[WIP] RamJet - JonzCo Enterprises

Jahulath

Introducing the JonzcCo RamJet!

This beauty will take you to space and beyond* without the slightest worry of engine trouble**. Activation is as easy as flicking a switch with these engines***. Enjoy flying in safety and speed with JonzCo Enterprises. Also available for no additional fee are a set of two brand new radially mounted air intakes - so good they actually do what they are meant to.

*Atmosphere required for operation

** Studies have shown that engine explosion due to overheating is an almost 100% certainty during extended use. Warranty void if engine is activated beyond the product return threshold of 483 miliseconds.

***on a vehicle travelling at a minimum of mach one (Researchers have found this to be ~340 m/s). Activation below this speed will result in substantial fuel loss.

UPDATE: Following a dull morning I set about making a few air scoops to go with this engine. I got two working fine but the third is a bust (I know there is a shape but I can't find it) you can see it looking embarrased at the top of this non flying example rocket for picture purposes only....

Hi folks, I made a RamJet. The model is fine but the .cfg is a bit screwy and I am trying to learn heat animations but with little effect :confused: I know there is a light or glow missing but I can't find out where or how it's placed there (Unity? Blender?)...

In it's current state it is probably a still little OP but much less. It is heavy for the thrust and only hits max thrust at 2000m/s+ so it will be a long hot windup to get there I promise. In exchange for the nerfing I have returned the ability to throttle it so mush less explosions (aww) but because it is a RamJet it still won't produce thrust below about 340m/s and even then it prefers Mach 2 to get working properly. I appreciate this is not really the scientific NASA Thrustmaster approach but I kinda withered looking at it.

Feel free to add in and tell me the meaning of the text below, as you can see I worked out the first two columns of Velocity Curve but that's about as far as I got:

atmosphereCurve

{

// Based on Isp/TSFC data from NASA EngineSim, and Kerbin atmo.

key = 0 800 0 2.8E+07

key = 7.5E-06 2216 0 0

key = 0.0006 1865 0 0

key = 0.11 2085 0 0

key = 1 1800 -400 0

}

velocityCurve

{

// Totally made up by Jahulath to kindof look right UPDATED!

//Key

//<Speed> <Thrust><Animation or Speed Curve tangent?>

key = 340 0 0 0

key = 680 0.2 0 0

key = 1020 0.4 0 0

key = 1360 0.6 0 0

key = 1700 0.8 0 0

key = 2040 1.0 0 0

}

You can download this VERY beta release here but like I said, it's OP because of the fuel curve and my not knowing what all the zeros are everywhere on that code although it is a lot better for a good nerfing.

You can download the HD version here please note that the Normal maps are trash as I need a bum load more detail but the basic shape is there.

There are some air intakes as pictured available here please have a look and give feedback, I am unsure whether to make them more shiny or something. They are intentionally dull and boring little bits of kit, I feel that the stock horns can be a bit ostentatious and wanted something that would look a bit more streamlined without being too "moddy".

Some pictures, sorry if they're big:

tL0soA7.png

smMUQSo.jpg

fUf9uqd.png

DSu0odS.png

6ovRc5Q.png

Edited by Jahulath

For the velocity curve:

key = X Y a b

a and b are both unused, the curve code they used also happens to be used for animations, a and b relate to frames of the animation; but that doesn't apply so always leave them at 0

X is the velocity

Y is the percentage of thrust in decimal, so you're saying that 330m/s the engine has no thrust, at 340m/s it has 30% thrust, at 1020m/s it has 70%, at 2400 it has 120% thrust, plus the other keys, and with a curve fitting between them all

Your example aircraft should be incapable of taking off, but also 330m/s is pretty slow. Additionally, it seems like ever having Y > 1 is just wrong, you should up the thrust rating of the engine, and refit the curve to max at 1.0, but that's just me, if it works it works.

The models look pretty nice and the textures fit KSP pretty well, though obviously there's a lot of weird going on in some specific places; crackling around the nozels, weird crimping on the pipes (I would lose them entirely...) and the intake area looks odd. I hope you keep working on these, we don't have enough jet engines.

