[IMPORTANT RESEARCH - PLEASE HELP]. Figuring the average LKO altitude.

AncientAstronaut

Typically I use a 75*75 km orbit for any ships that will be leaving Kerbin, if the ship is going to be staying in LKO I'll usually use anywhere between a 80*80 km - 95*95 km orbit. Space stations under construction and Fuel Depot's on the other hand usually orbit at about 100*100 km, and then the space stations are boosted up to 300*300 km when completed. Satellites (I use RemoteTech) usually rest at about 2868.75*2868.75 km for a synchronous orbit but I would consider that MKO rather than LKO.

I've never assembled a station, but I generally launch as close to a 70 km as possible. I do this so I can make optimal burns using the Oberth Effect.

If I did make a station, it would probably be at 80 km, just because I don't like to stray far from the norm; I do assemble some multi-part interplanetary craft at this altitude since it's easier to orbit lower to catch up for a rendezvous.

I tend to park things on a 100km circular orbit a) cos it's a round number, B) craft can lower or raise their Pe to do rendezvous.

My station is on a 400km circular orbit, just cos I felt like it, no actual thought out reason aside from keeping it away from clutter of things in lower orbits. My previous station was at 200-250km to be more like the ISS (i think), but I thought I'd be different this time around.

My satellites round Kerbin are on elliptical orbits of 600km by 4.5GM (kinda molniya orbit-ish) and that's working out better than before when they sat on circular 600km orbits. I guess those would move in and out of LKO, depending on where you consider LKO's limit to be.

High Kerbin Orbit is 2,868.75km (AKA GeoStationary) that is used by geostationary sats and atmosphere reaches out to 70km so you have to decide how thick the bands are before you decide what is actually Low, Medium and High orbits actually are. If you say 100km bands and a 50k buffer from atmo the LKO would be 120km to 220km.

Here is an impossible task for you... Go into Munar Geostationary Orbit. :wink:

For me it's anywhere between 75-120km, maybe slightly more if the apoapsis creeps up on me before I shut off engines.

In my old save I ended up cluttering up LKO with probe landers and orbiters as they waited for transfer windows; it wasn't uncommon to have close passes of less than 5km.

Generally going for circular orbits, would consider below 200~250 km to be LKO.

90-110 km I put temporary construction/docking, waiting for transfers.

Currently building a station at 120 km, apart from temporary stuff this is as close to Kerbin I've ever (intentionally) placed anything.

If I ever manage to build an SSTO (I build all my stuff from scratch) that works I'll probably aim for a refueling station at 80 km. I'd never dare to go closer than that.

I usually don't plan well for debris reduction and something often gets dropped around 100 km or so, making this area a bit dangerous. This save I'm trying to do better but eventually it'll get crowded...

Earlier stations I've all constructed at stationary orbit.

As I'm currently on a bit of a break from KSP (got into X3:Albion Prelude somehow), I don't have much in .21 (was setting up my initial RT comsat array when I stopped, so the only thing I have in LKO is four RT microsats at 400km). However, in the past since I've yet to complete a gravity turn with FAR that leaves me with an AP under 90 km, that's generally the lowest orbit I have. Other than that though, it varies greatly depending on what it it that I'm launching, what mood I'm in, and whether or not Bigfoot has been spotted on that day... In all seriousness though, in .20 I had three stations; one at 95 km circular (my 'gas' station), one at 500 km circular (my 'main' station), and one in the closest approximation of a Molniya orbit that I could manage (my 'why not' station). Other than that, my LKO was nearing Kessler Syndrome levels of satellites, in all manner of orbits.

I guess I'm not being very helpful in this case... Oh well, what can I say? I tend to be a sort of 'shoot from the hip' sort of KSP player...

I generally park 90% of my rockets and probes at 100km circular orbits.

I tend to drop my Kerbin Satellites between 200km and 500km; except for my geosynchronous net, which is (obviously :rolleyes:) at 2868km, but since that's not really LKO, that doesn't count. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.