Easy tips for FPS optimization with minimal quality loss?

Just wondering if there are any tactics to keeping graphics looking good while gaining some frames, especially when dealing with high part count/large spaceships and stations.

I've seen youtube videos where people have impossibly big space stations with very little frame loss. I have my physics per frame bar all the way at the right, but there must be some more tricks :)

Thanks!

A lot of the videos you see, especially from Scott Manley, are actually sped up footage. Nearly all Scott's videos are sped up 4x in post-production, with commentary added later, which is why his video looks so smooth. Additionally, many youtubers/streamers have extra-powerful hardware setups. Aside from having a really beefy computer, there's not much you can do besides turning the graphics down.

Cooling.

I've been playing GTA4 lately. My FPS goes from slow motion to fast forward, depending on how warm the laptop is. If KSP taxes your computer like that, pay attention to cooling. Put a fan near it, nudge it away from any obstructions, blow the dust off the graphics card.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.