Getting starting with modding

Since this modding community is so active I though it'd be a good idea to ask ya'll for help. I'm a senior computer science student in louisiana, but honestly I have no idea how to apply what I know to anything practical. Pretty sad education, eh? I'm kidding, my concentration is Web Design, not game design. lol

Anyway, I know how to use 3DS Max and one of my classes starting in 2 weeks is on Maya. I also know Illustrator/Photoshop very well. On top of that my coding knowledge is several years of C++ and the various web languages like HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, etc etc. The sad thing is I have no idea what to do with what I know (unless it's for a website, lol).

So, with all that in mind I want to get into modding cause I'm bored out of my mind with school and want to learn something practical. If someone would like to help me learn I'd really appreciate that and would return the favor in any way possible. Any guides or help for getting started?

Here's something I copied from somewhere here - someone that is doing it wrote this

Blender for solid part modeling (free)

Gimp 2 for texture making (free)

Unity 4 with KSP addon for compiling and export to KSP (free)

...you just trying to troll me now? Quite mature of you.

Lol I dare say they are. I'm not going to point you to the big thread of tutorial threads as You have prolly already found it stickied, you already have all of the skills that you need. The biggest advantage is that you already know all of the "concepts" that you need so I would suggest that you start small, bash out a model and a texture and then pass it through the Unity system and get it in game, I'd expect it to take you about 2 hours to tweak and get your head around Unity for your first project but don't fear as it has a very Autodesk feel ;) there are plenty of tutorials, I watched a full hour length video by LLL that showed him creating an object right from the very first primitive and that was more than enough to get me up to speed (and then right back down the scale as soon as I tried to get fancy hehe).

Good luck! I'm new to KSP but have been messing with mods for years and Unity is lovely to work with (compared to NifScope for Bethesda stuff or the weirdness of X3).

yeah I found a few tutorial threads including that one, but I have some difficulty getting oriented when I start a project. That's why I asked for some guidance. So thanks, I'll try and stick to those threads and find that video.

Anyway Space Cowboy is just acting childish pissed off at me because I asked him to explain some incredibly short suggestions he made in different threads.

evilC did some interesting work with my TacLib: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37664-A-GUI-framework-for-modders. He was trying to create an example project that could help people get started writing plugins. Take a look at that and feel free to ask me any questions.

My library: https://github.com/taraniselsu/TacLib

evilC's fork: https://github.com/evilC/TacLib

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.