Development thread for the PAPI array plugin

asarium

Hello everyone,

This is the development thread for my PAPI plugin. This is the place to discuss the development of the plugin and I'm also going to post development updates here.

Currently I'm working on adding support for "static light arrays" which are just lights with a defined color.

That's it for now, I hope this will keep the release thread cleaner.

Regards,

asarium

I tried to make it possible to reload the config file(s) by pressing a button but KSP does preload all ConfigNodes which after that cannot be reloaded (at least I haven't found a way to do so).

Ok I'm not a coder, but if that's indeed not possible right now then it'll probably be possible in the future. Squad have said they want KSP to be able to load parts from the spaceport from within the game and that would necessarily require a way to load and reload files, including cfgs.

WRT the model, I'll get going with the base.

As for the emissive parts I think the best bet is to have two additional models which consist of only the light parts. One would be textured white with the emission set to white, and the other would be same but with red. You can then put all the models in the same place (I'll make sure they fit) and swap the visiblity of the models and sprites. How does that sound?

I'm still new to this so if anyone can think of a better way (like having more than one emissive colour, which I just thought of but I'm not sure it's even possible) then let me know.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I didn't really search for a solution as that wasn't the focus at the time I added the config system. A interactive GUI system is a better system in the long run, no need to hack the KSP API.

The emissive textures can be easily colored at runtime by using a simple shader which just multiplies the (white) texture with the desired color. That way a single texture can be used to produce every color.

• 3 weeks later...

How's your research going asarium? Any luck in figuring out how to add the model in? It's all ready and waiting. I've added the base, retextured it, and made a simple emission map. Let me know what format you want the model and textures in and I'll upload it somewhere.

I have considered switching to using a KerbTown module for this plugin as that would solve many issues I'm currently facing and it would also provide a fully functioning GUI.

How's your research going asarium? Any luck in figuring out how to add the model in? It's all ready and waiting. I've added the base, retextured it, and made a simple emission map. Let me know what format you want the model and textures in and I'll upload it somewhere.

Thank you very much, I'm not familiar with what model format KSP needs but all part models are distributed as .mu files so I think that is the way to go.

TbeyFht.jpg

I got the plugin to work with KerbTown! It actually wasn't that hard to do and now I have solved multiple problems I had before and the plugin now has an interactive editor :D

EDIT: Current source of the KerbTown port can be found here: https://github.com/asarium/PAPIPlugin/tree/feature/KerbTown

Edited by asarium

• 6 months later...

I wanted to use KerbTown (I think that is what it's called) for placing the arrays without having to use config files but that is sadly not being actively developed and the source code is not released under an open licence I can't do anything about it. I don't have the time to reimplement KerbTown-like functionality.

I would really like to use your the model you gave me but under these circumstances I sadly can't...

Check again. ;)

It's now open, and HoneyFox is updating it!

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know.

Huzzah!

It's been a while since I made that model, and I've learned some things. When you're ready let me know, because that model is actually badly exported. I'll need to give you a fixed version.

Thanks, I will let you know once I'm ready to actually use your model :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.