ISS Construction Journal [Image Heavy]

Mr Shifty

I haven't done anything with it in a couple months. There are a couple problems with the current configuration, and I've put in on hold while I work on other stuff. I have to figure out how much verisimilitude to sacrifice to fix what's wrong. (Specifically, the Quest airlock is on the wrong side of Unity, and I failed to include an easy way to move the P6 strut into its place on the power strut later.) I will probably come back to this at some point though.

• 4 months later...
Assembly Flight 1 A/R: Zarya (FGB)

Historical Note:

The first component of the ISS was the Functional Cargo Block (FGB) Zarya, which launched on a Proton-K rocket from Baikonur Cosmodrome on November 20, 1998.

Craft file:

http://www./view/3kf99vy3pec61ps/Proton_-_Zarya.craft

Mission Notes

• Zarya was launched to an initial altitude of 400km, and the ISS currently orbits between about 330km and 430km. I'll be using a 120km circular orbit in the KSP recreation. Kerbin is more than 10 times smaller than the Earth by linear scale, so any orbit that is outside Kerbin's atmosphere already "looks" higher than the ISS orbit when referencing the curvature of the planet so there's no point in shooting for perfect fidelity in this instance. 120km is reachable by Buran and gives me a nice buffer below so I can do catch-up orbits for rendezvous.
  • In its current configuration, Zarya's solar panels are permanently retracted so they don't interfere with the radiators on P1/S1. They're not attached to the FGB module on the ISS craft file from the ISS Community add-on. I attached them (I used the MIR core solar part from BobCat's Soviet pack) to remain faithful to Zarya's original configuration.
  • I removed the default crew because this was an uncrewed launch.

Lift-off. (I'll only include launch screenshots once for each kind of launcher.)

http://i.imgur.com/HYm5jJj.jpg

First stage separation:

http://i.imgur.com/h95g4Ij.jpg

Second stage separation and fairing ejection:

http://i.imgur.com/KK1KI8o.jpg

Zarya in orbit:

http://i.imgur.com/UVSNIFt.jpg

Next mission journal:

Assembly Flight 2A (STS-88): Unity, PMA-1, & PMA-2

How did you build Zarya? My mod only came with the American and European modules

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any specific reason why the Buran won't go off the launchpad for me?

Edit: If I build my own from scratch, it works fine, and I build an exact copy of the file. Neither the ones that come with BobcatInd or the one I downloaded from here work, the just float as if the TWR was exactly 1.0, even though Mechjeb says its 1.74

Edit Edit: The Buran manipulator is making it saty on the ground, its acting like a static object

Edited by Farlander2821
Problem has been partly fixed... or not

• 8 months later...
How did you build Zarya? My mod only came with the American and European modules

Bobcats Soviet Pack (Mir station specifically) has both the Zarya (ISS_TKS_FGB) and Zvezda (modified Mir Core) as well as one of the docking ports . . . I don't remember which one off hand.

Is there any specific reason why the Buran won't go off the launchpad for me?

Edit: If I build my own from scratch, it works fine, and I build an exact copy of the file. Neither the ones that come with BobcatInd or the one I downloaded from here work, the just float as if the TWR was exactly 1.0, even though Mechjeb says its 1.74

Edit Edit: The Buran manipulator is making it saty on the ground, its acting like a static object

Do you have the Romfarer Laser system mod?

I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to load stuff into the CSS cargo bay and gave up. I'm probably missing something obvious, but since the cargo bay is all one piece and not separate back and doors like Buran, I couldn't get it to work. CSS also, unlike Buran, cannot land without breaking wheels off, does not have a functioning crew hatch, and has unbalanced RCS. (Balanced linear RCS translation is critical for shuttle dockings.) I might switch to it when the mod is slightly more polished.

I don't know, in the final (to this point) CSS update in KSP 0.25, I wasa able to dock fine on its rcs (landing on the other hand...*shrugs* kept putting it in the drink)

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.