System requirements of .21 to .18

ParanoidMarvin

Hello all,

Been playing the demo for a while now, so naturally I need more of Kerbal goodness.

However my computer is starting to show it's age and am wondering if the .21 version

requires significantly more memory/processing/GFX resources.

Haven't been hooked like this in a game for a looooong time.

Here's this from the KSP homepage :)

Recommended System Specs:

* 2.0Ghz Dual Core CPU or higher (preferably higher)

* 4GB RAM

* 512MB Video Card, Shader Model 3.0

* 1GB Free HD space

* Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8

* An Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.6 or higher

* A Debian based Linux distro

Here's this from the KSP homepage :)

Recommended System Specs:

* 2.0Ghz Dual Core CPU or higher (preferably higher)

* 4GB RAM

* 512MB Video Card, Shader Model 3.0

* 1GB Free HD space

* Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8

* An Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.6 or higher

* A Debian based Linux distro

You can get away without that.

Actually I personally think, that 0.21 minimum specs compared to 0.18 (demo) are even lower, so it should run even smoother than the demo :)

v0.21 requires a lot more memory than the demo, in fact it even requires a considerable amount more memory than v0.20. A stock install now uses 1.4GB of memory just to launch the game making the minimum requirement 4GB RAM or more, and makes it almost unplayable on 32-bit systems due to the 2GB memory limit, as 2GB isn't enough even to play the game stock without periodic crashes. If you're experiencing a significant slowdown from the demo to the full game, it's likely that you don't have enough memory.

If you can run the demo, you can run .21, You may need to lower some graphics setting.

This is not always true. Just because your system can run the demo (0.18.3), doesn't mean you can run .21 with or without lags.

Seriously, I need to get a new CPU (and along with it, a new GPU because Intel HD Graphics is installed to CPU) so that I can play in a better performance.

I can guess a lot of you aren't using the integrated graphics, because I am. *sigh* :(

EDIT: Also, I use Windows 7 32-bits, with 4GT tuned.

Edited by Designer225

This is not always true. Just because your system can run the demo (0.18.3), doesn't mean you can run .21 with or without lags.

Seriously, I need to get a new CPU (and along with it, a new GPU because Intel HD Graphics is installed to CPU) so that I can play in a better performance.

I can guess a lot of you aren't using the integrated graphics, because I am. *sigh* :(

EDIT: Also, I use Windows 7 32-bits, with 4GT tuned.

I would advise against using 4 GB tuning, as it may disable hardware acceleration and make everything slower. Your CPU is pretty good and doesn't really need replacing, and integrated graphics doesn't cause KSP any real problems. Essentially you'd be better off reinstalling Windows 7 as the 64-bit version (backing up everything so it can all be reinstalled).

Thanks for the messages,

Requirements seem to be often quite subjective.

I have an AMD Atholon x2 5000+ 2.6GHz with 3GB of memory and a GeForce 8600GT. I use Debian Linux. Sadly for the game I also have constantly some virtual machines running on it in the background and a bunch of other stuff sucking up precious memory. You can imagine my 356 part rocket makes it lag, but it's still playable. I can land on the mün, haven't made it back yet tough.

I've only played the 0.18.3 demo so far. Guess memory is my biggest concern. Still I'll have to take the plunge and buy the full game soon.

Now if only I can magically summon some more free time for it :)