Space Station 13 Server: KSS

MalletFace

Space Station 13 is a game made using the BYOND game making engine that simulates life aboard a space station, and the main point in the game is to stay alive the whole round. You can play as one of the doctors, engineers, security, or in many other roles, and do your part in keeping the station together. However, some players may be assigned the role of a traitorous crew member, an operative of another organization, or even a space ninja. They are only placed there to make somebody’s job harder, or even to kill them. Sometimes the admins may even decide they want to have a little fun, and will turn someone, or even themselves, into one of these antagonists.

I’m hosting a server for this game, and I hope that some KSP forum-goers are interested in dropping in occasionally. Right now, there isn't much about the server that is customized, besides the KSS prefix to the server name, but I am looking to make this server a fun place for people with a common interest in KSP to have some fun in space.

The current admins are likely to be lenient on roleplay. (We are okay with a botanist doing first aid or opening an oxygen canister, but a botanist doing neural surgery or turning on the singularity is not acceptable.) Other rules, however, we are still discussing. I, along with the other admins, have only ever had to permaban one person for causing a problem, and we really don't want to have to permaban too many more.

If you have never played Space Station 13, all you have to do is download the free BYOND client, set up a BYOND account here, and choose a Space Station 13 server. I am trying to create a few video tutorials for this server to teach new players how to use the interface, how to do specific roles, and how to follow the server rules while still having some mischievous fun, as almost every tutorial is either a Let's Play with some general advice, a person showing how not to play the game properly, or for a different/outdated station build.

A good resource to use is the wiki for each build. This server runs a nearly up to date /tg/station build, and the /tg/station wiki can be found here. If you have never played the game, and you don't want to play it before you see it or learn about it, one of the wikis is a good place to start. Please remember that none of this applies to all stations, but most of the ideas and guides work well in most cases.

For those who know how to connect in the cool way: byond://24.74.59.137:3306

For those who don't, you can use the "Games" tab in the BYOND client, click Space Station 13, and search for KSS, or you can visit the hub page and search for KSS there.

Current Game Admins:

MalletFace - Game Master

Diamand_Dude - Game Master

Flipy222 - Designated Station Guy (Don't ask)

We hope to see some of you drop in! :)

We advise players new to the game to use our server when there aren't too many people on to learn how to play. There are other servers that don't have many people on, but they are not restarted too often.

We are okay with the station being accidentally destroyed when nobody is on. Its all about learning.

Please try to remember that we are not the Goons, Baystation, or Yog groups, and we do not have a large number of server regulars, yet. We are trying to do our own thing, and are trying to purge ourselves of the ERP and griefing admin-filled nightmares some other stations have become.

(I'm hesitant to say I might have to, but if I do, I will update this information as needed. I would like to see that my server gets used and adapted, but who knows if it will.)

Edited by MalletFace

If anyone does happen to join and your connection fails often or almost immediately, let me know here, or try to let an admin know if they are on the server. Several servers are having this problem for numerous reasons, and we need to know if it is happening to our server.

There is not a single player version, as almost all BYOND games are and have to be based around player interaction. If you are concerned about griefing players, most servers have admins that deal with them swiftly. There are servers where admins themselves are griefers, or sandbox servers where almost anything goes, but those are best to be avoided.

Yeah, its just about that i travel sometimes and lack an internet connection most of the time.

Edit: Im properly gonna be laggy as a internet connection thou a brick for today...

Edit2: I keep getting "Connecting...Failed" every other time i try to join i don't know whether that my brick internet or its server side and the other time the download stops and says "Connection...Failed" and the continues.

Edited by hotmailcompany52

I hate when I don't have a good internet connection. All of my hobbies and "jobs" really need internet to be fully realized.

On another topic, the admins and I were considering organizing a unique event at some time to get people interested in the server, and on the server at one time. We get quite a few people on the server, but not too many at the same time.

We were wondering how many KSP forum users actually play SS13, and how many of you would be interested in a special event. It would likely be some type of PvP, battle related event, but there are so many possibilities there, and even some other types of special event the three of us couldn't come up with. Right now, all of the ideas we have are (None of these may sound smart, but neither are we :P) a wizard 2v2 tourney-based event, a battle where players are provided armor and weapons and placed in teams, and some type of monkey related event.

If you play SS13, and you would be interested in such an event, or you have an idea for one, it would be greatly appreciated if you voice your opinion here.

Please note that if this does happen, and we get some players together at the same time, it will not be something that happens every round, everyday.

Edit: I've not seen someone get rejected on our server before they even get in yet, or even on another server. Some amount of lag is normal for BYOND games, though. BYOND isn't the best engine, but it offers some interesting possibilities.

Edited by MalletFace

The server isn't down, but the connection of players has been failing on several servers, and not too many people are sure why. I believe it is only happening to stations running a current /tg/station build. I've been trying to figure out why it does and doesn't fail for certain users at random, and the problem is noted on the server, and on my second post in this thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.