KSP automators idea!

Think of this as "wire mod" is for Gmod. The idea is to have logical gates,sensors and actuators that, once wired properly, can make things go "alone".

For example, imagine you add a altitude sensor on a plane.

You then add a logical gate and a actuator, for example, in the tail of the pane, and sick it to the fin.

This can be set up by connecting wires graphically and little windows for advanced options of each actuator/gate/sensor.

Then you wire all up and make the system follow this:

IF "altimeter lecture < 1000", the actuator toggles ON.

The actuator is set to move the fin only 30% upwards

Then the actuator toggles OFF when altimeter lecture is, for example, >3000

With this, a stable plane could fly by its own between 1000 and 3000m till its out of fuel!

As awesome this could seem, you can take if further, and make autonomous rockets to the Mun or even send rovers to Duna! :D Taking KSP to a new level!!

If I knew how to code id spend my time on this!!

Some examples of parts that could be added:

Altitude sensor

GPS

Pressure sensor

Air intake sensor

Left fuel sensor

Speed sensor

Throttle actuator

fin actuator

gear actuator

light actuator

decoupler actuator

*anything togglable* actuator

Any ideas? Comments?

As awesome this could seem, you can take if further, and make autonomous rockets to the Mun or even send rovers to Duna! :D Taking KSP to a new level!!

Automation/Autopilot is something that won't be in the stock game, it's listed under what not to suggest.

If you want to delve into that sort of thing there's mods, MechJeb for autopilot and RemoteTech for sending remote commands.

Automation/Autopilot is something that won't be in the stock game, it's listed under what not to suggest.

If you want to delve into that sort of thing there's mods, MechJeb for autopilot and RemoteTech for sending remote commands.

I know, Im not suggesting this for the stock game.

I know those mods, but those mods are not what I am suggesting.

No, I suggest a collection of parts that can be added to the ships. Parts such as a altitude sensor, or a AND gate, and another part to move the aircraft control surface.

Then you wire them up as in this application, just click and drag and you draw a wire:

http://dcaclab.com/en/lab

This way you can add multiple parts (sensors, actuators, and logic gates) and then wire them up graphically as you want.

Also, some parts (as logic gates or actuators) can have a little window displayed to tweak options on it..

Nothing is coded, you wire up the system the same way you stack rocket parts and try them.

What you are describing is an Object Oriented GUI for scripting flight control. Personally, this sounds like something I would like, but I don't think we will see this in KSP 1.0. Would be slick if a modder could add something like this. That's one of the great things about this game, modders have the time to put into creating things that add icing to the cake.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

I love the idea! This definitely can be implemented by a modder. And easily (well it would take some time, but the logic is easy to see!): Imagine this: we already have our science equipment. Add some more mesuring altitude and stuff. create a new "line" (like the fuel line, but it only sends data). Make the instruments continuously send their readings - which in modding terms would be like resources - but only through a "data line". make parts that act only when they get a certain amount of data (resources). And there you go!

That's a very veeeeerry crude idea on how it could be done, but nevertheless it should easily work without too much headache.

What do you think?

Cheers!

"What not to suggest" does not mean it won't be in KSP.

Multiple ongoing missions and autonomous Kerbals manning those missions (at varying rates of success depending on their personality and experience) is planned for KSP.

So some sort of automation for unmanned missions does seem feasible, though more likely it will be in the form of a programmable flight computer along the lines of what Mechjeb has. And it might not be stock, but modders can do almost anything.

I love the idea! This definitely can be implemented by a modder. And easily (well it would take some time, but the logic is easy to see!): Imagine this: we already have our science equipment. Add some more mesuring altitude and stuff. create a new "line" (like the fuel line, but it only sends data). Make the instruments continuously send their readings - which in modding terms would be like resources - but only through a "data line". make parts that act only when they get a certain amount of data (resources). And there you go!

That's a very veeeeerry crude idea on how it could be done, but nevertheless it should easily work without too much headache.

Cheers!

Exactly! Thats what I was talking about!

You can end up with lots of equipment and wire it in different ways, adding complexity to the game!

Imagine setting up a skycrane for Duna!!

