[WIP] KSP Display (Physical Display) *Update 9-23-13*

ChaseHQ

Chase the reason I use the MAX7219 is that it can run 8x 7Segs and the dots, so you don't need any extra hardware to drive them, and you can change what dot you use.

I use mutiplexing, the controller can drive 64 7 Segment LED's as well as 6 Analog displays for literally a fraction of the price. The main goal of the entire project is to give the end user a great versatile product and keep it within a budget based price.

So whats the small chip on each of your 7Seg boards? I thought you were running each board individually.

And ya if you source the 7219 from a distributor like digikey or mouser they will rape you with high prices.

Edited by Donziboy2

Chase the reason I use the MAX7219 is that it can run 8x 7Segs and the dots, so you don't need any extra hardware to drive them, and you can change what dot you use.

HCT238 they go for about 29cents a pop, as opposed to the MAX7219, i think they are well over a buck each?

Cheapest I have found them, without using any fancy hidden suppliers is on ebay for about 50 cents a piece. It would possible reduce the size of the board since you would not need any jumpers to get Dots. They are SPI and self multiplexing so you send data and forget them, they only need 3 wires for data, a resistor and a 0.1uF cap.

Cheapest I have found them, without using any fancy hidden suppliers is on ebay for about 50 cents a piece. It would possible reduce the size of the board since you would not need any jumpers to get Dots. They are SPI and self multiplexing so you send data and forget them, they only need 3 wires for data, a resistor and a 0.1uF cap.

The jumpers dont increase the size of the board due to there needing to be some sort of IC on the board, so this is still the cheapest solution. The 238's are 29cents without a bulk order.

When it comes to thru-hole parts its not the cost of the part, its the cost of paying someone to install them for you. Or the hours you spend doing it yourself. And they charge by the square inch for board space, I was thinking take the IC and stick it on the back side of the board, dead center of the 7Segs.

No matter what IC you go with, consider shrinking that board alot, the cheaper the boards the cheaper the whole thing is to make since you need several boards per setup.

• 1 month later...

Furthermore, are you planning on monetizing this, or will you be releasing the source(s)? I'd love to take a crack at making my own displays for this if you release the plugin. I have a few of LadyAda's I2c 7-segment displays laying around.

HCT238 they go for about 29cents a pop, as opposed to the MAX7219, i think they are well over a buck each?

I see $3-4 as the nominal going price the for the chip itself, with some vendors $10 or more.

To that end however, there are some vendors carrying complete displays for about $10.

See:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121031909296?lpid=82

http://www.miniinthebox.com/max7219-digital-display-module_p605074.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&pla_adwid=9286587055_138822303_9269801703_60577791783&gclid=CPvuz46T07oCFYdQ7Aod0kYAVg

I don't know what your cost is on the displays you made, but that last one looks like a winner. 8x 7-segs with dot, 3 wire interface, infinitely daisy-chainable, $7 each. Boards already have mounting holes. Outside of the headers being on the front (easily fixed with a soldering iron) I'd vote that display is being damn near perfect for this use. With the daisy-chain SPI interface you can also use as many or as few displays as you'd like.

• 1 month later...
I see $3-4 as the nominal going price the for the chip itself, with some vendors $10 or more.

To that end however, there are some vendors carrying complete displays for about $10.

See:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121031909296?lpid=82

http://www.miniinthebox.com/max7219-digital-display-module_p605074.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&pla_adwid=9286587055_138822303_9269801703_60577791783&gclid=CPvuz46T07oCFYdQ7Aod0kYAVg

I don't know what your cost is on the displays you made, but that last one looks like a winner. 8x 7-segs with dot, 3 wire interface, infinitely daisy-chainable, $7 each. Boards already have mounting holes. Outside of the headers being on the front (easily fixed with a soldering iron) I'd vote that display is being damn near perfect for this use. With the daisy-chain SPI interface you can also use as many or as few displays as you'd like.

I managed to get a hold of some of the ebay ones, an while the displays look good there are 2 downsides I see:

1. They dont actually include the chip. Must have misread the listing on that one.

2. There's no mounting holes or any other means of easily mounting them to something.

There are so many different situations that would call for completely different readouts to be used on each screen. Would making them programmable within the plugin in the same way as the alarm switches be a possibility?

Also how much would you guess the completed product might cost?

@Glockshna

My experience at this level is mostly hardware, and amateurish at best. I'm looking into making something like this myself and my current plans would permit the displays to be re-purposed. Using a MAX7219 based display puts each display in the $10-$20 range, and allows almost limitless expansion, as each display can be daisy chained off the previous. My sticking point is the software (getting the data out of KSP and into the displays). In theory using the MAX7219 allows each display to be addressed unique to its location (Display 1, Display 2, etc in sequence), meaning each can be re-used however you want. The problem I foresee is how do you indicate what each display represents if you start changing them?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I still have interest in replicating this. I found some cheap 8 digit 7-seg SPI displays and have been tinkering with sending them data from an arduino. My problem is getting the data out of KSP and into the arduino.

There is a plugin right here that does just that. Just drop it into your gamedata folder and it will send the info to serial (which the Arduino reads via usb).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66393-Hardware-Plugin-KSP-Arduino-based-physical-display-and-serial-port-plugin-%28WIP%29

There is a plugin right here that does just that. Just drop it into your gamedata folder and it will send the info to serial (which the Arduino reads via usb).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66393-Hardware-Plugin-KSP-Arduino-based-physical-display-and-serial-port-plugin-%28WIP%29

That ... is beautiful. I just got my new arduino last night, I will be tinkering with this!

This is a very very very Early development of this, as I mention in the video the USB Drivers I created are only for Windows at the moment, but it's an extremely easy port to Mac & Linux.

I'd love to see a Mac version of the plugin.. Where can I find it?

Would the Mac version of the plugin work with this?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66393-Hardware-Plugin-Arduino-based-physical-display-serial-port-io-tutorial-%2831-Jan%29?highlight=hardware

• 2 months later...

Good news, this project is not abandoned, just a bit on the side burner. I'm getting married in a month so more important things have taken it's place for the time being. But after I get back from the honeymoon, I will be full steam ahead again. I still have no luck in finding someone to make an enclosure though. Would still need assistance in that field. Thanks guys!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.