[WIP] KSP Display (Physical Display) *Update 9-23-13*

ChaseHQ

This looks amazing. Quick question: how do you program the conditions for the master alarm? Is it an in-game UI, something in the VAB, or a config file somewhere? I love the look of the Apollo guidance computer and if you manage to replicate that it'll be amazing.

In-Game UI

This is pretty awesome. I'm sort of into this sorta thing, but I just don't have the money to get all the parts and play around as much as I'd like. Can't wait to see more of this. :)

My not so great idea for the navball is to first make a tablet sized ball in Android that you can drag around with your fingertips to set your heading. When you "let go" of the navball, the ship/mechjeb/asas moves the craft to the attitude you chose. Could be useful to set your heading when you're like me and have zero skill in adjusting via roll/pitch/yaw.

Once that is working, you could have a physical navball like this: a button for each of the standard maneuver nodes and a small indicator that points "straight up" over the ball. First you'd press one of the buttons (like prograde, towards-target etc), You'd then move the ball like before, then hit a final "commit" button.

Could be a good step before a "real" navball that mimics the UI version.

Could you implement the part module (ie. the one that sends the readouts to the thing from ksp, that is currently equipped on the external part) into the stock command pods? Just to remove the part-based requirement.

(Note: I know basically nothing of KSP Plugin code)

Could you implement the part module (ie. the one that sends the readouts to the thing from ksp, that is currently equipped on the external part) into the stock command pods? Just to remove the part-based requirement.

(Note: I know basically nothing of KSP Plugin code)

Yes, you could do that. There's another method you could use to have it start automatically for every craft without needing to modify any parts. The code would look something like this:

[KSPAddon(KSPAddon.Startup.Flight, false)]
public class MyPlugin: MonoBehaviour
{
public void Update
{
}
}

• 2 weeks later...

**Update** 9/5/2013

The mainboard PCB's came in and are assembled, here is what they look like all soldered up!

1gpUlqx.jpg

HZWrXNr.jpg

The Main LED Display Boards went Out for Printing today, here are the Fab pic's!

ot8HTLoh.png

EZcEjnWh.png

Changes

• I changed the 7 Segment LED's to all Bright Green LED's (Looks more Apolloish and better)
  • I've created custom inlays for each of the 6 Analog Displays

I'm Still looking for anyone in the community who can do Enclosure Fabrications - I Will send them a Prototype if they can help me out in this area!

Once the Display Board's come in I will post a Video with a fully assembled KSP Display

What kind of enclosure would you want for all this? Would be really easy to make badass looking inclosure with some thin plywood, a gallon of Bondo and some paint. Could make anything ya want that way pretty easy, as the plywood can be tacked together with light L brackets into general shape, then 1/8 inch Bondo 'body' on that, easy as pie =)

What kind of enclosure would you want for all this? Would be really easy to make badass looking inclosure with some thin plywood, a gallon of Bondo and some paint. Could make anything ya want that way pretty easy, as the plywood can be tacked together with light L brackets into general shape, then 1/8 inch Bondo 'body' on that, easy as pie =)

Chase you should seriously consider something like this. Doing a metal enclosure admittedly does look and feel nicer, but can get prohibitively expensive to both fabricate and ship very quickly.

Chase you should seriously consider something like this. Doing a metal enclosure admittedly does look and feel nicer, but can get prohibitively expensive to both fabricate and ship very quickly.

I would love to see what the community comes up with.

Thanks guys but im seriously looking for someone, or anyone I can give detailed dimensions to. If they come up with some nice design I wouldn't mind sending them a prototype for fitting.

Someone on reddit mentioned this company. Is that an option?

Or do you just need a design first before you send it to a company? If thats the case I could whip up a 3-d model if I had the dimensions. I can also test with my 3-d printer.

Edited by Nate072

I can work with you on the enclosure fabrication if you like, I can have something modelled and printed out within a few hours, and managed to tweak my machine to print very fast draft modes, so I can cut a 6 hour print down to about 1 hour. Send me a PM if you want me to print out any prototypes. I can print down to 0.1mm from a 0.3mm nozzle, so I can get fairly accurate details - I have made a tonne of micro quad copter bodies, which are all very small and precisely measured.

• 2 weeks later...

Information for taking a stab at the enclosure

The Display Boards are 103.81x41.91 mm, The actual 7 Segment LED's come off the base of that board are 8mm in depth and 25x19.05mm per 2 LED's (They are in packages of 2 so a board with 8 LEDs it's 25mm in width * 4), the Actual Control board is 76.45x76.45 mm. The individual 6 analog displays are 64x56mm and need 57mm of clearance in depth.

Amazing work. A suggestion on my part for the alarms. Use an extra display and when an alarm goes off along with an audio signal and a big red LED on at the display you should show what kind of alarm it is (fuel, altitude etc.) From what i can understand someone can program what kind of alarms they want via a plugin you wrote, if that's the case it would be neat to able to program what to show on the display (eg. 1201 :sticktongue: etc.)

Amazing work. A suggestion on my part for the alarms. Use an extra display and when an alarm goes off along with an audio signal and a big red LED on at the display you should show what kind of alarm it is (fuel, altitude etc.) From what i can understand someone can program what kind of alarms they want via a plugin you wrote, if that's the case it would be neat to able to program what to show on the display (eg. 1201 :sticktongue: etc.)

Hmm... I really like where you are going with this... In fact this is what I am going to do

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.