Btw, have you taken these for a test flight yet? because they're surface attach they shouldn't be receiving fuel right now, you need to use a fuel line from the fuel tanks (either) to the wing, and from the wing to each engine; as fuel does not flow through surface attaches. Currently there's no workaround for that so you may want to make your own fuel duct that matches the theme

Edited by Greys

Gave these a quick test, so far so good bud =)

Bit of tweeking/balancing is needed, but not to far off.

As far as how they look I think they are brilliant. There is a bit a crimping on the pipes, but its really not noticable ingame, and the pipes are nice touch. My only suggestion would be ditch the 'spike' up front and make a block funnel style intake.

Can def see myself using these for all my long range jets on Kerbin.., couple of these on a spaceship would make nice lil aerobraking engines.

Looking forward to see how these progress.

Your example aircraft should be incapable of taking off, but also 330m/s is pretty slow. Additionally, it seems like ever having Y > 1 is just wrong, you should up the thrust rating of the engine, and refit the curve to max at 1.0, but that's just me, if it works it works.

The models look pretty nice and the textures fit KSP pretty well, though obviously there's a lot of weird going on in some specific places; crackling around the nozels, weird crimping on the pipes (I would lose them entirely...) and the intake area looks odd. I hope you keep working on these, we don't have enough jet engines.

Btw, have you taken these for a test flight yet? because they're surface attach they shouldn't be receiving fuel right now, you need to use a fuel line from the fuel tanks (either) to the wing, and from the wing to each engine; as fuel does not flow through surface attaches. Currently there's no workaround for that so you may want to make your own fuel duct that matches the theme

Hi Grays, thanks for the feedback, yes my example craft was just a tart for the photo's she'd never have done any work. I took your advise on the curve though and instigated a bit of a nerfing to the good of the engine I feel! I've never seen the effect you mention with surface attach though, either playing or testing this, I will keep my eyes open. I asked the engineers about the crackling on the paint job you asked about and they told me it's due to Bees, I didn't ask after that.. My crimping pipes are intentional ;.; they are meant to look like this stuff TjxuWnN.jpg - I've been staring at pictures of earth from space and the ATVs/space station are all about crinkly pipes, it's like a thing, a crinkly pipes thing...

I was under the impression that the last two numbers in the curves were the in and out tangents at that point, that is, "key = x y 0 0" would make the curve horizontal at that point.
That sounds a lot more likely than non working keyframes as it explains the presence and numeric similarity in atmosphere curve - right down to ending on a steep curve for the highest point! Now all I need to know is what column 1 of Atmosphere curve does... It looks like a 0-1 percentage type modifier but I can't tell if it does anything :huh:

Thinking now, since you've got a surface attatch Engine, you may have the only situation where fuel will flow through a surface attach, interesting...

Atmosphere curve should be key = percent-of-atmo-density@kerbin-sealevel ISP a b

so with the stock jetEngine (whichever one that is I don't know)

atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 1000
key = 0.3 1800
key = 1 2000
}

At 1.0 atmosphere, ISP 2000

At 0.3 atmospheres, ISP 1800

in a vacuum, ISP 1000

the turbofan on the other hand has peak efficiency at 0.3 atmospheres

atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 1200
key = 0.3 2500
key = 1 800
}

Note how the stock atmosphereCurve keys only have 2 values

Also note that fuel use is a factor of ISP @ thrust, not throttle.

So as your velocityCurve lowers your thrust output, you will inherently use less fuel even if the ISP is stable.

Edited by Greys

FAR Seems to have made this not work for me... The engine produces no thrust above 400 M/s.. Or even 330. Sometimes it has briefly 10-25 thrust, but decreases again to 0

Well thats embarrassing, for about 20 mins yesterday I had a version with the Min and Max thrust mixed up (yeah I know, I spotted it hmmkay) - redownload you are the one who managed to download it during that bit!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.