the parts to dock with the basic structure to build the station up.

That's a great looking Comm tower over there. I think I should throw in some girder-based objects to make it look more...stationy.

Right now, I'm using B9's S2 fuselages.

I suggest going into the flight hangar and building out a template of what you want to build in space. This will let you play around in advance with layouts, break it apart freely to determine docking links, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.