You misunderstand what is meant by automation, here. The OP is talking about a way of giving your rocket instructions by use of a predetermined set of logic parts, assembled and organised by the player. That means the player still has to work out all the burn timings and turns and everything themselves. There is no "automation" in the mechjeb/remotech sense, because that is the computer essentially flying the ship for the player.

Say you own an aeroplane, and you lend it to someone to fly it. They don't know how to fly.

You can either give them carefully written instructions on how to operate the plane, or you can just put the autopilot on, and the plane can fly itself.

The difference is the same. :)

I'd be all for this as part of the stock game, it'd be a new challenge to land on the mun 'hands free' as it were.

I was thinking about making an addon for this same idea.

Automated action groups

Although, my interest was more focused on simplifying things when using a rocket by "programming" behaviours before taking off, so you don't have to grow a third hand trying to reach a key during critical maneuvers.

Is anybody interested enough to make this? Maybe with between various people? Using a part didn't cross my mind, but I don't fully understand how addons are implemented in the game.

EDIT: The URL was wrong

Edited by SebLavK

But it's not automation as in the sense of scripting ("when at this altitude, this speed, execute this maneuver"). It's more of - like what the Capt'n said - a visual programming sort of thing. Like the things you see in lab view. I.e. drop a part here, drop another one there, hook them up, tell this part to start firing when the other part sends the correct value (could be altimeter sending altitude, thermometer sending temperature data, whatever).

But point being is that unlike mechjeb Autom8, you're not writing the scripts but designing them, visually, like - and dare i say - "Redstone".

Oh and to any modder that creates this please credit the OP and me for ideas :P

Cheers!

EDIT: you made a mistake writing the URL of the page you sent (probably put the URL inside the brackets instead of after the URL= part :P) but anyway as you see from what I posted what we're talking about here different.

Edited by eurybaric
adding an edit :P

but anyway as you see from what I posted what we're talking about here different.

Actually, I think it is. When thinking about making the plugin myself I thought of making a GUI.

tell this part to start firing when the other part sends the correct value (could be altimeter sending altitude, thermometer sending temperature data, whatever).

With that kind of "design" you would need to put a couple of inputs for the action to occur (e.g.: the thermometer reading X, or the altitude reading Y -> decouple a bomb)

I was thinking of doing it with action groups. Open up the GUI, write an altitude and link it to the AG you want. Or linking a part, like a Gigantor solar panel to deploy itself only if one of the small panels catches some light.

Maybe a skycrane to decouple when your rover touches the surface or your spaceplane to switch engines at an altitude.

Are these really so different from what you had in mind?

With that kind of "design" you would need to put a couple of inputs for the action to occur (e.g.: the thermometer reading X, or the altitude reading Y -> decouple a bomb)

I was thinking of doing it with action groups. Open up the GUI, write an altitude and link it to the AG you want. Or linking a part, like a Gigantor solar panel to deploy itself only if one of the small panels catches some light.

Maybe a skycrane to decouple when your rover touches the surface or your spaceplane to switch engines at an altitude.

Are these really so different from what you had in mind?

Well, the idea of having sensors sending data to little "brains" or logic gates. This way, the ship can think by its own. Of course, you could toggle ON/OFF different "logic gates" in case your ship is very complex, but making everything work is part of the fun!

The idea is that those actions are triggered by sensors, which can be of any kind).

Yes, I get your vision. Maybe a few parts added to the science tab that read temperature, altitude, light intensity... And then use those parts to trigger actions.

I want to make this, but I should learn how to write addons for the game.

• 2 weeks later...
This would be nicer for action groups, however I think it should be emphesized that the guidence systems wouldn't know anything without information from either communication channels, or onboard sensors.

Of course, this system relies on 3 types of different elements.

1)On board sensors

2)Logic gates

3)Actuators

4)(wires)

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been thinking about this...

I think it is possible to do within the game limits. Some coder with the knowledge could do this.

I think this because parachutes "know" when to open, this means the game is capable of having objects know when to trigger.

I know how to model in Blender, but need a coder to code everything!

Someone up to try this game-changing mod?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.