If KSP had some Take on Mars elements...

Cesrate

Well, we've already got the main element - that being, rovers that flip or break unexpectedly and for no good reason. :cool:

Also sometimes for expected and good reasons, like ramping off the edge of a crater on the Mun at 10 m/s. :blush:

It looks great and I'm all for the realism aspect but I don't think there is enough content in the game to give it any longevity.

It's good that games based on science are considered worth publishing though, I hope it's a success.

it'll nice if the two projects merge

I seriously hope not. The gameplay from Take in Mars looked pretty static and boring based on the video I watched. KSP is a wonderful sandbox game, ToM is an on-rails pseudo arcade game, it would really suck to see KSP diminished like that.

Take a rover, slap on some Lazor Mod Cameras (the camera mod that goes with the Lazor mod), a Lazor, some pointy bits, DR/IR mod parts... fly it to Duna, and hey presto when you land you get all of the Take on Mars gameplay...

... ok you will have to pat yourself on the back each time you actually do something, but I assume we lot are capable of doing that and dont need the game to congratulate us every 5 secs (like some other games I could mention, that will give you an achievement for actually pressing the reload button... well almost that bad, nearly there).

Lets see, Take on Mars has a basic construction with lander base and you get to slap on some equipment, you cant fly it there, you cant actually land it, all you really get to do is drive a mostly pre-built rover around on a reddish glowing desert terrain with red rocks sprinkled about the place and play with some moving bits on the rover... what part is missing from KSP again ?

2 different engines, would be hard too merge ;)

Now Planet Explorers and KSP merging together.. (both Unity Games) that would be something..

It would solve right away any colony building dreams of everyone :P

But like someone said, a man can dream, right :D

I seriously hope not. The gameplay from Take in Mars looked pretty static and boring based on the video I watched. KSP is a wonderful sandbox game, ToM is an on-rails pseudo arcade game, it would really suck to see KSP diminished like that.

I agree. Take on Mars didn't look nearly as interesting as KSP is; when I saw it I thought it looked kinda cool, but it didn't hook me like KSP did.

Science missions are planned for KSP.

I've got Take on Mars, and while it looks very nice and i enjoy playing it, the gameplay is a sub-set of the gameplay that KSP promises to offer.

The one thing that ToM has that KSP might not have (but that i secretly hope it will have eventually) is the gorgeously beautiful planet surface.

The one thing that ToM has that KSP might not have (but that i secretly hope it will have eventually) is the gorgeously beautiful planet surface.

Really beautiful terrain is much easier when you're hand carving it and decorating in small designated mission areas instead of an entire planet.

ToM an arcade game? As opposed to KSP?! I think that's unfair :)

ToM focus a bit more on real science and real scenery. That's why it is a bit slow and... well, more boring. But fascinating just the same. The equipment you can attach are real-life instruments used on the current Mars rovers, and the landscape you are exploring is real-world places - not fictional or procedurally generated. Try to Google the craters. It requires a lot of patience to go anywhere, and you don't just race across the surface with RCS thrusters (or rockets for that matter). If anything, I think KSP is the most "arcady" in comparison. But also the most fun. I like both, but they are different.

He was talking about merging.. That would mean we would have the great sandbox qualities of KSP but at the same time we can actually use rovers for science stuff instead of just driving on a plain planet with nothing but a few easter eggs.

And I dont understand how you can call it aracade, when it is in fact a pretty pure sim when it comes to the actual probes and rovers. It is just very limited since it has nothing but rovers and probes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.